IGNORED

Bass Players

OP mentioned Phil Zone without noticing that Phil Lesh was already mentioned in the very first comment. Okay, let's skip it. In fact, there was no other bassist alike. Bass as a permanent solo instrument. Each individual string with its own amplification path. Does anyone know analogies in rock music (and not only in rock music)?

Anyone mentioned George Porter of the Meters yet?

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

I love bass players that use lots and lots of fuzz, a big muff fuzz pedal. Or bass players that have impact on the music without trying to outplay the rest of the band. I dislike solo's (bass,  guitar or on any other instrument).

The bass should put down the foundation. That does not always mean a rhythm line yes often is does. But it can also just be a low rumbling sound where the individual notes cant be heard.

Besides that here are some pics of bass players I like for different reason.

lena.jpg

misery.jpg

steve.jpg

[br]

2 hours ago, mordante said:

But it can also just be a low rumbling sound where the individual notes cant be heard.

You’re describing the sound escaping from the low rider with 24” subs in the trunk that’s next to you at a stoplight.  Or it could be turntable rumble, or 60 Hz hum - but I can’t really consider what you describe as an instrumental contribution to music of any kind.

Of course, it could also be the result of a blown speaker in the bass amp, in which case a recone might reveal some stellar playing :)

On 11/8/2019 at 4:00 PM, bluesman said:

You’re describing the sound escaping from the low rider with 24” subs in the trunk that’s next to you at a stoplight.  Or it could be turntable rumble, or 60 Hz hum - but I can’t really consider what you describe as an instrumental contribution to music of any kind.

Of course, it could also be the result of a blown speaker in the bass amp, in which case a recone might reveal some stellar playing :)

Why so close minded?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4ysatB9m9s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V89JtjisHr4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSySb9yGhdA

[br]

1 hour ago, mordante said:

Why so close minded?

I don't have to like everything to be open to it.  As a classically trained pianist and a professional musician for 60 years (guitar, bass, keyboards), I've been hired to back a wide variety of acts.  I have decent historical and contemporary knowledge of the spectra of genre and content of music.  I can even stretch my imagination far enough to accept that the fuzzy drone Cisneros is playing there could be considered a modern take on the pedal tone and that it might really make the right tunes pop.  Sadly, the only such efforts I've heard to date remind me more of Rachmaninoff's Prelude in C# minor played painfully slowly on solo fuzz bass.

I understand the drone band concept, and I like some of what I've heard.  But virtually atonal buzz bass seems to be far more physical than musical in its effect on the listener / feeler.  And I bet Adolph Rickenbacker is turning over in his grave :)