IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

3 hours ago, cat6man said:

I'm in the January build but have 3 configurations under consideration at this time.

My current configuration is:

1.  hqplayer under audiolinux running on NUC

2.  NAA mode in opticalRendu (oR) to DAC

3.  NUC-->router/rj45-->opticalModule(oM)==>15m fiber==>opticalRendu(oR)

4.  all units running on LPS-1.2 (oM) or SR-4 (oR)

I'll re-configure when I get the etherRegen in January but it is not obvious to me if the oM becomes superfluous or not.

When I get the etherRegen(eR), I see three options:

==> (optical ethernet connection)

-->  (copper ethernet connection)

A.  NUC-->router/rj45-->etherRegen(oR)==>15m fiber==>opticalRendu(oR)

B.  NUC-->router/opticalSFP==>short fiber==>opticalModule(oM)-->etherRegen(eR)==>15m fiber==>opticalRendu(oR)

C.  NUC-->router/rj45-->15m copper ethernet-->etherRegen(eR)==>short fiber==>opticalRendu(oR)

Note that with the 3 new cases, the etherRegen is running Bin/Aout while the oM is also running Bin/Aout also (which is the reverse of the Ain/Bout configuration with my current etherRegen-less setup).

Has anyone tried any 2 or 3 of these options and have any listening impressions to share?

"B" won't work, the B side port of the EtherREGEN is only 100Mbs, and the RJ45 port of the oM is only gigbit.

John S.

I don't know about the Emo, but I have looked and measured the Baaske extensively. The Baaske is just a transformer, that's it. This gives some extra common mode attenuation, and the bandwidth of the transformer is low, just enough to barely pass an Ethernet signal. This can cut down on some frequencies of differential noise, but it also degrades signal integrity significantly. So putting one between the B side jack of an ER and an endpoint is almost guaranteed to make things worse. On the A side it may may have some effect, but it could be worse or better.

My gut feeling is to not use these at all.

John S.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Albrecht said:

Hi Alex,

Thanks very much for commenting. And I do apologize, - I may have missed some details in the threads surrounding the topology of the etherRegen. 

I suspect that this may have been asked before, - but, - if you use the "B" side as an "input" will the "A" ports be forced to be 100MB or will they/can they be gigabit?

Cheers,

When going from B to A, the CONNECTION characteristics of the RJ45 A ports don't change, they are still auto-negotiated to 10-100-1000, BUT since the B side is 100 the overall throughput is limited to 100. So if you connect to an A port at gigabit, the bits in a packet are traveling at gigabit protocol, but there is more time between packets.

The A side SFP interface is ALWAYS gigabit only.

John S.

11 hours ago, HumanMedia said:

Thermal issues, or non-issues, aside, do people find that specific voltages sound different/better? From the same supply even?

I seem to remember John mentioning that different voltage/power supply combinations could sound better. Maybe that was a microRendu thread? Or was it the EtherRegen, or both?

One poster indicated a feeling that a 7 volt Farad supply had a slight edge over the 12v Farad. Has anyone else noted a audio quality preference for difference voltage inputs?

Higher input voltages produce lower currents which produce smaller voltage drops across cables and connectors, which MIGHT give slightly better performance. The lower current can also significantly affect the power supply output, but exactly what happens is going to be very dependent on the particular supply.

So again as with pretty much everything else, no cut and dried universal rule.  If you have the option, try it your self and don't worry.

Just remember that say you want to buy a model X 12V supply, but it costs many hundreds of dollars, so you try a model Y 12V supply, if Y sounds better is not a guarantee that the 12V X will also sound better. 

John S.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

On 6/11/2020 at 3:01 PM, MB said:

Wanna say I have the utmost respect for John Swenson and his design and creativity ability.  I remember him from the squeezebox forum years ago.  Always loved to read his posts.  I had a Touch and John was mentioning he was designing a network player that would be better than the Touch, if I remember correctly.  I suspect that player turned out to be the microRendu, or so I am surmising.

I spent a LOT of time and money on that project. I have several prototypes that actually work. It turned out the hardest part was laying out the back panel, there were 16 jacks on the fairly small back panel!!

There were two XLR and two RCA, each pin fed by its own DAC channel, so it was actually a 6 channel DAC. Yep, you could have done a 5.1 system with it. This took some custom drivers to make it work.

I even had a connector on the front of the board so you could take off the front panel and screw in a 7" LCD touch screen. I never built that but I did have the connector for it.

We had someone ready to build and sell it for a reasonable price, but then the whole project was derailed by legal issues that I cannot discuss. I was so bummed by the whole thing I just dropped out of the forums.Every now and then I pick up the test boards and look at them and hold them in my hands and wonder how it would have gone otherwise. I probably would have spent the rest of my life supporting it!

The microRendu was a completely separate design. 

John S.

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, sgb said:

It was the combination of the switch with SFP to oM to the uR and HQP that caused dropouts. It disappeared when I bought the oR and the eR.  

HQP uses low level pause frames to implement flow control. The pause frames need a switch to see the pause frames and stop the stream for a period of time. The OM is not a switch so it doesn't know what to do with pause frames so over-runs can happen with HQP.

Other protocols deal with flow control differently so using the OM is only an issue with HQP and NAA.

The eR is a switch so it deals properly with pause frames so NAA and eR and oR works fine.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mikey26 said:

Any recommendations to mitigate incoming noise from the Coax RF cable that goes into the cable modem? I’ve tried a RF cable isolator and is has helped. My question is are there better RF isolators? Can you use multiples in a chain for further improvement? My goal is to lower the incoming noise as much as possible from the coax RF cable from the cable company.

This isolator you have is NOT an RF noise filter (if it was an RF filter you wouldn't get any signal, since the signal IS RF). These devices are a broadband transformer that lets the RF through, BUT blocks ground noise which can get developed over the miles of cable on the pole or underground.

If your cable modem doesn't have one of these builtin (some do) then the massive ground current from the cable can get into your system.

There is no "better filter" since what you have already blocks the ground current about as good as it can be done. The only issue is if the transformer is fully passing the RF frequency range used by the cable modem. Most of these were designed for TV and FM radio and may not fully pass the frequencies used by the cable modem. I don't know if the one you have fully does or not. If it works, it probably does!

John S.

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, Ricardo007 said:

@JohnSwenson

hello John,

do you think this isolator would work for cable modem (it is from Jensen a famous name in audio for transformers):

https://www.jensen-transformers.com/product/vrd-1ff/

it says has a bandwith of 2MHz to 1300Mhz

would it work also for a (magnum dynalab) tuner?

I have not tried that particular one, but according to the specs it should work very well.

John S.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 3/18/2024 at 6:27 PM, R1200CL said:

Sounds like these 10GB eye patterns then only make a selection of a certain voltage level. Correct ?

Why are they only defined in a standard for 10GB, and not for 1GB ?

But then fiber shouldn’t need voltage levels and eye patterns, but fiber to my knowledge has eye patterns. So maybe the measurement is taken somewhere else on the PCB ?

I assume in the end these voltage levels use same clock anyway. 

Do you have a link to the 10G eye diagram you are talking about? It is most likely the electrical side of an optical link, that IS binary and has a standard eye diagram. You can certainly do the same thing gigabit fiber. The problem is with the copper twisted pair interface. The actual cable pairs have pretty low bandwidth over long distances so they use multiple voltage levels to increase the data rate then use 4 pairs to get it up to gigabit. THAT is the interface that is going to be hard to do an eye diagram for.

John S.