IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

12 minutes ago, Theobetley said:

What do you mean by your shunts? Btw nice review.

ty

By shunts I mean devices for shuffling electron paths - e.g. iFi AC iPurifiers and/or IsoTek Isoplugs. I have quite a few of them. I find that trial and error around my system (which includes IsoTek components such as Titan/Sirius/Mira/Sub) makes a great deal of difference, and the right permutation can minimise unwanted digital edge. This applies no matter how good my system gets. Power management (noise mitigation) counts for so much in digital systems. (Vinyl / analogue is another matter - to oversimplify vinyl is never offensive you just want more rock 'n' roll.) Shunts are just another way of teasing electrons into optimised paths and streams - or so it seems. Of course they have a mind of their own and I have to keep chasing their tails.

5 hours ago, Iving said:

Going back to listen after 24 hours cooking overnight, the first thing I noticed was a silkiness - then astonishing detail.

Something was not quite right - and I found that I had to re-"trial-and-error" my shunts to balance the sound again. What I am saying (in line with recent posts) is that the EtherREGEN seems to change the audiophile rulebook somewhat. I wouldn't have expected to have had to change shunts in my system accompanying inclusion of the ER.

Another unexpected finding: I think, but am not sure yet, that whereas, prior to ER, inclusion of a Cisco switch between my PC and RedNet D16 AES improved SQ, and I assumed that it would remain - as in PC > Cisco > ER > D16 AES > DAC, today I think I prefer SQ without the Cisco. The ER seems encumbered by it. It's as if the ER is unleashed when the Cisco is removed: PC > ER > D16 AES > DAC.

Confounded with trying out such permutations is cable use. I can't reconfigure my shielded AQs willy nilly. I am no longer convinced (as I assumed I would be) that these are better than "cheapos" and need to do more listening to be sure. Another rulebook question mark.

Another "anomaly" - I need less (pre-amp) volume to listen with satisfaction - but the system will sound correct at much higher (pre-amp) volumes than before.

I can imagine that "upstream factors matter less and downstream more" - and that our spending decisions will be affected accordingly. Another rulebook vagary. (omg did I find myself thinking about "hearing" my power amps)

I am listening to PC > ER > D16 AES > DAC now and the SQ is phenomenal. Deep, open, clean, detailed. I was impressed immediately as I posted yesterday. Today better. When I have finished trying things out, and the ER is more or less fully roasted, I'm sure I shall be very happy and just want to listen to music a great deal more.

This is one hell of an audiophile bang-for-buck. Am I the first to be brave enough to suggest that the EtherREGEN is significantly under-priced? (Easy for me to say being a first batch beneficiary 🙂)

... quoting my own post earlier this evening since fwiw a qualifying and potentially helpful update ...

The EtherREGEN is a funny device.

The "upstream matters less downstream matters more" principle *is especially applicable to ethernet cables*!

Earlier, I was playing with a permutation of Cisco switch Y/N and my shielded AQs vs. cheapos. Three ethernet cables needed all told.

All the effects I experienced then - and the one I am reporting now - are explained by a single main factor. That is mainly why I post again.

It is the ethernet cable *after* the EtherREGEN that matters.

I found a "hang up my tweaking boots" sweet spot with the Cisco engaged and also my shielded AQs *provided I did not use a shielded AQ after the EtherREGEN*. Instead I used this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50cmUltra-Flat-CAT-7-10-Gigabit-Ethernet-Cable-Modem-Router-RJ45-For-LAN-Network/252342837198 (which I bought on a whim 18 months ago - and you may notice it has metal plugs but that doesn't seem to matter). The difference was seismic. Before shut in. After - now I have everything.

Detail. Open. Deep. I say again Deep! Not just soundstage - but solid, massive, thud and slam. Clarity across the frequency range and my favourite instruments are naked in all their glory - like Wayne Gray's telecaster (must be, surely - or an early derivative - but not a Broadcaster - was it a slabcaster or something) on Buck Trail's "Knocked Out Joint On Mars". Most of all - above everything - what makes it a sweet spot - no digital edge. I'm not going to say like vinyl. But I will say I could listen to this system forever and just enjoy the mojo.

(I noticed that ER volume ceiling effect more with the second cable too - can't figure that out in under a minute.)

I haven't had a drink ...

... but I do need a lie down.

AQ advised me they tie their ethernet cables at the destination end only. They didn't qualify wrt range.

Mine are Cinnamons. I added a great deal of extra shielding but did not alter the manuf. terminals. May I refer my recent posts.

What I have just posted is that the cheapo I linked cured my system *post-ER* contrast my shielded AQ Cinnamon.

The cheapo I linked is STP and may be tied both ends / metal plugs! 

I guess it's trial and error for all of us. Effects are system dependent. But I am excited because the post-ER cable swap made such a difference - that is the point. If my cheapo is good in other systems that would be even more interesting.

I hope you get your ER soon and your music is enhanced. It's a truly great audiophile product.

4 minutes ago, Superdad said:

I hope nobody is saying that.

One thing I do want to point out is what I wrote for the last paragraph of page 7 (the "Regarding Ethernet cables page") of the User Guide:

The ‘B’ side of the EtherREGEN is neither susceptible, nor can it become part of, ANY leakage loops. The ‘B’ side circuitry and port exist on their own entirely isolated power and ground domain. [Only the External clock BNC ground is common to the ‘B’-side ground-plane.] So if you have a fancy metal-shell shield-tied Ethernet cable, go ahead and use it on the ‘B’ side port for connection your DAC-attached streamer/renderer endpoint. This is the connection that matters most when using an EtherREGEN anyway: If you are going to hear a difference with an Ethernet cable, it will more likely be with the ‘B’-side cable. This is also a good one to keep short.

Brilliant

Consistent

Reportworthy that I'm getting an incredibly clean sound today. The ER's been on 120 hours. I haven't changed anything since yesterday. Today there's a very pure corridor of sound right down the middle of my speakers. The balance has shifted away from "weighty". The bass is still there but it's as if the mid-range has settled down to something quite pure. As if the local factories (there aren't many!) have shut down for the day. Or as if I've daisy-chained two ERs (which I have no intention of doing!) since the effect is really quite notable. Anyway - a major "cooking" threshold or so it seems to me. No tweaking for a while.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, TimF said:

I own an Er and have done for some time. Is powered by Sean Jacobs DC3. Can’t hear any improvements with it in. Maybe v2 will be better. 

Why have you kept it in your system for "some time" if you "can't hear any improvements with it in".

1 hour ago, TimF said:

Maybe, although I do have a £1000+ psu on it, good cables and a decent system. Who knows!?

That's a lot of power supply on a null component ... would you post your "decent system"? Not on your profile.

My eR is in an offline system - between PC and RedNet DDC - serving as both noise mitigator and optical/copper switch. I was one of the first to own an eR. Have always been able to hear a good delta even in primitive configs. of my system. I have a Farad Super3 12V on my eR. I just wouldn't be without it.

afaik production of the original eR was thwarted by parts shortages. So it will be interesting to read "listening impressions" of the eventual v2 - particularly whether it is better than v1.

• 6 months later...
23 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

I've just had great success feeding fiber into the ER.  The step-up in SQ was very significant.

I do appreciate that the ER is galvanic, and as such it shouldn't really matter how clean the input signal is.  I did however hear improvements when I upgraded the A-side ethernet cable from Supra to Wireworld, so thought I'd give fiber a go.

+1

In my offline Dante/Rednet system, isolation of the PC was much more effective with optical > A side eR.

What's more, no doubt that a good power supply on eR (Farad Super3 12V) improved SQ stepwise again.