IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

On 11/14/2019 at 8:27 AM, thotdoc said:

If you are on the fence about replacing the optical module, my experience so far is that it is worth it, no question.

Ugh, not what I wanted to hear... ;)

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

I don't have an etherregen, but I do a number of other Sonore and Uptone devices, and they can get quite hot, disturbingly so esp during a heat wave, so I've added AC Infinity USB fans per the recommendation of another AS member. Running just on the low setting they do the trick, well built, little to no vibration or noise, and everything runs cool. You can see one in the back of this pic. Inexpensive as well. 

IMG_20200904_131114.jpg

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

You may struggle a lot with the LPS-1.2 powering the opticalRendu. If you try, do not connect USB at startup. Probably 9V works better than 7V. Order a Paul Hynes SR4T is a good solution. (Set at 7V). 

Or the Sonore Power Supply is very good and much easier to get if you're in the US. I run mine with an SR black fuse, Shunyata Venom NR cable on a dedicated circuit with an iFi AC iPurifier and it makes the oR sound incredible. 

• 8 months later...
6 hours ago, OldBigEars said:

..initially I was impressed by its detail, but hated it after a week or two. 

Sorry to keep this veering o.t. but I expect for many (and that has included myself) it's easy to mistake that initial difference in sound for better, even if it isn't. It's human to do, and we're only human. 

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, George Hincapie said:

Has anyone tried both the EtherRegen and OpticalRendu? My current Roon hardware has been in place for several years and I am considering a refresh. I'm broadly feeling that one of these solutions will be the way to go, but quite honestly I am lost as to which to choose...

Owner feedback would be appreciated.

Do note that both products are currently discontinued and out of stock, and almost rare as hen's teeth on the used market. Personally, I swear by the oR (I have the Roon only version), but have no experience with the eR.