IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

• 4 weeks later...

Thx for your recommendation, Nick. I didn’t know Elias, but I found the recording on Tidal and Qobuz right away. These are resp. MQA ans CD recordings in Tidal en Qobuz. I don’t have access to recordings in genuine DSD format.

That triggered another question. It’s interesting to compare DSD files I do have access to to Tidal, or Quobuz before and after ER. I have one DSD recording I know quite well: Charles Mingus “Ah um”. Before ER I know the difference between DSD and Qobuz was very clear. DSD was far better, i.e. had much more intensity, as if there was more information in the file. I now have to switch several times between the formats and I still can’t tell if there is any audible difference. There seems to be, ...but difficult to grasp. The Tidal MQA is different, probably because my Naim NDX2 won’t decode it fully and plays it ‘only’ CD-format. The decrease in quality of CD as compared to DSD and 96khz/24bit is beyond doubt.

Getting a last beer as the night falls in the Netherlands, cheers!

After one if my first post I have retried the sBooster LPS one or two times with the same disappointing results I reported before.

But there may be more to say about ER and power. In the end of year sales, I had the opportunity to buy a power regenerator (Isotek Evo 3 Genenis One) which I decided to use for feeding the digital side of my system (ER, Nucleus and modem). The Isotek reports bringing the THD down from around 5.8 to around 2% (depends, it fluctuates). My mains pollution is really high.

With the the original SMPS connected to the Isotek (via an Isotek EVO3 Polaris) the sound got (even) more detailed, cleaner, the soundstage opened up even more and the music came (even) more loose from the speakers. Connecting the LPS sBooster (gave it another try) had the negative effect I noticed before (dullness).

In my system the original PS is a winner so far. But to me it’ s also clear that clean power is an important factor and can improve ER. I would therefore guess that a good LPS could improve the ER, but in the same time I’ve gotten a bit reluctant of even thinking about it, because of my disappointing experience with sBooster (not the last model, no ultra). Looking forward to reports of people who may have tried LPS 1.2, Teddy Pardo, CHC, Paul Hynes, Keces, Farad, or any other LPS with ER, compared to the original SMPS.

• 3 weeks later...