IGNORED

another vinyl thread

I don't care what some say about vinyl can't be better than digital....

I just moved and one of the last things i have done during the moving process was hook up my turntable.  I used to play a record once a month or so, but have gotten out of that habit over the last couple years....

Well, after just hooking up the record player (i have had the stereo hooked up for over a month), i just had to test it and played america as it was the first record i picked up....

It just felt good...really good.

Better or not, i may have to go back to playing an album a month again just to get that "good feeling".

image.png.ac55a28cc8486d8190d767f14b37ca61.png

23 minutes ago, STC said:

Vinyl can sound more natural than digital. You can make digital to sound like vinyl but not the other way round. 

This is a good representation of what this John Coltrane track should sound like, I have yet to find any digital version that comes close:

How does this version compare with the original YouTube version?

BTW, it's not so easy to markedly improve 127Kbps .aac Audio with DSP !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wwm4368qmp2enh5/Blue Train.m2t?dl=0

I will remove the link in a day or 2 due to bandwidth reasons.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

2 hours ago, Rexp said:

This is a good representation of what this John Coltrane track should sound like, I have yet to find any digital version that comes close:

That is recorded with an MV88 over a phone!  Come on.  It is good considering, but doesn't sound exactly fantastic vs the real thing on CD or LP. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 hour ago, esldude said:

That is recorded with an MV88 over a phone!  Come on.  It is good considering, but doesn't sound exactly fantastic vs the real thing on CD or LP. 

Yes. That YouTube version doesn't even come remotely close to the CD version that I just listened to.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Played through highly modified X-DAC V3, Class A HA and ATH M70x headphones

folder.jpg

Euphonic With You

I don't care what they think about me, and
I don't care what they say
I don't care what they think if you're spinning
I'm gonna beg you to play
I don't care if they start to convolute me
I don't care what they do
I don't care about anything else but listening to you, listening to you
Vinyl don't go, don't leave this scene
Be out of the picture, and off of the screen
Don't let them say we told you so
They tell me you'll groove me and then let me go
I heard the warning voice from engineers and relations
They tell me all about your distortion
But I'm just gonna play

And BTW, I think a vinyl sub-forum would be fine; I still have some LPs
9 minutes ago, bluesman said:

'Trane was one of the most creative and inventive artists ever. Like most artists at the very top level,  he mastered the fundamentals of his craft early in his career and spent the rest of it exploring new avenues of expression. And, again like many, he moved from the mainstream of his genre to the cutting edge in a lifelong quest for new ways to make the music he loved.  He had a gorgeous tone with excellent intonation, and he was a masterful technician on his horn with an innate understanding of harmony, theory and timing that few have ever achieved. I don't much like his later explorations either - some are frankly cacophonous and others would be boring technical exercises if played solely to blow as many notes as possible into the shortest time spans.

I don't like Miles' excursions into the far reaches of fusion, but I listen to one of his early albums at least 2 or 3 times a week.  I really disliked Wes Montgomery's "pop" albums (e.g. California Dreamin') because they were boring - but Wes was the guitarist who started me down the path to life as a jazz guitarist, and I still learn from listening to tracks of his that I've heard literally a thousand times (I bought my first WM albums in 1959-1964 and I've listened to something from at least one of them every few days).

'Trane was a beautiful player who could bring you to tears.  If you don't know his early works, have a listen to Lush Life:

and to his truly gorgeous pairing with Johnny Hartman on what I think is one of the most wonderful albums of all time:

There are parallels to 'Trane's evolution in every art.  Picasso was an amazingly gifted artist whose early works were as traditional as could be.  But, just as "Trane did, Picasso evolved and explored many forms of expression. In doing so, he created some art that is still very hard for me to understand.  Dali was as fine an artist as any - his technical skills, understanding of color / form / composition etc were truly masterful.  But the stuff for which he's best known is simply not pleasant enough to my wife and me to hang on our walls - I wouldn't want to look at it on a regular basis.

Art is as alive as artists.  No one's hit record is 100% and there's probably something for each of us to love in the spectrum of most great artists' output.

I have a similar option about Coltrane. Love his early stuff. Can't stand his later albums.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

50 minutes ago, bluesman said:

If you don't know his early works, have a listen to Lush Life:

I very much under-appreciate Jazz and basically know next to nothing about it.  However, Lush Life is truly outstanding.

(It was also my first phony high-res purchase on HDtracks.  My 70 year old National Academy of Sciences friend could hear that something was wrong, and suggested we do a Fourier analysis to see what the problem was.  That post is around here somewhere...)