IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

Perhaps this is OT and I should start an ER Watching Impressions thread 😉 but what's the consensus on whether the ER is improving video streaming picture quality?

I tried it myself, halfheartedly, and swapped the LAN cable that goes into my Apple TV box into the B side of the ER. I thought I saw an improvement but the girlfriend and I were watching Amazon Prime and I didn't want to try her patience with lots of A-B-ing and whaddya-think-ing.

Might try to A B it this weekend.

Read a few positive comments but what's the consensus?

Cheers,

Alan

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

As my dear old Granma used to say: Don't waste your time arguing with idiots son. They'll just bring you down to their level.

Wise words from a wise woman.

Listening impressions. Nice. Good. Better.

Put it this way. At the risk of having my audiophile credentials revoked! The new firmware came out a week ago. I haven't gotten around to trying it. Why? Partly busy. Partly no pressing need as my system is sounding great, so any further bump in SQ is just gravy at this stage 😁

Synergistic Research Powercell UEF SE > Sonore OpticalModule (LPS-1.2 & DXP-1A5DSC) > EtherRegen (SR4T & DXP-1A5DSC) > (Sablon 2020 LAN) Innuos PhoenixNet > Muon Streaming System > Grimm Audio MU1 server > (Sablon AES) Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC > PS Audio M1200 monoblocks > Salk Sound Supercharged Songtowers

16 hours ago, McNulty said:

I think there are a few interesting things here. Firstly, if we park the considerable price difference between ER and a fully tricked out SoTM then some will read this and opt for the SoTM. That's not intended in any way to disparage the considerable achievement that is the ER. Just acknowledging the trend in this hobby to chase absolute perfection.

Tho if you dive down that rabbit hole then you need 2 x SoTM switches and the price differential becomes 6 times rather than 3 😂Yeah, I'm sticking with my ER!

Second interesting aspect is that the ER and SoTM don't reportedly blend well and compliment each other.

Third for me is the finding that the ER does indeed benefit from a better PSU. (Fairly amazed there hasn't been more on this here tbh!). Intriguingly @CKKeung has clarified that he was advocating the LPS-1.2 as further improving the ER.

I'll add testing this to my backlog of tests and tasks. New firmware etc. But am hoping for some reports here on this.

Final comment relates to the Dutch switch shootout, rather than our Hong Kong friends, where the SoTM was highly rated but not by big margins. Struggling to get my head around this as the ER has a very significant impact in my system, others say the same for the SoTM. But the difference isn't huge compared to other switches. Huh? Confusing data point but well done to them for taking the time to do this. Ditto to CKKeung for his efforts.

Be interesting to see other head to head comparisons.

Cheers,

Alan

Yup. Fair points.

To be clear I'm not trying to prove or challenge anything. But personally I have an unused LPS-1.2 sitting on my rack. Unused because it was powering my Aqvox switch which has been so comprehensively replaced by the ER. So it's a no brainer for me to try that experiment. Am guessing others will be in a similar situation so hoping for their observations.

Bigger picture the ER is in its infancy as a brand new product so any shared knowledge and experience that helps find optimal performance are welcome.

That said I'm in no rush to even install the firmware as its sounding so damn good already 😀

7 minutes ago, McNulty said:

Hi @BigAlMc, a possible explanation for the difference in SQ gap between the Hong Kong and Netherlands test could be that first test used the full options version of the SoTM (list price $ 1,900) including external clocking and the second test used the basic version (list price $ 800) with the standard power supply (not the SPS-500). Also the Dutch test was a blind test and the HK seems to be sighted.

Ah, I missed that the Dutch one was basic Sotm switch and PSU. My experience with SoTM kit is it really needs a decent PSU. Also read the difference between basic and tricked out SoTM switch is night and day.

Explains a lot.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, bailyhill said:

So far those who have tried other power supplies have not got an up tic in SQ.  Perhaps the money is better spent on a very high quality Power Cable with the supplied SMPS?

Sorry but I disagree with this statement. I've read quite a few people posting positive experiences with better PSUs on the ER.

Also whilst I'm generally a fan of better power cords isn't there also the risk that you inadvertently remove the ground shunt that Alex & John incorporated into the stock SMPS?

My head starts spinning quickly with this stuff but presumably you need a better power cord, with active ground pin, plugged into the wall to keep the ground shunt active or you need to consider grounding the ER in order to really gain the benefit of that better power cord.

Ditto for plugging the ER into a power transformer rather than the wall.

Cheers,

Alan