IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

28 minutes ago, Martin Herløv Andersen said:

just ordered the EtherREGEN and want to get the best performance from it.

I have 15m from my router to the EtherREGEN, would it sound better with fiber optic? using a router like the Ubiquiti ER-X-SFP

I think you need to tell us how you plan to use it 

If you have a fiber (only) endpoint, you don’t have a choice 😀

55 minutes ago, Martin Herløv Andersen said:

But I would buy one if it can get me better sound

No it won’t 😀
But It is my understanding that an optical module do based on this article.

Or a second eR ....

And you may buy a good cable between your streamer and the eR. Like those from Gent Audio or Blue Jeans. And probably good power supplies. 

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, Clockmeister said:

What an interesting thread with quite a few UK participants I see, so any real conclusions here with regard to whether the Ether generator appreciates a good clock source over the delightful 575 Crystek O.E. fit?

Did you read this:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, JamesBardsley said:

I have router - ER - Naim 272/555DR, 150x, SL2s.

Wondering whether I should try:

1. Add back a Cisco 2960 between router and ER connected by Blue Jeans Cat6a ?

2. Add Cisco connected by optical to the ER?

3. add a Sonore optical Module Connected via fibre to the ER?

Why not all 😀

No 3 as a start. But maybe look at how you power the ER as well. 

• 1 month later...
58 minutes ago, hifiveharry said:

I just bought the System Optique bundle, so now I'm wanting to transfer my music from my Windows 7 audio computer to my SGC i9. I also have an EtherRegen and am wondering can I transfer my music files out of the old computer by ethernet, THRU the EtherRegen, then to the SGC i9 via ethernet?  Has anyone tried this yet?  I don't know much about computers, so thanks in advance.

Yes, you can with or without etherRegen. But if using etherRegen use the A side, as this is the gigabyte side. (You must have a switch preset. No direct Ethernet cable between W7and i9). 
You need to attach the the SSD in W7. Probably as a network share. Then just use file manager the normal way. 
I assume you have purchased the i9 with extra storage space. 

You can also let the SonicTransporter just browsed your W7 if you don’t have the available disk space in the i9. 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4026635/windows-map-a-network-drive

Her is the guide:

http://www.sonicorbiter.com/docs/file_transfer

Also I suggest you use copy, and not move function in Windows  😀

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
20 minutes ago, Superdad said:

And just 'one more thing': We are now permitted to announce that in the January issue EtherREGEN is winning an award for "Technology Breakthrough."

That’s so great Alex. (Make digital great agin 😀). 

Now I really looking forward to those 3 to 5 new possible products in pipeline inheriting  this technology used in etherRegen. 

Any expected month you think we will know about latest new product ?

BTW. I guess I can post links:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/how-to-optimize-digital-streaming-with-optical-fiber/ (last page). 
But this is obviously not the review mentioned above. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, sot13 said:

I suppose I could get rid of the second FMC and feed straight into ER. I don't think it would be wise to get rid of them altogether and go straight into ER via ethernet from my switch, since may people reported additive benefits of fiber + ER.

You only have 100Mb. EtherRegen requires 1Gb on fiber. 

2 hours ago, sot13 said:

What I could do as suggested is replace my existing TP links with one TP-Link 220L and send its output via fiber to ER and that via a very small ethernet cable to my Network player - right?

This is your only option if you like to supply fiber to the EtherRegen in a reasonable way.

The suggested Cisco may be better. 

From EtherRegen you can use this cable. If you like to external power the EtherRegen, DC power cable from same place. 
Use single mode fiber if you can. 

19 minutes ago, Bernie said:

any recommendation for the SFP modules ? I'm currently using TP-Link TL-SM311LS, but I plan to switch to Planet Tech modules.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Finisar-FTLF1421P1BCL-OC-48-STM16-GigaBit-Ethernet-1x-2x-FC-IR-1310nm-SFP/114327996056?hash=item1a9e7ac698:g:PMQAAOSwNNxfIUh7

I bought those. And this cable. He has several lengths available. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20m-66ft-LC-UPC-to-LC-UPC-Duplex-Single-Mode-PVC-3-0mm-Fiber-Patch-Cord-Cable/392275302479?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, MartinT said:

For reasons that I don't fully understand, it sounds better than FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) or FTTP (Fibre to the Premises).

This sounds odd. Same router, and option to chose between WLAN and 4G.

How do you manage to control what shall be 4G and what shall be fiber/cable in your consumers ?

If we’re talking about a dedicated subnet with music only, you may have found something interesting that causes this better SQ. (But you don’t need two ISP to obtain that). 

Edit

Maybe discuss further in that other tread if this start to expand. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, tubegem said:

A little Guidance please. Hope this is the right thread.

I’m struggling to understand you. 
It seems you have 3 or 4 products doing the same thing. Your problem with the Sony HAP-Z1es must be related to settings. 

Can you explain how you like this to work ? Make a drawing. 

52 minutes ago, jandersonhill said:

Mac mini -> EtherRegen -> sms-200 -> Bryston DAC

I think the SMS200 or a Renu isn’t needed. Your Bryston 3.14 has Ethernet in. The Mac can be anywhere in your network.

Why would you use USB ?

If any Rendu should be considered, it should be opticalRendu. 

A usb regen after a Rendu is normally used with the Microrendu. (It’s equal the ultraRendu). 

Sell the SMS 200 and buy a clock from AfterDark. (Or a second EtherRegen 😀)

1 hour ago, jamesg11 said:

Consider 1. the upsides of the new mac M1 & 2. the usefulness of an NAA to mac upsampling ie optical rendu or say hqp naa.

Your Bryston 3.14 is limited to DSD support up to DSD-256. But, if NAA, yes, you need one of the Rendu’s. You may keep your present Mac, and consider a Sonictransporter with embedded HQplayer. 
Your present Mac may do 256 ?

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, PYP said:

Extra credit:  you diagram it so we can look at an alternative with the JS-2 powering the eR#1 and figure out if that would defeat both moats or if it is something to consider.    :)

Will do. How much do you think oM upfront matter ?

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, RickyV said:

My bet is still that it is a usb to optical to usb device. But hopefully with 24 MHz external clock input and SFP modules.

As suggested in this tread some time ago, we definitely need to move everything to digital signaling into fiber optics. It seems to be doable. Almost “easy” to do. Just read that tread. 

Digital external clock transfer would be a nice development. Would also end the discussion 50 vs 75 ohm. Not sure why 24 MHz ? Most of us using 10MHz clocks. 10MHz can be converted through a programmable fractional PLL to other frequencies, which I think is already done in some products with great success. 

I’m convinced the future is optical 😀

And we should use single mode ! And SPF/SFP+.

3 hours ago, jandersonhill said:

Right now, with relatively few people posting about this topic, it feels a bit of lottery buying modules and hoping for the best... but it is a topic I want to look into further.

This should be discussed in other threads. If you use the search function, you should find good posts about SFP+ modules, brand, what laser may be preferred and why, and single mode vs multi mode. 

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57686-the-etherregen-thread-for-various-network-cable-power-experiences-and-experiments/page/94/?tab=comments#comment-1137230

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/24002-optical-network-configurations/?tab=comments#comment-427434

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/62352-finisar-sfp-modules-for-audio-grade-network-switch-group-buy-for-audiophilestylecom/page/4/?tab=comments#comment-1132280