IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, LewinskiH01 said:

My understanding (through my questions to users) is one needs to establish a "Ravenna network" and Ravenna as a protocol is very demanding of the network and the B-side can't cope with that. This why ferenc is connecting both the streaming PC and Hapi on the A-side. So can't cross the moat. Would be very interested in discussing with Hapi users who are crossing the moat.

Interesting answer. I was just feeling sorry of myself for how things turned out. You delivered as promised and there's no grief on my end. I know why I decided the way I did, and faced with the same scenario I had at the time of deciding I would choose the same. I hope you don't really think it was to save $34...

Ravenna appears to be a similar AOIP protocol to Dante and I use Dante across the moat on ER very successfully. The biggest issue I have is that after every windows update, windows somehow turns on network throttling which i then need to turn off to allow Dante to operate glitch free. The only way i know that network throttling is in use is that 192kHz signals played back on Roon sometimes stutters if I do ANYTHING on my PC that requires a network packet. I then run a special utility in Dante have Dante tell me the problem and then have it turn network throttling off, reboot my PC and all is well again until the next windows update.

Maybe something similar is happening with your Ravenna network protocols? Unfortunately I don't know how to permanently turn off network throttling but the Dante software identifies it and does it for me.

Regards

GG

23 hours ago, LewinskiH01 said:

Thanks for chiming in. I don't yet have the Ravenna card, but I'm considering the Merging Hapi for multichannel and been looking for eR+Hapi users, and I have only found one who, despite doing on 2 channel, said the 100Mbps port didn't work. From your comment I'm guessing that even a Dante card doing 8 channels at 192kHz would have trouble. let alone if doing DSD, which is something I consider down the road with Hapi.

cheers!

You're welcome.

Well 192kHz 24 bit audio uses approx 10-11Mbit/sec per mono channel so 8 mono channels would be theoretically using 80-88Mbit/sec. Whether that capacity usage would cause problems I cannot answer. Perhaps somebody with more technical knowledge might chime in also.

Regards

GG

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/23/2020 at 3:28 AM, feelingears said:

Thank you, @adamaley. No, what is unexpected (or perhaps entirely expected) is that putting ER before Orbi mesh wi-fi yields so much sonic goodness in my system. As I wrote, I had not intended to use it this way and I had hoped to have a device after the wi-fi as you suggested to enable me to use both Ethernet and the ER just before the <Lumin/Auralic/whatever> sending AES to the DAC. I expect this will take things to another level entirely, but things are really pretty dang awesome already. I'd rather spend $$$ on better speakers now than more digital! (And digital is complicated for me because the software is part of the mess.)

This has been a supremely satisfying journey of stepping up my system via various changes that have yielded substantial improvements. I use the same test tracks and have both vinyl and digital. The vinyl "doesn't change" (much) so it's a long-standing reference point, and I've heard other effortlessly outstanding systems as well. For my config and home and ears, the ER truly lets digital sing (even if it's ahead of wi-fi by necessity).

Just be aware that running a wi-fi transceiver on a feed of 100mbit/sec may impact your LAN. If you are sure that you have CD quality music 2.8mbit/sec and no more than, say 2 devices connecting to your wifi your throughput should be good. But any more than that and you run the risk of flooding your 100mbit/sec EtherRegen connection.

• 10 months later...
6 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I think the SMS200 or a Renu isn’t needed. Your Bryston 3.14 has Ethernet in. The Mac can be anywhere in your network.

Why would you use USB ?

If any Rendu should be considered, it should be opticalRendu. 

A usb regen after a Rendu is normally used with the Microrendu. (It’s equal the ultraRendu). 

Sell the SMS 200 and buy a clock from AfterDark. (Or a second EtherRegen 😀)

Perhaps he is not just connecting using Ethernet because needs it to make music and it appears the Bryston's ethernet port is only for control of the device. So any of the Audio inputs could be used and he seems to have chosen USB.

Regards

GG

5 hours ago, musicguy said:

Just  got my ether regen from uptone.  

Just a question and if anyone can  provide a link   to burn in.   Does it need  it?   Ive never owned a net work switch.

???

Short answer is yes it benefits from being on for a while and transmitting data through it. When I first turned mine on, I thought I'd made the wrong decision as the sound was so flat and stifled. However several hours later it sounded good and a few days later (not continuously turned on) it was magnificent. So if you enjoy a good journey, listen to it and enjoy it opening up. If you are a destination type guy, burn it in for a day or two and then start listening.

Regards

GG

• 6 months later...
8 hours ago, TimF said:

Quick q. I have the TP-LINK Archer VR2800. Any optimisation in settings required to improve sound quality to the etherregen? 

Thanks Tim 

This sounds like a loaded question. So I'll say there shouldn't be any special set up required. EtherRegen does its thing on hard-wired ethernet signals; and very well at that in my opinion.

Regards

GG

• 1 year later...