Where to begin... Childhood hero's.

Chris Squire.

Jeddy Lee.

John Entwistle.

Jon Camp.

John Paul Jones.

Jack Bruce.

Jacco, mentioned previously.

Got carried away with the J's, perhaps? - Rush's front man bassist is Geddy Lee.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

10 minutes ago, bluesman said:

I’m very intrigued by her tone, which seems to have a bit of the “bark” that characterizes a fretless Modulus (which has a graphite neck) even though she’s playing a fretted Fender Jazz Bass in her picture gallery.

I just learned something. The Fender Jazz Bass is known for a woody bark, which is brought out well with a slight 500-800Hz boost.  I’ve never owned a Jazz, and the players I work with who do don’t seem to like it so they EQ it down and their styles intentionally minimize it.

My only bass is a ‘57 P:

8A9005C0-70AA-4101-8715-9D704316537A.thumb.jpeg.e3fefc2287fc5fc6ee1a2e79060d9c9d.jpeg

And a la James Jamerson, it’s had the same flat wound strings for almost 30 years. My bass don’t bark.

17 minutes ago, bluesman said:

The Fender Jazz Bass is known for a woody bark, which is brought out well with a slight 500-800Hz boost.

Here’s more audiophilia!  Kings Glyk’s tone is not the same on the Rejestracja studio album as it is on the live Happy Birthday tracks, even on low res playback . The difference is easily heard by comparing the two versions of Sad & Happy Blues - I think the bark in her tone is slightly but clearly more pronounced on the live recording. I’d love to hear her live to know what she’s laying down.

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Hint: put a glide in your stride 

There are four P-Funk bassists in the Rock Hall of Fame. Which one do you like? (The flashy guy?)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Deleted - quoted the wrong comment.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

8 hours ago, Cebolla said:

Got carried away with the J's, perhaps? - Rush's front man bassist is Geddy Lee.

Fine choices all, John,although I think he actually goes by Geddy Lee! :)

And you stole a bit of my thunder, and as good as jack Bruce, and some others were, in the world of rock, no one could touch my all time bass hero, who we sadly lost, far too soon, a couple years back:

image.jpeg.e3a43b55cc2093161a4489351574a028.jpeg

Chris Squire of Yes

8 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

Tony Levin, mostly known for his work with Peter Gabriel and King Crimson, and his facility with the Chapman Stick.

An intro with a nice sample of the stick lead-in to "Elephant Talk" from King Crimson's Discipline album:

An incredibly talented bassist, and a really nice guy. I had the chance to meet him, and actually hang a while, talking music, while at  a party over 30 years ago. 

JC