IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

This is only the third song that is playing with the ER in the chain and already feel compelled to express my joy.

To be honest I had been wondering if the ER would bring anything to my system, because I consider it already highly isolated. Luckily there was nothing to be worried about. While I'm burning in the ER and while it's connected still in front of my AQVOX, I already hear a very obvious improvement. I will replace the AQVOX with the ER in a few days after I have done some other tests with transducers.

The anticipation had been high and this is a VERY nice birthday present. The unit was sent by Uptone on my birthday 🙂

Further listening impressions will follow. Back to the listening couch now...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, PYP said:

Yes, in my system, there was a significant improvement with the second eR.  My network is rather simple:  ISP-provided router/wifi/modem box > in-wall 5e ethernet > ... therefore I haven't worked on improving the upstream at all.   All my improvement have been after the in-wall exits near my system.  

Mine is a bit more complex. I have fiber optic core switch in between and a bunch of other stuff to maximize electrical shielding. An other important part of my network setup is that all WiFi antennas and computing power (servers) are far away from the audio equipment. All switches, routers, modem are on LPS’s. 

13 minutes ago, PYP said:

Maybe other folks can help.   I've never had a sibilance issue (except when gear or cables were breaking in), rather the issue I had was HF just not sounding completely natural.   It was subtle, but my ear is sensitive to that.  

I have no familiarity with the Lumin line, so don't know the sound signature or if other users have found sibilance issues.  I tend to look at the DAC/Streamer as the origin of those kind of issues.   Assuming that it isn't the recording itself.  

As we all know, cables can tip the balance of any system.  Perhaps you have already experimented with different kinds.

I've found, contrary to what many suggest, that powering all equipment from the same power conditioner works well.   A dedicated outlet to the power conditioner is optimal.   Previously, I used two dedicated outlets, one for amps and one for everything else.  Surprisingly, to me at any rate, that didn't work as well as one outlet.   

Hope you can track down the problem.   

One of the ways for me to eliminate digital harshness was to replace all SMPS with LPS. I mean all, even for the coax amplifier from the tv/internet provider. Even all switches are on LPS. QNAP server running Roon server is far away and connected using fiber to eliminate any electrical noise coming from computers. I’ve gone to some really extreme measures to get the maximum out of my system. You have a very nice system but as I found out there is still room for improvement.