IGNORED

Bass Players

RIchard Davis  -  one of the pioneers of modern bass technique

Here he is driving the Thad Jones - Mel Lewis Orchestra.  He takes the wheel at about 1 minute into it and never stops driving!

I have the original vinyl and can say that it's up tight and outta sight!  The Solid State label (brought to us by Phil Ramone) was obviously not dedicated to traditional sound quality - but they managed to make some enjoyable recordings.  All their releases (of which I have more than half) are a little bit brittle, with an artificial multimic'ed sound stage and bass that's more thin than tight.  But they recorded some fabulous music that transcends their technology.  Interestingly, CDs of some of the Jones-Lewis releases came out decades after the vinyl and sound about as good.  I know of no audiophile releases of their music but would love to discover that there are some.

1 hour ago, bluesman said:

Wow - I was unaware of her.  This is great stuff - thanks !!

There are other great videos of her on YouTube.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Jack Bruce was a freakin' madman, and I mean that in the best possible way.  :) 

Whenever discussions of bassists come up, I like to mention the two house band bassists for most of the dance hits of the 60s, James Jamerson (Motown) and Donald "Duck" Dunn (Stax/Volt).

And - Ladies and Gentlemen, Bakithi Kumalo (a few seconds starting at about 3:50, and a bit again at the end):

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

14 minutes ago, Jud said:

There are other great videos of her on YouTube.

I just found 2 of her albums on Amazon Music and am listening to Donna Lee as I write this. I think her version is as enjoyable as Jaco’s. I’m very intrigued by her tone, which seems to have a bit of the “bark” that characterizes a fretless Modulus (which has a graphite neck) even though she’s playing a fretted Fender Jazz Bass in her picture gallery.  I suspect that I’ll love her tone even more when the CDs arrive and I can hear it through my good systems.  Tone is clearly in the chops!! 

She is amazing!

2 minutes ago, bluesman said:

I just found 2 of her albums on Amazon Music and am listening to Donna Lee as I write this. I think her version is as enjoyable as Jaco’s. I’m very intrigued by her tone, which seems to have a bit of the “bark” that characterizes a fretless Modulus (which has a graphite neck) even though she’s playing a fretted Fender Jazz Bass in her picture gallery.  I suspect that I’ll love her tone even more when the CDs arrive and I can hear it through my good systems.  Tone is clearly in the chops!! 

She is amazing!

The video I remember is (I think) of her instrumental of Clapton's "Tears in Heaven." Great stuff.

Just now, AnotherSpin said:

I believe one should look for great bass players in jazz area. Mingus, Haden, Garrison, Holland, Peacock, LaFaro, Mraz, Vitouš, and many, many others.

Love Mingus and Holland in particular.