39 minutes ago, jacobacci said:

enjoy (I'm explicitly not saying "use")

+1 on that!

39 minutes ago, jacobacci said:

So here's my Christmas wish:

Please build a lightweight streamer running on Raspberry Pi 4 that can be remote controlled from the Qobuz app (Win, OSX, Android, iOS).

It sure would be nice for us if Qobuz were to get into the hardware biz, or at least the server package biz, but it would be a nightmare for Qobuz. 🙂 On the other hand, they have been working on adding a UPnP solution in the desktop apps. Have you played with the beta? Account icon → Music playing → Listening preferences. Any UPnP endpoints it finds will then be listed in Audio Output at the lower right.

Everyone wants to date my avatar.

1 hour ago, jacobacci said:

Thanks for pointing to the UPnP functionality of the desktop app, Left Channel. Yes, I have tried it and thrown it to the bin. It is simply awful (at least with my hardware). Forget gapless, forget metadata. The UPnP function of BubbleUPnP is heaven in comparison. And the tablet apps do not have the UPnP functionality at all, which leaves me back where I started.

I am not advocating Qobuz to get into the hardware or software business. That would be an insane move for them. What I am suggesting is either a plugin for dietpi (probably the simplest solution) or a Qobuz image for Raspberry Pi that acts as a simple Qobuz renderer, controlled by the Qobuz app. The functionality for that is there in the (linux based) OSX app. The quality of such a plugin would be much easier to ensure than the quality of the partner implementations (such as Volumio, LMS Qobuz plugin, mconnect etc.). Most of the partner implementations have bugs that impact the user experience significantly.  The most blatant ones being

• the 500 favorites albums limit (that Volumio to date still has not remedied)
  • the display of track groupings for classical (which most of them still struggle with)

With their own "official" renderer plugin,  Qobuz would have end to end control and a way to stream the service to DACs in high quality.

Thanks for that review of the UPnP beta. Hope you've sent feedback to Qobuz, as it is a beta after all and clearly they do listen to their users.

Re the endpoints, OK I get it now. Plugins make more sense, and in fact I regularly rely on the Qobuz plugin for LMS, which has fixed the 500 favorites limitation by the way.

Plugins and images for more platforms and of higher integration quality would be nice to have. But I expect this situation will remain less than optimal, with streaming services being either too small or sadly too big to devote time and expertise to these free platforms. But Qobuz does offer their API and support to third-party devs, at no charge as far as I know (though the API is no longer public due to some abuse out there).

4 minutes ago, jacobacci said:

Yes, Volumio, mconnect and co use the API in their apps for the Qobuz client. That means these companies need to build their own UI using the API. This also means (almost) all stumbled over some ascpects of the API such as the retrieval of more than 500 favorite albums.

A nice sideffect of an official Qobuz renderer plugin would be that it would allow other streamers to use the plugin within their own app.

And the biggest advantage would be that it requires minimal hardware (wouldn't mind it being limited to armv7 / Raspberry) and would allow full remote control via the Qobuz app.

The 500 favorite limit was fixed for LMS by one guy in about one hour, so I don't know what the holdup is on those other platforms. But Qobuz is a small company with a very long backlog of dev work ahead of them. If this fix were on their list too, that one hour might not happen until a decade from now... 🙂

• 1 year later...
16 hours ago, Balthazar B said:

If well-executed, AI won't be as limited as this at all. A good AI-driven musical discovery capability:

Even Mr. Singularity himself, Ray Kurzweil, foresees limits in AI's ability to work with poetry and literature even as it reaches the ability to translate and organize nonfiction and even some types of fiction. I expect similar limitations in music.

16 hours ago, Balthazar B said:

That's really disappointing. It just means that Qobuz's competitors will continue pulling away

If Qobuz were like its competitors, I would not be here.

31 minutes ago, Balthazar B said:

Thanks for commenting!

• We're not asking AI to create music, but to do immense and deep pattern matching to present a plausible set of existing musical (or video, or written) selections based on all the information it can correlate, over time, about what a person enjoys listening to (or watch, or read -- or find) -- and doesn't. AI can do this pretty well right now, and it gets better year by year. 
  • If Qobuz had certain capabilities some of its competitors already have -- in addition to what it already is and does extremely well -- it would be a much more compelling service for me.

I understand and appreciate your position. Please just note I did not write "create", I wrote "translate and organize", and that people much smarter than me believe a certain level of human expression will always remain incomprehensible to machine intelligence. Anyway I would opt out of any attempt to record everything about my listening habits, just as I'm already opted out of map history, search history, and etc.  I don't use capabilities some of the competitors already have because I find their results disappointing and the whole idea creepy, so if such features were added to Qobuz I wouldn't find it more compelling myself, but if it keeps you subscribing then that's fine. I just want the Qobuz folks to know I appreciate what they're already doing now.

• 2 months later...

I request support for the ASIO4ALL driver. Just tested with version 5.8 for Windows, and it still sounds terrible. I regularly use that driver with other music apps. Back to WASAPI Exclusive Mode. (Oh and by the way, "WASAPI" is not a word so it should not be written "Wasapi". But thanks for changing the spelling of "Favorites" in the US app. Very happy about that.)

7 hours ago, David Craff said:

Hi,

We are currently working on updating the libraries used by our application. This takes time.

But I have planned a big project on the management of audio driver & protocols such as Asio, Wasapi etc...

Regards

Thank you David. The Qobuz app works with other ASIO drivers I've tried, just not with ASIO4ALL.