IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

Just did a proper Google Search to get the meaning:  FMI, FYI:

What is an Ictus in music?
Ictus. With the spoken word, ictus indicates the stress or accent on the syllable or foot of a verse. In music, the term ictus is used in conducting to denote the specific point in a visible pattern of beat points that articulates the pulse of the music to the ensemble.

And by my listening, I would say that the ER does a very nice job of it.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks--this might be the beginning of an up tic reported in SQ due to external/linear power supplies.  This is the first one that I see.  Perhaps others, but lots have tried various supplies (maybe a couple of dozen) and I don't remember seeing a clear consensus.  I would think by now, that there would be half a dozen folks with a particular power supply with very positive results.  Perhaps this post shows the way how to get an up tic?  Does this regulator board/power supply provide isolate power to two devices, which from the posts, seems to be a requirement to even maintain SQ--I have one ER now, but am thinking of using two in cascade along with an optical Module--and there I think you need the isolation.

Hello Alan

So if that is the case, what is the consensus on power supply?  I am ready to buy if I read that its the case.  I follow the Naim Forum, and there there was a clear consensus for the past couple of years that a Cisco 2960 gave a positive uplift in SQ.  Now they report a positive uplift with 2 Ciscos in cascade.  Almost all who try it reply in a positive manner.  The same here with the ER.  Most are very pleased.  I have posted there about my positive experience with the Cisco and ER in cascade in my system.  Unfortunately, the ER has not caught fire there like it has here.  A couple of positive reviews and a couple of serious evals going, but results appear to be coming sooooon.

What are the Power supply or supplies that most folks are going to to report positive SQ?  It seems that the power supply is very important, but most are happy with the SMPS and several have removed power supplies back to the SMPS.  I am looking for consensus, not just 1 or 2 here or there.  I open.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Perhaps its appropriate to break this topic of Power Supplies for the Er into its own thread.  If someone could go thru and pull all those

posts together, that would be great.  I realize that this takes time away from the forward going effort to procure, organize, and fabricate the parts for new ER's.  Perhaps someone with the necessary skills would want to volunteer to do that.  I don;t have the skills myself, but I would be a candidate for purchasing an external ps for my ER.  One problem is that Uptone/Alex/John has done a very good job of designing the SMPS that comes with the ER.  

• 4 weeks later...

I believe this is a multi-rail linear PSU, which does not have a shared ground.  So, yes, you should ground the eR. per Flashman;

From what I believe I read, this is only required if you are using multiple "A" ports.  For those using only one "A"port, the ground is not necessary.  This is for the case where the "B" port is the output to a dac or other.

On 3/21/2020 at 2:02 PM, octaviars said:

Older HD Plex only had three windings on the transformer so two outputs shared the -0V (12 and 19V). The latest 200W model have four seperate windings on the transformer so all outputs have seperated -0V.

I use the latest HD Plex 200W and run the 12V rail to my etherREGEN. As I only use one RJ45 on the A-side (fiber input from router) to my server I have tried both with and without grounded -0V but cant say that I hear any difference. 

Just this week got an email from HD Plex, introducing their 300W model with even more improvements.  They will be offering it soon, but no date given.  I am going to order one myself.  It will replace the ZERO Zone units I bought as a stopgap.  I can always use anouther 12 vdc supply.  Not sure what I will do with the 19v one for my Nucleus+.

• 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...
20 minutes ago, richard_crl032 said:

ER=🥳🥳  ER+AD=🥳🥳🥳 Not absolutely needing AD but obvious improvement albeit almost 100% more for my double crown. Save $ on cabling in powercord, lps, ethernet cable etc. with stock ones and have an oxco 🙏

I agree 100% with Richard here, and found the same thing.  Bought the same Queen unit.  I did use my HDPlex power supply for it.

• 4 months later...