IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

4 hours ago, Jud said:

More stuff to listen to with the ER:

Sean Rowe, The Drive, from the album Madman. 

Leonard Cohen, Old Ideas, especially Amen, where the bass is a physical thing.

Edit: And you might also try Juniper Arms, from Adam Torres’ Pearls to Swine album.

I am still awaiting my ER wivh is on its way, but i am very happy with your music tips that i already put on my qobuz (studio) playlists 👌

22 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

I think for your situation, that's a very appropriate layout -- it isolates your "endpoints" from the rest of the network.

is there anyway to daisy chain the speakers?  if so, then i would think it might be best to daisy chain the phantoms on the B side and put the dialog on the A side.

No, daisy chain is not possible and the devialet dialog will expire shortly after the DOS2 software update, wich in itself would give an improvement in SQ.

If i understood correctly is the ER 100% Backward usable, hence my choice to do it this way.

On 12/4/2019 at 12:30 PM, lpost said:

Have you removed the ER to make a comparison yet?  I have one on order but won't receive it until Feb so I'm living through you all vicariously in the meantime ;)

Yes, I did, for 10 min., but it's not really necessary. It is immediately and without a doubt the best upgrade ever for me. Follow the advice to make your setup as simple as possible. The first 10 minutes after new connection I had some doubts, after a few hours no more. Every day in use still gives an SQ improvement. I'm on my way for 185 hours. February is still long, sympathize with you, but definitely worth the wait It is a big evolution in the switch world.

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, flkin said:

Ok here it goes, something most here wouldn’t like to hear, but it’s my observation in my system. 

Over a listening period of 2 months and many different configurations of power supplies, external clocking and Ethernet cables, I’m going to conclude that the EtherRegen isn’t for me. 

Yes, the information retrieval is great and so is the imaging and bass control but I’m unable to reduce the harder and treble-centric sound to a level I’m happy with. My initial impression after a week of breaking in was very positive in line with what most here have found - many positive attributes especially improvements to the speed and control of the music but with lengthy listening sessions, I’m experiencing fatigue due to the harder treble.

After 2 months, I returned to direct from router to my Pink Faun 2.16x and immediately found relief - like an old comfortable sofa. Bliss and more connection with the music and singers. More emotion and more pulls on my heart strings. For me this matters most, not the analysis of the sound but the emotions imparted. 

I’ll keep my EtherRegen as it’s an intriguing device and hope to find a way to incorporate it in the future but in my current setup, it’s not staying in the system. 

For reference my signal path is:

Orbi satilite -> dCBL-CAT7 -> iso-Cat6-> dCBL-CAT7 -> PF2.16x

(the dcblcat7,isocat6,dcblcat7 is a SOtM cable)

Added the EtherRegen between the Orbi and the PF. 

Tried: A-B, B-A on the EtherRegen, different power supplies for the Orbi and EtherRegen, external OCXO clock and without, different Ethernet cables with different lengths before and after the EtherRegen, metal and plastic Ethernet heads, different cable conduit wrappings with mu-metals, different DC cables, external earthing the EtherRegen or not. 

Have you tried the ER without the SOTM dcbl cat7 and without the SOTM dcbl cat6 lan isolator?

I obtained the best result without these cables.

What I have kept is the 50 cm black, gray and dark gray cables of 50 cm from the SOTM dcbl cat6 SE version to tune with very good results.

I use the SOTM black and dark grey in combination with diy SUPRA cat8 and monoprice cat8 and have sold the SOTM dcbl cat 7 and the SOTM dcbl cat6 lan isolator. I have also sold the audioquest cinnamon, carbon and the Vodka

• 6 months later...
43 minutes ago, RDOK said:

Een goede LPS verbetert inderdaad echt de resultaten met de ER, dat is ook mijn ervaring.

Ik heb een Farad Super3, Paul Hynes SR4 en SR4T geprobeerd en vond ze in die volgorde leuk.

Momenteel gebruik ik de SR4 op de ER omdat de SR4T in gebruik is om een IsoRegen te voeden. Over het algemeen gaf dat het beste resultaat in mijn systeem en in mijn oren.

Bedankt voor uw bericht

zou u alstublieft het verschil tussen de Farad en de SR4T op de ErherRegen  kunnen/willen aangeven?

On 9/2/2020 at 2:49 AM, RDOK said:

The Farad is already very good when powering an ER.

But compared to the SR4(T) the Farad seemed a little more veiled or muddled, a little less open.

The SR4(T) was a somewhat more engaging and natural sounding.

The SR4T is a small but noticeable step better than the SR4 in this respect.

On the ER the input is optical (Planet MGB-TLS SFP) and output a Sablon pre-2020 ethernet cable, both on the A side. That sounds best to my ears.

Thanks for your reply,i can use this. This is in line with the review by @austinpop in his comparison between the Farad super 3 and the Paul Hynes SR4

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2020 at 10:47 AM, Bernie said:

Hi all,

I have moved from an Aqvox SE to the Etherregen which is a BIG step up in SQ. Another noticable update is using my REF10 as external clock reference. I'm also using a TP-Link optical transmission from my router to the Etherregen which is also sounding better than cable.

From the Etherregen B-Side I'm using an Aqvox Excel Ethernet cable (0.5m) to my Devialet amp.

Now I have replaced the original SMPS with an ifi iPower X 9V which is another small upgrade in SQ.

Now I have 3 places for a possible update: replace the TP-Link optical module with a Sonore optical module, replace the ifi iPower X with a Farad 3 or upgrade the Aqvox Ethernet cable with something else.

Has someone any experience what makes most sense here ? Maybe some of you have also tried and compared the ifi with the Farad.

thanks,

Bernd

I just can't imagine ifi ipower sounds better than uptone SMPS

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, PYP said:

Regarding the "need" for two eRs, I should point out that unlike your sophisticated setup, the main network device in my setup is an ISP-provided modem/router/wifi box that is powered by a balanced power unit (which also powers TV, DVR and DVD, all located in a different room from audio).  Therefore, there is no optimization prior to the opticalModule.  I chose to keep the ISP-provided equipment and to only work on the downstream part.  I've read reactions from folks who added a second eR that describe the difference as "subtle" and others say it has a "greater effect than the first eR."  So, very system-dependent, as is always the case.  

Since all these setups are different, it seems we cannot generalize other than to say that the (first) eR benefits a very wide array of systems, from simple to complex.  Given the comments about adding an external clock, it seems safe to generalize that an external clock builds upon the eR's performance, as does adding an LPS.  

At any rate, glad you are enjoying your fine system.  You have clearly put a lot of time and thought into the configuration.    

+1 

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Rsbrsvp said:

I received my second ER a few days ago.  Definite improvement.

What is interesting is that currently I prefer the OM out of the picture with two ER's in.

I find overall that I do not like the OM effect on tone even with one ER.   Things are brighter than without the OM.

I wonder if those SFP modules effect the tone and if there are SFP modules which are mellower?

Any advice would be appreciated...

• 7 months later...
6 hours ago, rtsusc83 said:

Alex, many thanks!  I received mine today. Hooked up and running! Easy Peasy!  All I can say is WOW!  Even at low volume, I can hear more detail!  I can tell the difference with the music I am very familiar with.  Most definitely one of my best purchase in my pursuit of enhancing my music streaming!

Bob

yeah great, after a few weeks of use it will sound even better 😄

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same experiences with audioquest niagara and the associated power cables.
In my opinion, everything is important and clearly observable in the chain:

- A good grounding system and the prevention of ground loops.

- Using an LPS anywhere with proper fuses and cables.

- Modem/router also equipped with LPS and good cables and also a correct grounding system, which also prevents ground loops.

- The use of the correct filters and/or amplifiers and grounding on the CAI system which is linked to the modem/router.

- Using a good OCXO clock on the ER, also with LPS and good cables

• 7 months later...