IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

12 minutes ago, Jud said:

Back to the many-splendored pleasures of ER and music to enjoy them with, as I occasionally listen during shuffle play/burn-in:

I do the same thing and had a similar experience with Carlos Nakai's Carry the Gift.  This is always on my burn-in playlist (yes, I have one of those in Roon) because it is typically a nice, calm interlude and the flute just floats.  But the first song suddenly sounded different.  It starts with a feathery flute intro, then in the distant background a strumming guitar (hadn't heard it so early in the song previously).  Now, with the ER, it was clear as day that the guitar gets louder as the flute goes to the background.  The guitar plays faster and louder.  Then the flute comes in faintly at first, then the two instruments are equally loud.  So, what was a gentle song was now (for the genre) a barn burner!  Finally, I heard two excellent musicians making music.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Hadn't listened to vocals.  The song Love is Blindness from Cassandra Wilson's New Moon Daughter.  I've listened to this one many times, but I literally stopped what I was doing and had to sit down to hear it all.  What a magnificent instrument the human voice can be.  And if you are familiar with her albums you know she works with wonderful musicians.  Now I have to look up the guitarist because he is making it all work.  

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

9 minutes ago, dminches said:

While one can play the music lower because of this, I am finding that I want to play the music louder because it is that more pleasing and there is zero fatigue.

I'm finding the same thing.  And my speakers like the extra volume, which provides greater resolution.  Overall, there is quite an increase in resolution.  Currently I'm keying in on wonderful tone and the spatial cues about the recording venue.  You can "see" the space.  

3 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

All they are asking for is any kind of objective evidence to support the claims or explanations proposed here. That's how real science works. Blind faith that one's perception and senses are infallible is the direct equivalent of a flat earther, whose world view is rooted in this exact belief.

Can we take this "discussion" elsewhere?  Of course, I want to add my two cents first.  😀  And that is there are well-known and respected audio designers who design by measurement, but who say that it is clear they hear distinctions that they cannot measure yet.  I believe that is what Alex was talking about when he mentioned having an open mind.  

2 hours ago, _JL_ said:

So the key findings here are: (a) run-in is a must before serious comparisons can be made;

For whatever reason, it always takes a new piece of gear a very long time to settle into my setup.  The eR is no different.  In fact, it reminds me of burning in my previous DAC -- there are periods when the sound is sublime and times when it doesn't sound very good at all.  Overall, now more than 130 hours of playing music, the peaky highs (seems others have the opposite problem) are gradually reducing.  I will probably give it 200 hours (arbitrary limit) before deciding if it is going to work with my DAC (which is my streamer/Roon endpoint too).  

1 hour ago, bailyhill said:

I wonder if the PS issue requires a different direction?  

You might want to check out this thread, including the last few posts:  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Are there quality external clocks that cost less than $3,500?

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Our Hong Kong dealer does a lot of business with Cybershaft and has been pushing them for some time to produce a version at an EtherREGEN-matching price-point. I don't know when that will happen though. 9_9

That is why we need an UpTone external clock in a JS-2 chassis.  Just saying.... :) 

17 minutes ago, stevebythebay said:

I'm guessing that to get something that will make a substantial improvement to your eR would cost up to 50 times the cost of your eR.  Likely better to look elsewhere in your system to improve SQ. 

That makes sense.  Was wondering about price and quality to determine if I wanted to do more research.  Not at this point since my DAC does not utilize an external clock and I'm sticking with my system for as long as it is working reliably. 

• 1 month later...
19 minutes ago, MartinT said:

My system is as shown in my signature and the diagram.  The EtherREGEN is inserted between my TP-Link 4G router and the Asus Tinker Board S single board computer running Volumio.  The feed into the A side is via an Acoustic Revive RLI-1 LAN isolator and 3m MeiCord ethernet cable. 

Perhaps you are pleased enough to just leave it as is now, but you might try removing the LAN isolator.  I ended up taking mine out of the chain.  Just a thought....

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/17/2020 at 12:12 PM, mourip said:

I am certain that my Mutec REF10 makes a nice difference clocking the ER.

What brand of clock cables are folks using to connect to the eR?  Thanks. 

41 minutes ago, MartinT said:

Short 0.5m Canare LV-61S 75 ohm cable, tested and found to be very decent.

I'm assuming this was DIY.  If not, could you provide a link?  Haven't seen any terminated 0.5m Canare.  Thanks.  

32 minutes ago, Clockmeister said:

What an interesting thread with quite a few UK participants I see, so any real conclusions here with regard to whether the Ether generator appreciates a good clock source over the delightful 575 Crystek O.E. fit?

NOTE:  there is a separate thread regarding clocks for the eR, but prior to that thread starting there were many comments in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, MarkusBarkus said:

I thought you folks would understand. 

Indeed we do :)    It is very hard for an audiophile to use the work "excessive" when describing the lengths they have gone to for best sound.  I'm just a little surprised you haven't told us about the anti-vibration footers you use for the rack.  

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, LowMidHigh said:

I experienced the same. A cascade of 2 ER sounds surprisingly better than one.

Itching to test the limits and get a 3rd...

So, the Ref10 clocks both?  Are you using the included SMPS for power?