IGNORED

Article: Favorite Female Vocalists

Melody Gardot, Norah Jones, Cecile McLorin Salvant, Concha Buika, Gillian Welch, Halie Loren, Jeanie Bryson, Katie Melua, Lhasa de Sela, Natalie Merchant, Mariza, Molly Johnson... C'mon!

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

.....and I almost forgot Dee Dee Bridgewater!  I took my wife to hear Thad & Mel at the Village Vanguard for our anniversary (after dinner at Le Chanteclair - I was smart enough even in 1973 to know that I couldn’t get away with jazz as the sole celebration of our anniversary...).  During the show, Cecil Bridgewater (one of the trumpeters in the band, which was then made up of the top NY jazz & studio guys including several from the Tonight Show band) walked up to the mic and introduced his wife Dee Dee as the band’s new vocalist - and she was spectacular! 

She’s even more so now.

On 10/30/2019 at 6:14 PM, kumakuma said:

Madeleine Peyroux

It is a shame here live performances and her voice have really taken damage as she got older.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

2 hours ago, ripples said:

Having  enjoyed  Cecile McLorin Salvant  performance  last night :D, allow me to say she belongs way up there wow.

I saw her live and it was an amazing experience.

Same with DIana Krall, I really dislike her recordings but live, she is an amazing and her piano playing is amazing.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

I'd never heard of any of the vocalists above. Not really my cuppa. I also avoid the Barbies and Krells and Pigeons and Perus...

Reminds me of one of the two reasons that made me give up shows: rubbish music and insultingly loud SPLs.

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

OK - Bettye LaVette has to be on here - just for out and out raw emotion. I got to see her at The Ark in Ann Arbor, MI and it was just a rollercoaster of emotion on the stage. 

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Some of the recordings such as the attached are worth a listen too, but avoid the remastered versions.

01.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

The OP listens mostly to Jazz, but maybe doesn't prohibit other suggestions?

I never paid too much attention to Allison Kraus until I saw her on CMT Crossroads with Robert Plant; it is one of the better shows I've ever seen on television (the same can be said for five or six of CMT's other pairings).  Maybe I don't get out enough,  but her solo rendition of When the Levee Breaks and the duet of Black Dog is the best example of how understatement can be spectacular that I've ever heard.  Too bad neither are on the Raising Sand CD.  I only listen to Allison Kraus "some", but in my book she is one of the better talents in the business now - she is one of the few "younger" modern performers who can rely solely on talent rather than smoke and mirrors and flash.

My new favorite female vocalist was recommended to me by Pierre Sprey of Mapleshade: Kristin Andreassen.  She sings "well", plus her songwriting is really good too.  Some are songs are cute, some show a dry sense of humor (Readily available on TIDAL, at the least, start with My Crazy for humor, and Crayola Doesn't Make a Color for Your Eyes is quality music, and cute).  If you fall in love with her and like Americana/Bluegrass, she is in a group called Uncle Earl that isn't shabby either.

Speaking of smoke and mirrors and flash, I've never listened to Lady Gaga but I wonder if she has any recordings that showcase (only) vocal talent.  I was surprised a couple of years ago, maybe at the Super Bowl (before overpaid whining pro athletes made the sport dead to me), as her rendition of The Star Spangled Banner is probably the best I've ever heard.

Maybe we need another thread titled, "Who Knew He/She is Actually Great Singer!"  My first nomination would be Kid Rock...

Who would have thought Idiocracy would turn out to be a documentary!?

Mapleshade Samson V.5 equipment rack, 4" maple platforms and brass vibration isolation, DH Labs 12ga Silver Sonic Power Plus dedicated power line, IsoTek Sirius EVO3 Power Conditioner, EtherREGEN, InSound Audio Ebony Cat8 Ethernet Cable, Linn Genki CD player (transport), Cary DMS-550 streamer/DAC, Linear Tube Audio Z10e amplifier, (For Sale:) Pass Labs HPA-1 amplifier, Meze Empyrian headphones, various Omega-Micro analog and digital interconnects and power cords. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have listened to some of the names listed on this thread but many do not do much for me...I tend to listen to Azam Ali and Lisa Gerrard.

I spend a lot of time listening to Radio Paradise and it seems lately they have been playing a lot of Sinead O'Connor and I have been pleasantly surprised...

That said, there a quite a few names I will have to investigate...

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

A few more suggestions:

- Joya Sherrill, discovered by Ellington - check out her album "Sings Duke" - she is accompanied by members of the Elllington band (Hodges, Nance, etc..). 

- Nancy Harrow. Her first album is great, with Buck Clayton, among others. Excellent swing session. Took a long break to raise here kids and came out in the 70s and 80s with a few more interesting albums

- Better known, and one of my favorites: Rosemary Clooney (George's aunt). Lots of albums to discover.