IGNORED

Hi-Res - Does it matter? Blind Test by Mark Waldrep

Ajax

1 minute ago, audiobomber said:

No coincidence. He is the chief designer and says Benchmark does 16/44 right, some others do not.

Yes. How surprising.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, sandyk said:

The files are X and Y , not A and B. Are you sure that you listened to the correct files ?.

No amount of Dither would have fixed FrederickV's  16.44.1 version. The distortion is way too obvious.

Yes, X and Y.  I was working with some other files yesterday that were A and B.  Y or the second one is the better sounding to me. As for dither fixing something or not well yeah, no dither can cause distortion.  Of course I don't know what was done to @FredericV files so maybe he can say. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

4 hours ago, sandyk said:

Most Audiophiles don't give a damn about Academic reports like this ...

If true, those people are fools.

Try using your OWN ears and report what YOU hear for a change, instead of bragging about idiotic rage fests.  And start your own damn threads.

OR try cutting the pills in half.

1 hour ago, esldude said:

Yes, X and Y.  I was working with some other files yesterday that were A and B.  Y or the second one is the better sounding to me. As for dither fixing something or not well yeah, no dither can cause distortion.  Of course I don't know what was done to @FredericV files so maybe he can say. 

Could you not judge by measuring both? 

41 minutes ago, Rexp said:

Could you not judge by measuring both? 

Yes, and I did. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

12 hours ago, sandyk said:

Most Audiophiles don't give a damn about Academic reports like this .They listen to music for enjoyment.

Yes, I did find it and have a quick look at it.

Try using your OWN ears and report what YOU hear for a change, instead of quoting or linking to boring Academic reports and textbooks . 

Science bashing again...

Note that John says nothing about hi res making it easier to do better filtering on both the ADC and DAC ends, while he also says (with no math support, as there cannot be) the filtering in his DACs obviates this advantage.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

13 hours ago, bobbmd said:

@autobomber: how conceited can one get(you deserve BrItex) I for one have a DAC that tells me by the color(or colours) of it's

'FLY' the bit depth(do you mean rate?) and frequency and I know what the colors(oh excuse me colours) actually mean /another DAC shows me white blue and green LEDs and I know WHAT they mean I also have 2 services that tell me rate /frequency of what is being streamed and what is being delivered by the DAC and even how the signal is broken down and I have an AUDIO MIDI that (sometimes) does the same

It's not rocket science and au contraire- most of US in this AUGUST body know how to check for HiRes 'content' if we care to and The Blind Test by Mr Waldrep is simply that--- IMHO it's all subjective if it sounds good/better one way or  another it's HiRes--- let him do/offer his test don't belittle him or us JUST ENJOY THE MUSIC because "those who who do not remember the past are condemned to relive it" ie mp3 cassettes 8 track am radio mono and even scratchy vinyl despite it's 'warmth'( i think santayana said that quote)

sorry i meant @audiobomber

13 hours ago, bobbmd said:

@autobomber: how conceited can one get(you deserve BrItex) I for one have a DAC that tells me by the color(or colours) of it's

'FLY' the bit depth(do you mean rate?) and frequency and I know what the colors(oh excuse me colours) actually mean /another DAC shows me white blue and green LEDs and I know WHAT they mean I also have 2 services that tell me rate /frequency of what is being streamed and what is being delivered by the DAC and even how the signal is broken down and I have an AUDIO MIDI that (sometimes) does the same

It's not rocket science and au contraire- most of US in this AUGUST body know how to check for HiRes 'content' if we care to and The Blind Test by Mr Waldrep is simply that--- IMHO it's all subjective if it sounds good/better one way or  another it's HiRes--- let him do/offer his test don't belittle him or us JUST ENJOY THE MUSIC because "those who who do not remember the past are condemned to relive it" ie mp3 cassettes 8 track am radio mono and even scratchy vinyl despite it's 'warmth'( i think santayana said that quote)

It seems you haven't quite understood the discussion. I assume that anyone with a DAC that can show sample rate and bit depth would know what signal the DAC is reading.

However, if you upsample 44/16 to 96/24, the DAC will show 96/24, even though there is only actual content within the 16/44 envelope. To see whether you are actually hearing a hi-rez file, you would need to view it using a Spectral Analysis program. 

I've read your post several times and still don't understand what some of it means. Try using normal punctuation, it would help. I was not belittling anyone.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

2 hours ago, bobbmd said:

@marce @sandyk don't y'all think what i said compared to what  @sandyk said in much gentler tone/kinder tone / can't we be more civil even if we don't agree AND it is still all subjective and we are all entitled to our opinions--tho i was a bit sarcastic!

Don't get it mate, one sentence regarding the regular science bashing, sorry mate but up to Chris or the OT to chastise me.

On 10/30/2019 at 4:26 PM, Ajax said:

Not sure what is going on but that quote was from Alex (@Sandyk) not from me? 

Hi Ajax,

I checked, but I don't see anything odd ?

The quotes I made are from your texts.

Maybe I don't understand ...

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

@audiobomber i fully understand the discussion i find the tone to be offensive and i will use any kind of punctuation i want just read it slowly and digest it i was quite clear you and a lot of other people are just smart ass bullies let mr waldrep have his his test be done  with it YOU belittled him(and the rest of us with some of your comments and that is just my opinion and i have every right to feel that way) don't bother to respond i am finished with this idiotic stuff and GET OVER IT

52 minutes ago, bobbmd said:

@audiobomber i fully understand the discussion i find the tone to be offensive and i will use any kind of punctuation i want just read it slowly and digest it i was quite clear you and a lot of other people are just smart ass bullies let mr waldrep have his his test be done  with it YOU belittled him(and the rest of us with some of your comments and that is just my opinion and i have every right to feel that way) don't bother to respond i am finished with this idiotic stuff and GET OVER IT

That is quite a lot to say in one sentence. 😬

I have no idea what you are referring to. I most certainly did not belittle Mr. Waldrep, nor have I any reason to do so. I like these kinds of tests and will participate with enthusiasm. In fact I signed up yesterday, just waiting for the files.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.