Ralf11

Bass Players

Rate this topic

28 minutes ago, marioed said:

Maybe I missed it but I was surprised no one mentioned Donald "Duck" Dunn.

Jud added him early on.

Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick and his 12 string bass

Current:  JRiver 24 on Win 10 PC (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with 32 GB RAM) or Daphile on an I5-2500K with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Audio Research SP-16

Amplification - PS Audio S300

Speakers: Wharfedale Linton Heritage

Cables:Tara Labs and DiMarzio Interconnects

No one is inside the Phil Zone??

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

Tal Wilkenfeld has to be on the list.

Current:  JRiver 24 on Win 10 PC (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with 32 GB RAM) or Daphile on an I5-2500K with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Audio Research SP-16

Amplification - PS Audio S300

Speakers: Wharfedale Linton Heritage

Cables:Tara Labs and DiMarzio Interconnects

20 hours ago, bluesman said:

He’s the glue that’s held hundreds of top bands together. Along with Russ Kunkel on drums, he’s the infrastructure of rock and country legends.

A momentary off topic: And Waddy Wachtel on guitar, who Keith Richards, a fair judge of guitar talent, picked to be in his band The X-pensive Winos.

Back on topic: Speaking of Keith Richards, I've always liked Darryl Jones, the Stones' "new" bassist, who played with Miles and Sting beforehand.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> eero Pro router -> EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen (powered by LPS-1) -> Ghent JSSG360 USB cable -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

nuh unh,  another hint (tho Jud already knows):

"Free your mind and your ass will follow"

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

nuh unh,  another hint (tho Jud already knows):

"Free your mind and your ass will follow"

Billy Nelson was Funkadelic’s first bass player, so I guess that’s your reference.  I wouldn’t put him up there with the top tier, but I wouldn’t kick him out of my band either.

Nope - think special sunglasses....

Juan Garcia-Herreros, Snowy Owl.

Including a drum solo on a drum!

First link is East Of Eden meets Jazz, the second is more  pure jazz.

So many fantastic bass players have been mentioned, few of them look better than Mohini Day though 9_9 And she's a very good player as well..

The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.

―  William Shakespeare.

3 hours ago, marce said:

Les Claypool.

Cliff Burton.

Robbie Shakespeare.

Wow, how could we not have mentioned Robbie 'til now?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> eero Pro router -> EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen (powered by LPS-1) -> Ghent JSSG360 USB cable -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

9 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Nope - think special sunglasses....

I don’t think Bootsy was on that album. If I remember right, Billy Bass was on the first 4 and that was #2.  I don’t own any, so I can’t look at the cover notes.

Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen (NHOP)

“All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone listening to music.”

How come no-one's mentioned him yet.? He's obviously more than a bass player.. 

Bill_Laswell_by_Peter_Gannushkin-04_WEB.jpg

Here's one of his formations - Material with Nils Petter Molvaer (at 4:00 the sound of the bass radically changes).

The man that hath no music in himself, nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds, is fit for treasons, stratagems, and spoils. The motions of his spirit are dull as night, and his affections dark as Erebus. Let no such man be trusted. Mark the music.

―  William Shakespeare.

I also think Jean Jacques Burnel of The Stranglers should be mentioned. No other punk bass in the mid 70s sounded like that.

―  William Shakespeare.

11 hours ago, marce said:

William Earl Collins?

a fine player but not the guy I've dropped hints about

@jabbr has mentioned him in other threads...

special sunglasses; James Brown's band, Funkadelic & Parliament, his own band...

William Earl ...