IGNORED

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN Listening Impressions

On 5/1/2020 at 5:50 PM, cat6man said:

mine is edgerouterX-SFP and comes with a 24v, 2.5A wall wart power supply.

says it support 9v-26v input and has a 5W maximum power consumption.

not sure why a 60W supply is needed for a 5W comsumption, on the other hand we know that oversized power supplies often have benefits due to the ability to provide peaks.

I use the same Ubiquiti router with a TeraDak 24V 2.5A lps replacing the wall wart. My plan to simply run fiber from its SFP cage to the ER got upended when I tried a Cisco 2960 switch in between the two, which I like better.  EdgeRouter X SFP > optical fiber > Cisco Catalyst > Cable Matters cat8 > EtherREGEN

• 3 weeks later...

Question: Does reversing the ER to serve two endpoints from the "A" side compromise SQ? These days I cascade from a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X SFP serving the entire house > optical fiber from the router > gigabit SFP cage in Cisco Catalyst 2960 > two Cable Matters cat8 from the 10/100 Cisco, one each to Allo DigiOne endpoint and ER "A" port > EtherREGEN "B" port > Shunyata Venom > Meridian 218 endpoint.

What is the theoretical sonic downside, if any, with the Cisco cascading into ER "B" and both endpoints on "A"? Each has metal RJ45s connected to shielding, I believe.

I know that the answer is "listen for yourself" which I will do, and report on, but I'm curious about any technical theories.