IGNORED

Hi-Res - Does it matter? Blind Test by Mark Waldrep

Ajax

38 minutes ago, Miska said:

Ehh?

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=18296

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

7 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Your outrage is ironic considering that the Academic Report in question supports your opinion.

There is no substitute for actual listening. You should try it for a change and report your results in the forum.

Did you even bother to check out FrederickV's  X and Y files  when they were originally posted ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

2 minutes ago, Jud said:

I'm still missing the context how that is related to Mark claiming something about filtering? Apart from pondering about rate conversions and filtering inherent to those processes (not explicitly mentioned).

I cannot see anything like that here: http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=6197

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I don't think any testing we (or Mark Waldrep) would do would amount to the total of the meta-analysis:

"Eighteen published experiments for which sufficient data could be obtained were included, providing a meta-analysis that combined over 400 participants in more than 12,500 trials."

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

@autobomber: how conceited can one get(you deserve BrItex) I for one have a DAC that tells me by the color(or colours) of it's

'FLY' the bit depth(do you mean rate?) and frequency and I know what the colors(oh excuse me colours) actually mean /another DAC shows me white blue and green LEDs and I know WHAT they mean I also have 2 services that tell me rate /frequency of what is being streamed and what is being delivered by the DAC and even how the signal is broken down and I have an AUDIO MIDI that (sometimes) does the same

It's not rocket science and au contraire- most of US in this AUGUST body know how to check for HiRes 'content' if we care to and The Blind Test by Mr Waldrep is simply that--- IMHO it's all subjective if it sounds good/better one way or  another it's HiRes--- let him do/offer his test don't belittle him or us JUST ENJOY THE MUSIC because "those who who do not remember the past are condemned to relive it" ie mp3 cassettes 8 track am radio mono and even scratchy vinyl despite it's 'warmth'( i think santayana said that quote)

10 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

I listened to both files but I am at a loss on how to factor out the deterioration that occurred when they were transmitted over the Internet.

It's exactly the same factor that caused the deterioration of the 16/44.1 version that people like yourself refuse to accept.

I gather from this that you were not able to hear the obvious distortion right from the start of the converted version.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

The interesting thing to me about the statement @kumakuma quoted from the meta-analysis is the remark about training. This would indicate there are identifiers of "hi-res sound" that people can be trained to recognize.

However, I haven't read through the meta-analysis, much less the subsidiary experiments involving training.

5 minutes ago, sandyk said:

It's exactly the same factor that caused the deterioration of the 16/44.1 version that people like yourself refuse to accept.

I gather from this that you were not able to hear the obvious distortion right from the start of the converted version.

How do you know that both files were affected in the same way?

For example, they may have been stored on different servers, one with clean power and the other with dirty power.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

This would indicate there are identifiers of "hi-res sound" that people can be trained to recognize.

Hi Jud  

Did you need any training to recognise the improvement when listening to DSD for example ?

IIRC, your speakers also have adequate bandwidth to do justice to most high res recordings.

Kind Regards

Alex

17 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

For example, they may have been stored on different servers, one with clean power and the other with dirty power.

Now you are grabbing at straws because we both know that you don't believe that this could possibly make any difference.

So what differences (if any) did you honestly  hear between FrederickV's  X and Y files ?

He has already stated that most participants actually preferred the 16/44.1 version after conversion to the high res format again.

I have nothing further to say to you on this subject that hasn't already been said to YOU on  numerous occasions already.

5 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Now you are grabbing at straws because we both know that you don't believe that this could possibly make any difference.

So what differences (if any) did you honestly  hear between FrederickV's  X and Y files ?

He has already stated that most participants actually preferred the 16/44.1 version after conversion to the high res format again.

I have nothing further to say to you on this subject that hasn't already been said to YOU on  numerous occasions already.

Of course I don't believe any of the Internet Transmission Deterioration nonsense.

I also don't believe what you believe I believe when it comes to high resolution files.

4 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Of course I don't believe any of the Internet Transmission Deterioration nonsense.

I also don't believe what you believe I believe when it comes to high resolution files.

So what differences (if any) did you honestly  hear between FrederickV's  X and Y files , and if so, which version did you prefer?

7 minutes ago, sandyk said:

So what differences (if any) did you honestly  hear between FrederickV's  X and Y files , and if so, which version did you prefer?

I'll let you know.

11 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

I'll let you know.

Let the forum know, not me. This suggests that you didn't listen to them originally as you said, or you would have had some opinion.

You now already know from others posts including the Spectrum Analysis that I posted which file was which anyway, just like Dennis does..

15 minutes ago, esldude said:

Gives me a business idea.  Audiophile VPN.  We host verified digital files made with all clean linear power supplies and give you a VPN connection to your home with least degradation.  

Come on then Dennis., which of the X and Y files that FrederickV posted did YOU prefer and why ?

9 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Let the forum know, not me. This suggests that you didn't listen to them originally as you said, or you would have had some opinion.

You now already know from others posts including the Spectrum Analysis that I posted which file was which anyway, just like Dennis does..

I didn't really look at that post so I don't know which is which.

24 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Come on then Dennis., which of the X and Y files that FrederickV posted did YOU prefer and why ?

Before any analysis listening only I thought B was the better file. I suspect however after some analysis that A may have been resampled without dither.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

3 hours ago, Miska said:

Ehm, what claim is that and where? What I've read this is purely yet another RedBook vs HiRes test. I've lost count how many there have been before.

Sorry, I can't find the reference. I read it in the HD Audio site somewhere. Paraphrasing, John Siau stated  there's no need for high res if 16/44.1 is done right (as in the Benchmark DAC3)

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

9 minutes ago, esldude said:

Before any analysis listening only I thought B was the better file. I suspect however after some analysis that A may have been resampled without dither.

The files are X and Y , not A and B. Are you sure that you listened to the correct files ?.

No amount of Dither would have fixed FrederickV's  16.44.1 version. The distortion is way too obvious.

1 hour ago, audiobomber said:

Sorry, I can't find the reference. I read it in the HD Audio site somewhere. Paraphrasing, John Siau stated  there's no need for high res if 16/44.1 is done right (as in the Benchmark DAC3)

Which, by sheer coincidence, is sold by the company he represents.

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

Which, by sheer coincidence, is sold by the company he represents.

No coincidence. He is the chief designer and says Benchmark does 16/44 right, some others do not.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC.