IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

14 hours ago, Ultrarunner said:

I think a few have. I didn’t write a review but did mention that using the EtherRegen as a replacement of an opticalModule connected to my opticalRendu, was a significant upgrade. 

Hi, 

Thank you. That's very interesting. So, - you used the EtherRegen with no B: side connected, and ran a fiber cable from the SFP of the EtherRegen?

Thanks again for your comments.

Cheers,

2 hours ago, Ultrarunner said:

As Alex said. Copper in on B side / optical out to the opticalRendu.

I think it made as significant an improvement as changing from ultraRendu to opticalRendu, although it’s been a couple of months since I made that change. In any case, highly recommended!

thank you again for your clarification.

Also,- great to know that you got a significant performance boost when moving to the optical from the ultraRendu. I plan to move from the ultra to the optical as well.

2 hours ago, Superdad said:

No, I think (hope) he ran into the copper ‘B’-port and “out” of the optical SFP on the ‘A’ side.  The basic architecture and the ultra-low-jitter reclocking flops of the EtherREGEN are symmetrical on the two sides of the differential isolation moat—specifically so that people could run B>A (to an optical endpoint) and still obtain the special performance features of our switch. 

Hi Alex,

Thanks very much for commenting. And I do apologize, - I may have missed some details in the threads surrounding the topology of the etherRegen. 

I suspect that this may have been asked before, - but, - if you use the "B" side as an "input" will the "A" ports be forced to be 100MB or will they/can they be gigabit?

Cheers,

16 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

When going from B to A, the CONNECTION characteristics of the RJ45 A ports don't change, they are still auto-negotiated to 10-100-1000, BUT since the B side is 100 the overall throughput is limited to 100. So if you connect to an A port at gigabit, the bits in a packet are traveling at gigabit protocol, but there is more time between packets.

The A side SFP interface is ALWAYS gigabit only.

John S.

Hi,

thank you John for that clear and concise explanation. For someone who wants to hang their TV, BluRay, AppleTV etc off of their etherRegen, - it may require some creativity in setting the proper location of their etherRegen. I believe that Alex mentioned this before, - but the etherRegen seems to belong on the audio rack.

On 1/13/2020 at 10:12 AM, nonesup said:

In the month of March (and when I was thinking of updating my AQVox to the SE version), it will be two years since Alex made t

1.- If you have a normal Switch or an AQVox, changing it to an ER produces an increase in the SQ?  The answer is a big YES, even if you use the Uptone SMPS and even better with a good LPS.  Which shows that that pit or ADIM as Uptone calls it, is doing a great job.

Is it worth the ER?  Absolutely and for $ 650 it seems the biggest "bargain" in history.

Hi, Thanks for you post and your experiences. I am trying to see how I can make the etherRegen work with Fiber and my future opticalRendu. For those folks running Fiber, - i am trying to figure how the etherRegen could work. With that "B" port being 100mb....

6 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hi:

If you search this thread you will find that there are quite a few people using the EtherREGEN to feed the Sonore opticalRendu--and reporting terrific results.

We went to extra effort and expense--making the reclocking and power networks symmetrical on both sides of the moat--specifically so that going B>A would perform the same as A>B, so that the SFP/optical would  be excellent output for opticalRendu (and any other optical-input renderers/DACs that might be produced). B|

Thanks much Super... but.... What about my TV, bluRay, NAS, Airport Express on the "A" side will all be running at the lower 100mb bandwidth from the "B," side "input."

• 6 months later...
On 8/7/2020 at 12:13 PM, JamesBardsley said:

I've just ordered a Custom HiFi Cables DC3 linear psu for it.

So actually I'm more interested in that than network bridges.

I'm planning to try a fibre optic link from my PoE Cisco 2960's to the ER soon.

(Right now the ER is plugged straight into my PlusNet router with a Blue Jeans Cat 6a copper ethernet cable.)

If anyone knows what SFPs and cables would suit that task please let me know.

It's covered on various threads here, but most of them are about 50 pages long!

(sorry for thread digression)

Hi, 

IME Best to use Cisco brand SFPs. I have a spare Cisco MM LC to LC. With non Cisco SFPs, you have to get into the Cisco console & configure for 3rd party SFPs.

cheers