IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

On 6/7/2020 at 9:00 PM, dcas71 said:

I've ordered for the July batch. Really looking forward to see whether I hear audible improvement against a standard HP switch in my system:

Lumin U1 mini, RME ADI-2 DAC

both powered by HDPlex 200w PS

Feeding Mackie HR 624mk2 and Rythmik F12 sub

I use the EQ on the ADI 2 to fix some measured room modes and add a curve for my preference for a bit of warmth. Really liking the sound of this downsized system already so I'm hoping this will be some icing on the cake..

I'm also in line for July delivery of the ER.  I'll be connecting an opticalRendu and my OPPO 205 to the B side, and then experiment with a LPS if so desired.  Really looking forward to it. 

Very cool Alex.  So glad to see you're busy, esp. in these crazy times we live in.  Nice deck as well.  Looks like you live in a pretty place.  Wanna say I have the utmost respect for John Swenson and his design and creativity ability.  I remember him from the squeezebox forum years ago.  Always loved to read his posts.  I had a Touch and John was mentioning he was designing a network player that would be better than the Touch, if I remember correctly.  I suspect that player turned out to be the microRendu, or so I am surmising.  And that's what I have now, but will be getting the opticalRendu to go with the ER.  Upgradeitis :)  What a great time to be a music and audio freak.

13 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

I spent a LOT of time and money on that project. I have several prototypes that actually work. It turned out the hardest part was laying out the back panel, there were 16 jacks on the fairly small back panel!!

There were two XLR and two RCA, each pin fed by its own DAC channel, so it was actually a 6 channel DAC. Yep, you could have done a 5.1 system with it. This took some custom drivers to make it work.

I even had a connector on the front of the board so you could take off the front panel and screw in a 7" LCD touch screen. I never built that but I did have the connector for it.

We had someone ready to build and sell it for a reasonable price, but then the whole project was derailed by legal issues that I cannot discuss. I was so bummed by the whole thing I just dropped out of the forums.Every now and then I pick up the test boards and look at them and hold them in my hands and wonder how it would have gone otherwise. I probably would have spent the rest of my life supporting it!

The microRendu was a completely separate design. 

John S.

Wow, thanks for that explanation.  Well, at least we can all still benefit from your creative prowess.👍🙏