IGNORED

Bass Players

1 hour ago, bluesman said:

Wow - I was unaware of her.  This is great stuff - thanks !!

There are other great videos of her on YouTube.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Jack Bruce was a freakin' madman, and I mean that in the best possible way.  :) 

Whenever discussions of bassists come up, I like to mention the two house band bassists for most of the dance hits of the 60s, James Jamerson (Motown) and Donald "Duck" Dunn (Stax/Volt).

And - Ladies and Gentlemen, Bakithi Kumalo (a few seconds starting at about 3:50, and a bit again at the end):

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 minutes ago, bluesman said:

I just found 2 of her albums on Amazon Music and am listening to Donna Lee as I write this. I think her version is as enjoyable as Jaco’s. I’m very intrigued by her tone, which seems to have a bit of the “bark” that characterizes a fretless Modulus (which has a graphite neck) even though she’s playing a fretted Fender Jazz Bass in her picture gallery.  I suspect that I’ll love her tone even more when the CDs arrive and I can hear it through my good systems.  Tone is clearly in the chops!! 

She is amazing!

The video I remember is (I think) of her instrumental of Clapton's "Tears in Heaven." Great stuff.

Just now, AnotherSpin said:

I believe one should look for great bass players in jazz area. Mingus, Haden, Garrison, Holland, Peacock, LaFaro, Mraz, Vitouš, and many, many others.

Love Mingus and Holland in particular.

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Hint: put a glide in your stride 

There are four P-Funk bassists in the Rock Hall of Fame. Which one do you like? (The flashy guy?)

Deleted - quoted the wrong comment.

20 hours ago, bluesman said:

He’s the glue that’s held hundreds of top bands together. Along with Russ Kunkel on drums, he’s the infrastructure of rock and country legends.

A momentary off topic: And Waddy Wachtel on guitar, who Keith Richards, a fair judge of guitar talent, picked to be in his band The X-pensive Winos.

Back on topic: Speaking of Keith Richards, I've always liked Darryl Jones, the Stones' "new" bassist, who played with Miles and Sting beforehand.

3 hours ago, marce said:

Les Claypool.

Cliff Burton.

Robbie Shakespeare.

Wow, how could we not have mentioned Robbie 'til now?