IGNORED

Article: Favorite Female Vocalists

The OP listens mostly to Jazz, but maybe doesn't prohibit other suggestions?

I never paid too much attention to Allison Kraus until I saw her on CMT Crossroads with Robert Plant; it is one of the better shows I've ever seen on television (the same can be said for five or six of CMT's other pairings).  Maybe I don't get out enough,  but her solo rendition of When the Levee Breaks and the duet of Black Dog is the best example of how understatement can be spectacular that I've ever heard.  Too bad neither are on the Raising Sand CD.  I only listen to Allison Kraus "some", but in my book she is one of the better talents in the business now - she is one of the few "younger" modern performers who can rely solely on talent rather than smoke and mirrors and flash.

My new favorite female vocalist was recommended to me by Pierre Sprey of Mapleshade: Kristin Andreassen.  She sings "well", plus her songwriting is really good too.  Some are songs are cute, some show a dry sense of humor (Readily available on TIDAL, at the least, start with My Crazy for humor, and Crayola Doesn't Make a Color for Your Eyes is quality music, and cute).  If you fall in love with her and like Americana/Bluegrass, she is in a group called Uncle Earl that isn't shabby either.

Speaking of smoke and mirrors and flash, I've never listened to Lady Gaga but I wonder if she has any recordings that showcase (only) vocal talent.  I was surprised a couple of years ago, maybe at the Super Bowl (before overpaid whining pro athletes made the sport dead to me), as her rendition of The Star Spangled Banner is probably the best I've ever heard.

Maybe we need another thread titled, "Who Knew He/She is Actually Great Singer!"  My first nomination would be Kid Rock...

Who would have thought Idiocracy would turn out to be a documentary!?

Mapleshade Samson V.5 equipment rack, 4" maple platforms and brass vibration isolation, DH Labs 12ga Silver Sonic Power Plus dedicated power line, IsoTek Sirius EVO3 Power Conditioner, EtherREGEN, InSound Audio Ebony Cat8 Ethernet Cable, Linn Genki CD player (transport), Cary DMS-550 streamer/DAC, Linear Tube Audio Z10e amplifier, (For Sale:) Pass Labs HPA-1 amplifier, Meze Empyrian headphones, various Omega-Micro analog and digital interconnects and power cords.