IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

3 hours ago, Bernie said:

Thanks for the input, if the difference with a good LPS is as big as with the ER (or only half of it) I will definitly add one.

Hi Bernie 

Make sense to me also but I really doubt ever subjective "50% improvement" else uptone can offer and have new business case for "super ER" at usd1k instead .. at least the designer cum mfgr already declared upfront little if at all any positive impact above included smps.

Here 50% improvement, there 100% improvement ... and soon 1000% better system sounds illogical but this hobby is on whatever floats your rocks 😅

Cheers.

Richard

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

Btw, my new Audible Illusion L3B tube preamp arrived yesterday to replace the previous L3A blackgate and sound quality improvement even without recommended 40 hrs is much more than all the lps psu, dedicated 20A/30A AC lines, zonotone shupreme powercords or ethernet/usb cabling that I had installed or upgraded in the last 6 months.

This affected not only streaming music but music files in ssd of Antipodes, cd via cdp and fm radio from tuner.

Looking forward to find out how pending ER in Feb 2021 will further improve the sound quality of my setup for streaming music as again like new equipment of L3B or in this case, previous untried equipment and also technology.

Cheers.

Richard

Revel Salon 2 speakers, Sander Magtech amp, Audible Illusion L3B (Blackgate) preamp, Denafrips Terminator Plus dac, Denafrips Hermes ddc, Antipodes CX/EX/P1/P2 server/player (Oladra upgraded), Denafrips Avatar cdp, Bel Canto fm1 tuner, Airties Wireless Mesh, ifi Blue Zen BT receiver, 2X Uptone EtherRegen + AfterDark Emperor Double Crown 10M clock, Zerozone 5/7.5/12v LPS, Uptone LPS 1.2, 2x diy 2kVA Isotransformers, dedicated 20/30A lines for separate digital/analog, Nordost Quattro Fil interconnects, Acoustic Revive TripleC Ethernet/i2S cables, Shunyata Sigma usb cable with ifi Idefender 3.0, Aurealis/Apogee/Canare BNC clock cables, Cardas Clear speaker cable and jumpers, Zonotone Shupreme/5050 powercords, Garrard 301 on slate plinth/sme 3012R/Ortofon Classic Royal GM mk2/diy 301 motor PSU/graham IC90/kimber tak ag etc./Headamp Gilmore Lite Mk2+Golden Reference PSU/Grado FreeSystem fg-1 headphones

1 hour ago, xllms said:

@R1200CL @thyname thanks for sharing.

@Superdad thanks for sharing regarding your concern on the iTube. Greatly appreciate your input despite supposedly on “vacation”. 

This exploration is fun! 😁 Looks like my original plan of getting the Lumin U1 streamer cannot be shelved for too long!

Hi xllms,

You can sell me your ER while I wait for late Jan 2021 shipment or you can take the Nuprime Omnia S1 media server off me listed at Carousell Singapore .. haha !

Cheers.

Richard

4 hours ago, xllms said:

Richard,

thanks for suggestion, I actually don’t mind this idea of selling you the eR, except that I am not in SG due to the current pandemic which makes traveling quite inconvenient. :P

symon L

Hi Symon,

Sorry for the bad jokes especially since no interest in my Nuprime Omnia S1 at almost 30% off but more seriously, you will have no trouble selling your previously used ER .. was looking for one in Singapore without success for quite many months before ordering new.

Cheers and hope you get to be back to our little but encompassing red dot of Singapore soon :)

Richard

Hi, 

Best mod for me is serious music playback from built in 8TB SSD of Antipodes .. shortest path and no connectivity concerns.

Synology NAS for back sits quietly at the corner powered down and not collecting dust .. haha !

ER will be last effort on non critical streaming music from full flac internet radio stations for background music.

Cheers.

Richard

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Mikey26 said:

FYI, Just changed the feet of the Etherregen to 4 Herbie’s Audio Big Baby Booties for a very nice upgrade in sound; a more coherent presentation with less digital hash. Highly recommend.

Will not work in my use case .. lol !

Streaming internet radio stations sound fantastic with ER nevertheless after having it.

Cheers !

16113761743405968004484700553894.jpg

18 hours ago, MartinT said:

It's a TP-Link MR6400 4G router/modem in one.  Mobile data works better for me than the landline-based broadband (better sound quality).

Hi Martin, 

Same here .. my 20m supra cat 8 is in my storeroom as my antipodes cx+ex with it sounded worse than my wifi mesh.

Some advised because wifi is isolated but some says wifi must sound worse but I rely on my ears.

Cheers.

Richard

• 2 months later...
On 3/10/2021 at 3:55 AM, musicguy said:

Just  got my ether regen from uptone.  

Just a question and if anyone can  provide a link   to burn in.   Does it need  it?   Ive never owned a net work switch.

???

Not much different from day 1 ... it is a nice upgrade in my system.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Confused said:

Excellent.

If you could generate me a pair of Muons that would be greatly appreciated.  (Just two would be fine, it is all I need)

image.png.ac45668c509135f6859727bc1cc754c5.png

Only with McIntosh ? 😓

😂😂😂😂

27 minutes ago, Rsbrsvp said:

I already went through many of these threads and bought a highly recommended Finisar module.  I still really like my ER's without fiber and no OM, and I refuse to start testing all these modules.  Just to expensive and time consuming.

If to my ears fiber cannot beat copper with any Finisar module, than I am not going down this road.  Again, I know almost everyone out there prefers fiber over copper, but if my ears are not convinced of this in the next week, I will have to go with my ears. I would not have even given my OM so many chances if it were not for the overwhelming support of it by audiophiles.  But this almost universal support forces me to try..

All say wireless sucks but my mesh point sounded repeatedly better to my ears than hardwiring from router .. that is all that matters to me.

Any taker for my 25m supra cat 8 cable ? Discounted usd200 via paypal with free global shipping.

Cheers.

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

Higher voltage = lower current into ER for same power needed and lower heat ?

and voltage does not create heat ... current does ?

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Nikko1960 said:

LOL, if you are liking the ER, then you need to add the AfterDark clock (see their forum).  I did and it takes the sound to a whole other level.  I bought the Queen version with the matching LPSU, and my only regret was not ordering the Emperor version.  It's that good.

I also bought a used UltraCap v1.2 off EBay to power the ER, and that brings a less substantial but nevertheless noticeable improvement.

ER=🥳🥳  ER+AD=🥳🥳🥳 Not absolutely needing AD but obvious improvement albeit almost 200% more for my double crown. Save $ on cabling in powercord, lps, ethernet cable etc. with stock ones and have an oxco 🙏

13 hours ago, Gr8tful said:

Magnepan 1.7i: Audioquest rocket 11 w/ AQ psc jumpers

Gr8tful to be an audiophile, and in a place measuring doesn't equate to science. Sheesh. Cheers!

Hi Gr8tful,

Off topic but cannot help to notice that you are using the nice 1.7i which I had in addition to earlier 1.7 ... fond memories just 2-3 yrs ago.

You may wish to consider 100% reversible and worthwhile modification of the crossover made by Humble hifi for me ... 

Cheers.

Richard

Screenshot_20210911-233735_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20210911-233605_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20210911-234449_Drive.jpg

• 4 months later...

Hi Chung,

For me, I bought the AD double emperor for my 1st ER to be from mesh node to Antipode CX but had wanted better clocking of the Antipodes CX/EX stack while having the Oladra upgrade with blue leds.

Since Antipode cannot upgrade thr clocks of CX/EX, I bought a second ER to be between the Antipodes at the least. The AD clock is now moved there while a china oxco clock now runs the 1st oxco clock between the mesh node and CX.

The ref10 is about usd5k or 4x of both ERs and there is also super lps for the ERs and clocks at even more $ as well as associated thousands more for super power/dc cables that we can wish for and indeed all moving towards huge diminishing return for the convenience of digital playback ... for me.

Cheers.

PS: I run the ERs with their stock smps 

6 minutes ago, LewinskiH01 said:

Thanks for the input!

Which clock and PSU would you recommend? AD has a "Queen - Square Wave EtherRegen SE" for about $750. Would that be it? And have to add a PSU?

Just in case you had missed it, Adrian of AfterDark recommends best performance to price ratio will be the emperor double crown version.

Cheers.

6 hours ago, chungjh said:

Is the external clock for your system on the first ER or the second?

Hi Chung, 

Both ERs hv external clocks .. I keep the more well known AD emperor double crown oxco between the oladra upgraded Antipodes CX/EX stack while the china oxco is between wifi mesh node and Antipode CX working as a server.

I wanted the final stage of Antipode EX working as a player to have the "best timed" data from the Antipode CX.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

Huge in this no end pursue does not come at usd700 ? 😅

• 8 months later...

And advised by Superdad, all it takes is a multimeter to simply test for continuity which certainly clears all my doubt in my not so simple digital front end 🥳🥳

1761999991_UptoneERSchematic.thumb.jpg.1a43b337b5dd878edf762e2262aee480.jpg