• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
1 hour ago, rando said:

Aggrieved elements leaking into my previous message may have been imparted by an act of downloading multiple GB of WMA 🤢 at a point of the day I was prepared to not deal with computers any further.  SOP in every case except questions of sex is to select the "other" option and proceed directly to affirming reception of what is needed.   

My aggreviated elements kinda became too hot after reading this.

23 minutes ago, baoutch said:

Ok so I am a defector from Spotify.

I got to say the sound quality is in comparison absolutely fantastic.

But there is something really disappointing : the impersonal feeling that the app gives me.

To be fair, I paid a whole year of subscription at Qobuz (which as you know is double the price) had all my playlists transferred and so on, but it's like I'm stuck with an old living room CD player. I need to find a sound, then play it then go back to it, find another one. You get the point.

Whenever I open the app there is nothing fresh and related to my taste. I really despise Spotify because of its business model and sound quality, but I discovered tons of good stuffs that were just fitting my taste at a certain point of my life that I now find absolutely essential. I mean, reco algorithms are the heart of every streaming service nowadays. For instance I miss the discover weekly playlist so bad that I really question my decision to move my subscription.

So my question is simple : are you guys planning on releasing some recommendation algorithm and if so is there an approximate release date ?

I really question me staying here if not.

Thanks

Interesting question. And in a way demeaning to human dignity. Are we capable of deciding for ourselves what we listen to, or are we totally dependent on a computer algorithm and its recommendations?

1 minute ago, kumakuma said:

Does anyone turn over the decision making process entirely to " the machine"?

I think most people use the recommendations as a way to discover new music to listen to, similar to reading reviews in a magazine or scanning the posts to the Albums of the Evening thread here on this site.

Do you know the point when recommendation turns into decision? Tell me.

4 minutes ago, DuckToller said:

For human brain and consciousness absolute knowledge and information seems to be not possible, for a machine less so. Even the machine doesn't anticipate my emotional relation to particular music, it may look for objectively comparable data and offer me music I did not know or did not take into account. That is why I like Robin Radio a lot, depending in my playlists before.

Yes, machine offers you listen.

1 minute ago, kumakuma said:

Yes, the recommendations are typically based on artists or albums I have added as favorites or songs that I have listening to.

In other words, choices I have made.

Well, if it was result of your previous choices why you became dependent on machine recommendations now?

3 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

I haven't.

The computer recommends songs and artists I might like.

Sometimes I listen to them. Sometimes I don't. 

For some reason the old joke comes to mind: yesterday you bought soap online, today Facebook recommends ropes and stools.

1 minute ago, baoutch said:

[...]

This is a bit extreme... I'm still able to keep my dignity and know if I like a song or not, just like when I browse the playlists in Qobuz articles or when my friend tells me "hey listen to this". I don't really care where it comes from and I'm not afraid of machines actually if tweaked fine they can be pretty awesome.

Any "choice" is not independent, whatever the mind may tell. You can choose to follow the advice of people, you can choose to follow the advice of machines. As long as we are asleep, there is no difference.

13 minutes ago, baoutch said:

Anotherspin your anger and tone are really not cool, just wanted an answer to a simple question from anyone related to Qobuz.

But I guess I'm starting to understand the philosophy here...

Good night / day.

Anger? What are we talking about? All I'm trying to say is to express doubts about the adequacy of the machine-generated recommendations. But, whatever. Please be assured I will not lose my sleep, if you or anybody else feel more comfortable in a matrix.

2 minutes ago, baoutch said:

Got that right. Sorry.

Ok Neo.

Plus browsed this thread found this :

So I guess I have my answer now (and also a sense of why you can get this idea... Yeah Neo I'm looking at you...).

Good luck and hope to see these features soon.

Thanks

Personal attacks start when the ability to engage in dialogue stops. But, I have no complaints. Have a good evening. And, welcome to the machine.

Just now, kumakuma said:

You didn't hear me right. Go back and read my post again.

Ok. How did people listen to music before Roon or Spotify came along? Rambling around in the dark? Listened to a single record on a repeat? I didn't. Maybe that is why I can not understand your dependency upon machine-generated recommendations. Sorry, it is beyond my ability.

10 minutes ago, baoutch said:

Thanks for this answer. For some parts I had to use google translate (yet another machine to help me do something I can't naturally...) so excuse me if I misunderstood some of your statements.

As a background, I work 15 hours a day (coding machines btw), have to manage the kid, need to make some food, buy groceries, walk the dog, clean the place etc... So the whole "dig through millions of songs and find music by yourself cause you're not entitled to the machine"... well I wish I had time for that...

The way I used Spotify was like this :

• At first I add all the artists I liked little by little, listened to them as I do on Qobuz, then when I have time browse through related artists, found some good stuff.
  • Also I can see what my friends listen to on the sidebar, so sometimes I click and listen, or go through their playlists -> found many good things like that.
  • I read something that triggers my curiosity about an artist -> I'll go check him out. Old school.
  • I'm working, I listen to a song I feel is particularly fitting my mood, I launch a radio with that song (just like I did with last.fm 15 years ago), -> sometimes discover new stuff add artists ...
  • And finally the discover weekly which is in my opinion an awesome piece of AI software, because there are almost always 2 or 3 songs I like, sometimes very unexpected genres, very eclectic and refreshing, I opened to so many artists I would have never heard of -> I add new artists to follow, go check their music afterwards, and so on

All those way I interact with the app have the same purpose : feeding my curiosity / love for music.

Am I being a lazy mouth-opened douche fed by machines for doing that ? Don't feel like it, maybe a little but fine by me.

Using the algo is only a part of the experience, but it does stuffs I genuinely could not do by myself.

You describe it as The Matrix - which AI can be ofc when it's used to sell you pampers -, but to me in that particular case it's more like Interstellar.

Nice day to you all

Cheers !

If you love music, music will find you. I grew up in a country behind the Iron Curtain, where all information was carefully dosed and dissected. But an irrepressible interest did the trick, and in every way possible we were able to research and found what we wanted to listen to, from The Rolling Stones, Yes and Grateful Dead to Mahler, Beethoven and Miles Davis. Maybe this is why I won't trust a computer with what is so important to me as a human being. Consumer society is set up differently, and I feel sorry for people who choose their music/food/political views/spouse etc. with the help of an algorithm. However, what is -- is, I am not going to argue. Glad Qobuz put the effort into quality rather than recommendations algorithms.

34 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

If I love the music, does it matter how it found me?

If I found my wife though an online dating site, will I love her any less?

Should I reject the knowledge and insights contained in a book because Amazon.com recommended it to me?

Of course not. Still, why do you hesitate to ask yourself first?

3 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

If you walk into a record store, do you actively try not to look at the album advertisements on the walls and the albums placed in more visible locations? 

When I went to the shop (not anymore, it was a long time ago) I had a pretty good idea of what I was interested in and what I wanted to buy. About the same is still true today. I am well educated and well informed, if I listen to the possibility of a random choice (or machine generated choice), it is not the only possible option and not the first any way.