IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

• 4 weeks later...

Dear 1½ - I don’t know about your setup because I haven’t been keeping up. But I found that oversampling in HQ Player had a dramatic effect on my system, taming the digital artefacts that manifested themselves as pre/post ringing and treble harshness. I have a DAC that accepts DSD128 so that it what I am upsampling to. Hope this helps, Nikko

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, watts said:

Are the current EtherRegens's the same, or have you had to revise some of the parts based on this issue? 

They are all the same.  The nice thing about them is that you can add an external clock at a later date and get another huge uplift to SQ.  I bought an Afterdark OCXO clock and matching LPU from Adrian (see his paid forum on this site).  I got the Emperor Crown SE version and am really, really happy with it and the ER combo.

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, LewinskiH01 said:

Trying an Afterdark clock might be down the road, but have other audio priorities before going there. Fiber in between eR is interesting for potentially blocking leakage current from SMPS upstream, per John's earlier comments. Another LPS for eR1 (or ISO Regen back in the chain?) would come before the better clock.

In my experience, adding a mid-range AD clock (with AD LPSU and top-of-the-range AD clock cable) made as much improvement as adding the ER in the first place.  It is not trivial nor subtle.

6 hours ago, LewinskiH01 said:

Thanks for the input!

Which clock and PSU would you recommend? AD has a "Queen - Square Wave EtherRegen SE" for about $750. Would that be it? And have to add a PSU?

I actually started out with the Queen (I was a bit of a sceptic and didn't want to splurge on an expensive one).  After six months, I contacted Adrian and he was kind enough to offer me 100% trade-in value against the Emperor Crown SE which is what I have now.  Another major upgrade.  I may end up selling it onto a pal and going for the top of the range.

Yes, you need to power it with an LPSU.  I have the basic AD unit and it's fine.

I told my pal that, IMHO, the ER is simply a vehicle to introduce a really good clock into the digital stream.  I couldn't be happier.

• 9 months later...