IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

So, was it Uptone that recommended a "burn in" time? I mean, this thing runs pretty hot, so I fail to see how pushing bits through it is going to do anything.

Otherwise, I've had music running through it for near 24 hours. I haven't been listening much (because of yeah, this "burn in" thing, but there are two initial observations. Note, however, that I won't get a full grasp on SQ differences until I take the ER out of my system, and put it back in, etc., etc.,

#1 There seems to a be a purity of tone. Something extra pure now? I walked into some Strauss playing, whereupon I turned up the volume, sat down for a few minutes and listened to some very realistic violin and cellos. Now, mind you, I'm not as familiar with this piece as others, so I wasn't listening against audio cues hardwired in my brain, so take that with a grain of salt. It certainly was nice, though. Liquid, even.

#2 Could it be that the ER is accentuating some highs, slightly? My "accentuating" isn't the right word. Hearing Nat King Cole's "Welcome to the Club" with the ER running, well...with lesser systems, or before I had my room acoustically treated it's easy for Cole's vocals to get peaky. The vox is so forward juxtaposed against the music. With the ER in the system, no, it didn't get peaky again, but it didn't sound as full-bodied as it did before either. I'm talking fractions here. This is the same thing that I experienced on Elton John's "High Flying Bird" where the full analog sound of his vocals now seems a fraction lacking with the ER. By contrast, the background vocals were certainly clearer, the piano had more sparkle, and the bass guitar had that stellar growl that I like, only a tad more recessed.

#3 Jimi Hendrix's "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" - I had to turn it down a hair from my usual listening. It was definitely clear! I don't think I had ever heard Jimi's voice that clear in the left channel. BUT! - the guitar intro did seem a smidge peaky. It was as if that small area in the low-mids was no longer there. 

Now, none of this was necessarily unpleasant. Even when talking about Jimi's guitar in the intro, it didn't sound less real...just different, you feel me? 

So, in that respect, the ER is doing something. It's not just sitting there, for better or for worse; I'm simply trying to wrap my head around what I'm hearing. It could very well be that what I'm hearing is the way it's supposed to sound. But how would I know if that's the way it was supposed sound? :)

But anyway, if I'm hearing more delineated instruments, that's a good sign, yeah? You know, I need to go to some of my test tracks like Paul Simon's "Kodachrome" and "American Tune." 

SonicTransporter i5 -> Linn KDS/3 -> M3a-800S -> EgglestonWorks Andra II

1 hour ago, stevebythebay said:

I’ve found that the ER reveals more - warts and all.

And this may be what I'm hearing.

I just walk into my listening room and listen to whatever is playing. At one point David Bowie's "I'm Afraid of Americans" was playing, and I don't remember the song sounding so good. It still wasn't "audiophile" by any stretch, but it was pretty crystal clear. A great sound. 

By contrast, Ray Charles and Betty Carter were singing, "Everytime You Say Goodbye" from their 1961 album. Ray's mic sounded fine. Betty's, for the first time I hear what sounds like light distortion in her voice, as if it was recorded too hot. 

Revealing? Maybe that's it. The ER certainly wouldn't give off distortion. I think it's in the source. 

Anyway, I'm only about 27 hours in. 

1 hour ago, Dutch said:

The ‘music’ itself encoded in the ethernet stream is 100% identical (bit perfect, the etherREGEN is not a DSP or otherwise manipulating the data) and with the same Roon settings will have shown digital clipping before and after you using the etherREGEN. I would eat both of my shoes if it wasn’t and make Alex and John do the same! :)

What could be happening is you listening with more focus, now noticing the clipping and/or the EtherREGEN giving you ‘a clearer window to look through’. 

Putting it that way, yeah, what I wrote sounds silly. :) On the same token, though, I've had the clipping indicator for the last couple of years and never saw so much as a blip in the red. It's always in sight when I'm listening to music. Moreover, I'm not talking about brickwalled recordings either. We've got nice, easy wavs with peaks and valleys.

Anyway, it's probably a non-issue. There's nothing wrong with a little added headroom, anyway. My question was more like, "That can't be happening, can it!?" 😵

38 minutes ago, Dutch said:

@EVOLVIST, I understand! :) But if you’d like to convince yourself or me/us a simple experiment could do that; just remove the etherregen for a while and go back to your previous setup and settings.

I may, when the ER finishes its burn in. After all, I would remiss if I didn't do a before and after comparison in my system. 

Okay, so after 100+ hours of "burn in," I got to spend all afternoon with the ER in and out of my system. I invited my wife to come and hear the difference. I invited my audiophile buddy to come over and hear the difference.

Everyone's jaws dropped...when I told them I had paid $640 for something that nobody could detect a difference in SQ with.

I mean, that's just the way it goes sometimes. I guess it can be chalked up to system dependency - as a lot of things are in this goofy hobby - but at least now I have further confirmation that there is little wrong with my system, especially with my room treatment, DAC/streamer and speakers; it's sounds just as natural and musical as it did before I got the EtherREGEN on Tuesday. (I may shop for other amp alternatives soon.)

But hey, I have a feeling that the EtherREGEN is going to make a lot of people happy. I mean, people are already happy...and that's what matters. That means a lot.  I'm happy. Are you happy? 😃

On 11/14/2019 at 3:04 PM, Dutch said:

@EVOLVIST, I understand! :) But if you’d like to convince yourself or me/us a simple experiment could do that; just remove the etherregen for a while and go back to your previous setup and settings.

On 11/14/2019 at 3:46 PM, EVOLVIST said:

I may, when the ER finishes its burn in. After all, I would remiss if I didn't do a before and after comparison in my system. 

6 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Hi: 

I guess I’m a little confused about how went from the above on Thursday to the below tonight. 

Glad to hear you say you are happy. But if the EtherREGEN does not make your socks go up and down (as my wife likes to say), please allow us to refund your purchase. This is why we sell our products with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. :)

Thanks,

—Alex C.

I think the key part is the above quoted exchange between me and Dutch. Trying the ER in and out of the chain was imperative to get a full grasp of what the EtherREGEN was, or was not, doing. We often hear our own systems at first, yet slightly skewed by expectations, when really we are simply praising the merits of what we've already established.

I'm not saying that's the case with the EtherREGEN, but I am saying, what I perceived as the EtherREGEN settling in, curiously corresponded with me setting the headroom in Roon to -3DB. 

I really don't think it goes any deeper than that. What matters is that everyone is happy. I wouldn't dare comments on any other person's system or the thought process that goes into their listening. I can barely keep up with my own processes. :)