IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

From Superdad:    

"I do not agree. The EtherREGEN is designed to isolate (typically on its 'B' side) the DAC-attached computer/streamer/renderer endpoint. Its benefits will be realized even if that DAC-attached endpoint is general purpose computer, Mac mini, laptop, NUC, whatever."

Thank you, @Superdad, for clarifying that point.   There is so much information bouncing around here that it can be difficult to know which end is up, down, or sideways.    

I am using a Server (Taiko Audio)  which has significantly addressed RFI. but I am planning to insert a Mac Mini in between the Taiko Server and the DAC.  (The Mini is necessary to run some Bacch software).   I'm hoping the Mini will not add too much of a noise signature.

My plan is: 

Copper ethernet > Cisco 2960 > Copper ethernet >  ERegen "B"side > ERegen Optical "A" side > Optical Taiko Server > usb  Mini >  usb DAC

There's a lot of talk about cooking the eR.   I sounds like most are experiencing changes with time.  Alex and John, is this what you expect with this tech in a switch?

And in cooking referring to simply powered up or actually running data through the eR into the dac?

8 hours ago, matthias said:

Can you try to bypass the Cisco with the ER that means to connect the Cisco to a A-port of the ER but have no series connection of both switches regarding your signal coming from Qobuz?

Thanks

Matt

OK, I'll try that:  modem > copper > eR A side >   eR B side >  copper > server.   With the Cisco and all it's attachments coming of one of the A ports of the eR.   Good idea.

So this will work for a copper set up.  But not,  if I wanted to try

copper > eR B side > eR A side > optical > server.   Because, as  I understand proper set up if A side is used as output, nothing else should share that side.

3 hours ago, kennyb123 said:

This is very well said.  I did not have to do an A/B comparison as the improvement was immediately obvious.  And then it got better, as measured by my increase in musical enjoyment.

The two reports where no differences were found both mentioned reaching that conclusion via A/B tests.  I wonder if they'd reach a different conclusion if they just left the ER in their system for a week - spend a good time listening - and then just remove it.  

The EtherRegen continued to confirm its benefits the more music I fed it.  In a previous post, I wrote:  "Harshness is a weird thing in that we pick up on it, but we really don’t get a full appreciation of how much it had been imposing upon us until we hear it stripped away.  I’ve been repeatedly surprised by the absence of a hardness that I had become accustomed to hearing."  I don't see how A/B testing can provide this same kind of insight.  

I can appreciate your point of view.  In fact, in addition to  disciplined A/B listening I also give extended listening time, which is what I'm doing with the eR now.   

However, it's really easy to make a mistake (I can speak from personal experience).  Without using A/B listening,  I can easily imagine a scenario where I'm excited about the eR (after waiting a year) plugging it in and fooling myself (unconsciously)  that it make the music "better" when, in fact,  I know that right now  that it does not.

I can tell you I'm 100% positive our A/B listening told us the truth-- in my system and in that particular configuration-- that there was  very little, if any, sonic difference between the two.

That's not a slam against the eR.  And I may find after playing with different configurations that it does complement my system.   I did, for instance, find a very noticeable difference (though not a totally good one) running the eR before optical-- but I don't know what that really means yet.  I might be just the optical and have nothing to do with with the switch.

On 11/19/2019 at 1:25 AM, matthias said:

Can you try to bypass the Cisco with the ER that means to connect the Cisco to a A-port of the ER but have no series connection of both switches regarding your signal coming from Qobuz?

Thanks

Matt

@matthias I'm trying some configuration variations.   The first being with and without the Gigafoil filter before the eR.   However, when I disconnect ethernet on any track, the buffer keeps playing until the end of the track.  (this is different from previous tests, where the buffer played usually just a few seconds).   So, this begs the question, for this particular test, am I only hearing a cached version of the track?   

My most recent listening was done comparing my set up with no eR and with the eR (copper in to B side and optical out from A side).  

It's definitely not a strong difference, but I consistently hear a bit more clarity with the eR and optical.   Subtle, but good.