IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, jcn3 said:

i'm sure it sounds great the way you have it, but I think it's worth trying it as suggested.  Can't hurt, right?

Agreed, can't hurt to try but in my situation I don't have a renderer that accepts Ethernet input. As I said, software is part of the mess and I know how good the Uptone LPS-1.2 sounds driving the W4S Remedy fed by Mapleshade optical. Very idiosyncratic chain, I know, but it sounds glorious with local network files. Spotify, meh, good enough for parties if I'm not really listening. Need to try Qobuz as other ears I trust say it's better.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

23 minutes ago, Jud said:

It wouldn't work to have it running Ethernet into the Airport Express? (I don't know if that would make any difference, of course.)

So it would be Orbi Satellite receiving wi-fi then Ethernet to AExpress (not Extreme) and then optical out.... Huh, I don't know if that will work. I wonder if you have to turn off the AEx's wi-fi in the setup. So if this does work, I'd put the ER in before AEx as you say.

Thanks for posting @Jud–I'll look into it later this week perhaps. Hmmm...

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

5 hours ago, GryphonGuy said:

Just be aware that running a wi-fi transceiver on a feed of 100mbit/sec may impact your LAN. If you are sure that you have CD quality music 2.8mbit/sec and no more than, say 2 devices connecting to your wifi your throughput should be good. But any more than that and you run the risk of flooding your 100mbit/sec EtherRegen connection.

Thank you–I typically only have phones connected to wi-fi although lately Google Chromecast has been in use. I wish I knew more about networking as I tried Jud's suggestion by setting up my AEx in bridged mode. Things connected but no sound came forth. But whatever, a couple unexpected non-sonic benefits came from the experiments.

• 2 weeks later...

@Jud OTOH, with the EtherREGEN and a Transparent Audio Ethernet cable out the B-side, the sound is so fantastic I can listen with eyes open and feel the emotion as if my eyes were closed or I were in a darkened room!

But I still do prefer a darker environment as I believe our brains are too wired for sight. There's some research about plasticity and how even a little bit of light reaching the eyes will cause our brains to bias for sight rather than amp up other senses like hearing. Seems reasonable. Anyway, what an glorious time to have such affordable hi-res gear!