IGNORED

New Audio-GD DI-20?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Something I am definitely considering. Tons of hyper and I bet it sounds great. Thinking of putting it after my pi streamer than doing i2s to my dac.

But there is competition from denafrips. And other approaches for a  better all in 1 streamer like lumin u1 mini or d300 ref.

This thread prob shouldn't be in DACs subforum.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2020 at 6:59 AM, smodtactical said:

Well I got DI20HE and its DOA. Sad. Tried everything to get it going. Will be returning, not sure for refund or replacement. Considering denafrips Gaia now but its very pricey for a DDC so I don't know.

I hope you have your problems addressed by Audio-GD??

I am getting one too, I hope that the issues solved when my unit is shipped.

I am sure like you I am trying to get the USB module out of my DAC and feed it pure I2S. I hope that is the true way out as I dont read too many good reviews of the I2S signal out of the computer addressing our CAS needs....even fro Pink Faun implementation - however some smattering of positive views from Head-Fi is hardly reassuring as they are struggling with the units reliability? I hope that is a software and not a hardware issue?

But the Gaia reviews are more positive....

My fingers are crossed for the DI-20HE.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

13 hours ago, zerung said:

I hope you have your problems addressed by Audio-GD??

I am getting one too, I hope that the issues solved when my unit is shipped.

I am sure like you I am trying to get the USB module out of my DAC and feed it pure I2S. I hope that is the true way out as I dont read too many good reviews of the I2S signal out of the computer addressing our CAS needs....even fro Pink Faun implementation - however some smattering of positive views from Head-Fi is hardly reassuring as they are struggling with the units reliability? I hope that is a software and not a hardware issue?

But the Gaia reviews are more positive....

My fingers are crossed for the DI-20HE.

Zerung Im sure you should be fine. I switched to I2s output and have u1 mini feeding it coax and the cut out problem is gone but now i get this sound shift / volume shift issue for 0.5 to 1 sec and a tiny pop that happens every 5 minutes. Its much more tolerable but if it doesn't go away I may have to still return.

Let me tell you that this unit sounds incredible. And when you combine with a good streamer you get real magic out of it. The sound is just addictive.  If I do end up returning it ill probably try to get a replacement.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 12:01 PM, soundlogic said:

Has anyone purchased or heard the new Audio-GD DI-20? As one who has tried a number of “usb digital interfaces”
Mutec MC3+USB, Kitsune’ tuned Singxter SU1, and currently Gustard U-16...this Audio-GD looks like beast, especially the DI-20 HE with the upgraded PS.
check it out: http://www.audio-gd.com/R2R/DI20/DI20EN.htm

Hi Soundlogic,

Thank you very much for this post. I have a friend who has the Audio-GD Master 7 and really likes it. But, - I really appreciate your post, (and your opinion carries a lot of weight with me), as you've had the Mutec, SU1, U-16, etc in your system. I've used the Berkeley, the SU-1, the Matrix, APL, and currently am running the U-16 and like it.

(I don't run DSD, - so the U-16 works fine. And, - from my experience, - I agree with Tubelover2's great USB-SPDIF converter shootout)

I've not pursued the SU-6 as I am not running DSD and the price seems steep compared to what people say as far as it comparing to the U-16.

Anyway, IMO, $500 for the Audio-GD is reasonable if it is a significant bump up from the U-16. 

All this being said, - the appeal of the DCS network bridge is starting to grow on me as I know i spent more than $4000 on Sonore/Uptone streamers, power supplies, cables, magic stones, and special incantations and candlelit ceremonies in the deep of night on all the solstices....   🙂

Thanks again for your posts, and how is it running-in so far??

Cheers,

An interesting product.  In my case I use a Mutec MC3+USB fed from a Mutec REF10.  The REF10 is a keeper, but I would be interested in anything that might out perform the Mutec MC3+USB, which is a fine product but is arguably held back a touch with it's built in switch mode power supply.

So if anyone ever puts one of these head to head with the MC3+USB, I would be fascinated to know the outcome.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

On 6/24/2020 at 7:41 PM, zerung said:

The journey is to take out my Amanero USB module from the DAC, feed IIS directly. (Ironically the Amanero is now in this unit).

Lampizator are now using a new USB to i2S board, making its first appearance in the 10th Anniversary limited line of products.

It's sourced from JLSounds and probably has custom firmware too, since it appears as "Lampizator" under Linux (it works flawlessly under Linux at all rates!).

This board has opto-isolators and embedded clocks, better than the ones used on the super-clocked Amanero board and does PCM768 and DSD 512.

I have installed it on my Amber 3, replacing the super-clocked Amanero board and it does indeed sound fabulous, with a realism -especially apparent on vocals- smoothness (less sibilance) and overall naturalness, which elevate the Lampi above and beyond the (obvious to me now...) constraints imposed by the Amanero board.

@tedwoods Thanks for sharing this.

I have already taken the path away from all USB boards in my GG. However I do have another B7, which I might try the board you have recommended. I will also perhaps go linux soon.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/24/2020 at 6:41 PM, zerung said:

Well! I got my DI-20HE.

The journey is to take out my Amanero USB module from the DAC, feed IIS directly. (Ironically the Amanero is now in this unit). I did not want to extract IIS from the server either......

So the Di-20HE. Which is now my 'Wow!' module.

The sound is here by the bucketful. The unit still needs to burn in.....Some of the sanding of the rough edges from an extremely organic presentation should be possible....It has to be said, that the sound is not fully settled.

Also at this time it is PCM192 Max (Roon>HQPlayer) to the 20HE, then SPDIF to my Lampizator. These (20HE) only do DSD via the HDMI/IIS-Which I will try once I find out the DAC HDMI pin assignment and I have a suitable cable.

I will also use the external clock and that should do more? 

IMG_3779.JPG

In your signature the Ultra Rendu and Uptone Audio IsoRegen are strikeout. I guess it means that you use to have them and now you don’t. Did you test with and without the Ultra Rendu feeding the AUDIO-GD DI20HE and liked the sound better without the Ultra Rendu?

Also did you have any other DDC (like for example U-16, OR5 or Berkeley) before you got the DI20HE?

1 hour ago, zerung said:

@Summit The Isoregen is no longer effective. Nor the UR.

Headfi had the DI-20G bettering U16 and to me the only competition was Gaia. But cost of the HE was the big swing....I was also A bit swayed by Kingswa, the designer. He seemed like a maverick and may do something crazy....

I never took stock of Berkeley (OR OR5) either,  the specs was not for me (No ext clock or IIS) I am sure that product is wonderful?

The HE provides you the Happiness of a Computer/DAC combination.....assuming you don’t have the means to pay for Taiko Extreme.

Interesting that you like it better without the Ultra Rendu. With the DDC I have (OR5/U-16) gear upstream (Ultra Rendu and JCAT NET board) still matters.

I wonder if @Blake prefer to use his Gaia with or without the Ultra Rendu? 

I run a Mutec MC3+USB.  With the Mutec, if you feed it DSD, the Mutec itself will convert the DSD feed to PCM, reclock, then output via S/PDIF.  This I understand, and Mutec claim this is how things must work, as you cannot "re-clock" DSD.

This begs a question.  If I am interpreting things correctly, the Audio GD DI-20 can accept DSD via USB, and output DSD via S/PDIF / AES/EBU.  The Audio GD DI-20 also has a 10MHz input, for something like a Mutec REF10 or similar.

Therefore, if you were feeding the Audio GD DI-20 DSD via USB, and getting the same DSD rate via S/PDIF output, I presume this is kind of a "pass through" mode, and the REF10 (or internal clocking) would effectively be doing nothing?

Is this right?  Does anyone have any insight into this aspect?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

One other question.  My only proper reference for "digital to digital converters" is my own Mutec MC3+USB.  I have searched through the 'net for some kind of comparison between the MC3+USB and the Audio GD DI-20, and basically found nothing.

Has anyone seen anything?

2 hours ago, Confused said:

I run a Mutec MC3+USB.  With the Mutec, if you feed it DSD, the Mutec itself will convert the DSD feed to PCM, reclock, then output via S/PDIF.  This I understand, and Mutec claim this is how things must work, as you cannot "re-clock" DSD.

This begs a question.  If I am interpreting things correctly, the Audio GD DI-20 can accept DSD via USB, and output DSD via S/PDIF / AES/EBU.  The Audio GD DI-20 also has a 10MHz input, for something like a Mutec REF10 or similar.

Therefore, if you were feeding the Audio GD DI-20 DSD via USB, and getting the same DSD rate via S/PDIF output, I presume this is kind of a "pass through" mode, and the REF10 (or internal clocking) would effectively be doing nothing?

Is this right?  Does anyone have any insight into this aspect?

Max DSD 128 dop is possible from the S/PDIF output.

Some folks on Head-fi are using the Mutec Ref 10 together with DI-20HE.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-gd-di-20.918123/page-68

21 hours ago, Summit said:

Max DSD 128 dop is possible from the S/PDIF output.

Some folks on Head-fi are using the Mutec Ref 10 together with DI-20HE.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audio-gd-di-20.918123/page-68

Thanks for the link.  Plus, thinking about all this, the fact that the Audio GP can output DSD as DoP, whereas the Mutec MC3+USB cannot, I believe this answers my question in post #18.

On 7/26/2020 at 2:02 PM, Confused said:

Thanks for the link.  Plus, thinking about all this, the fact that the Audio GP can output DSD as DoP, whereas the Mutec MC3+USB cannot, I believe this answers my question in post #18.

Sorry my friend I do not think you are right in post no.18, there is no "pass through" mode in a DDC, and REF10 does what it does, ie works as a reference clock, no matter what output or format you use. The (reference) clock signal from REF10 is independent of whether the decoding is for PCM, DSD or DSD dop.

9 minutes ago, Summit said:

Sorry my friend I do not think you are right in post no.18, there is no "pass through" mode in a DDC, and REF10 does what it does, ie works as a reference clock, no matter what output or format you use. The (reference) clock signal from REF10 is independent of whether the decoding is for PCM, DSD or DSD dop.

Actually, that is what I meant in post #21, although I could have been clearer in my post.. 

So to clarify, GD DI-20 can output DSD as DoP, and this can be "clocked".  The Mutec converts DSD (DoP or native) to PCM, and cannot output DSD in any form.

In post #18, I had not thought this through and was thinking of native DSD with respect to the GD DI-20, which in this case is irrelevant as it is DoP.

So some earlier miss thinking in post #18, but I think we are now actually agreed.  We are certainly agreed that I was not right in post #18!

28 minutes ago, Confused said:

Actually, that is what I meant in post #21, although I could have been clearer in my post.. 

So to clarify, GD DI-20 can output DSD as DoP, and this can be "clocked".  The Mutec converts DSD (DoP or native) to PCM, and cannot output DSD in any form.

In post #18, I had not thought this through and was thinking of native DSD with respect to the GD DI-20, which in this case is irrelevant as it is DoP.

So some earlier miss thinking in post #18, but I think we are now actually agreed.  We are certainly agreed that I was not right in post #18!

Great, you confused me in these previous post 😄

• 2 weeks later...