IGNORED

Hi-Res - Does it matter? Blind Test by Mark Waldrep

Ajax

6 hours ago, Confused said:

I am also a little puzzled by Mark's categories for speakers:

5) Speakers - Professional Studio Monitors | Audiophile - Electrostatic Audiophile - with super tweeter | Audiophile - 2 or 3 way Audiophile with Subwoofer | Audiophile with super tweeter and subwoofer | Other (Please specify in system details) | Didn't use speakers

Fair enough, but 2 way or 3 way without subwoofer seems like a key omission to me.  It is hardly a radical or unusual selection?

A significant omission to be sure. Fortunately I have 2-way system with subs, so I don't have the dilemma. 😉

Where did you see this questionnaire? 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

36 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

A significant omission to be sure. Fortunately I have 2-way system with subs, so I don't have the dilemma. 😉

Where did you see this questionnaire? 

It was included in the text of his recent "round robin" email shot.  Actually, looking at this again the selection is fine I think, it just needs a touch of punctuation, then it reads as follows:

5) Speakers - Professional Studio Monitors, Audiophile - Electrostatic Audiophile, with super tweeter, Audiophile - 2 or 3 way, Audiophile with Subwoofer, Audiophile with super tweeter and subwoofer, Other (Please specify in system details) | Didn't use speakers

I am sure the actual questionnaire will be correctly formatted and be fine. 

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

2 minutes ago, Confused said:

It was included in the text of his recent "round robin" email shot. 

I signed up for HD Challenge notifications, but didn't get this email. I'm tiring of the admin issues, I registered three times and got nowhere, won't make any more effort to pursue this.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

38 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

I signed up for HD Challenge notifications, but didn't get this email. I'm tiring of the admin issues, I registered three times and got nowhere, won't make any more effort to pursue this.

The "round robin" email I mentioned is the newsletter that you get if you sign up to the HD Audio website, so not directly related to the "Hi res" audio challenge.  Also, I have just received a new link to the Dropbox downloads, this one works, so it looks like the issues are getting sorted now.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

I'm a bit surprised to see that thread going on. 

There's strictly no reason why the same filter (in HQP in my case), or DAC, functions equally well @ 44 96 or 192. So any test is flawed to start with. Only thing that matters is how a 24/96 as delivered to the artist (per today recommendations) sounds compared to the 16/44 offer on each and everyone's system. 

2 hours ago, Miska said:

There are pdp-11 systems running RSX still operational today, doing critical tasks. Very few other systems have stood time as well as those ones...

Anybody still remembers RL02 disks? Probably one of the very first HDD's with swappable disks.

Gotta also love pdp-11's printer terminal... :D

Yes, indeed! I had four drives supporting the lab. Stacks of RL02's everywhere...fun waiting for them to spin up and down for exchanges. First we ran RT11 and then shifted to the original BSD with real-time capability built into the kernel.

1 hour ago, Confused said:

The "round robin" email I mentioned is the newsletter that you get if you sign up to the HD Audio website, so not directly related to the "Hi res" audio challenge.  Also, I have just received a new link to the Dropbox downloads, this one works, so it looks like the issues are getting sorted now.

I've successfully downloaded the files. No instructions though.

4 hours ago, Miska said:

There are pdp-11 systems running RSX still operational today, doing critical tasks. Very few other systems have stood time as well as those ones...

Anybody still remembers RL02 disks? Probably one of the very first HDD's with swappable disks.

Yeah I worked with those up until the late 1990s. My employer then sold them for $3000 each for some gas company using them for billing.  They had the printer terminal which used reams of paper. They had the add on Quantuum drives.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

7 minutes ago, Speedskater said:

Gee, I haven't seen one of those in over 3 decades. That's impressive.

Last time I saw a PDP series was college FORTRAN class in 1976. :) 

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

42 minutes ago, Jud said:

The last machine that I saw running FORTRAN was an IBM 1620. The 1620 was famous for not having any addition circuitry. Instead, it used addition tables in memory. Many therefore referred to it as the CADET, for Can't Add Doesn't Even Try. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

7 hours ago, Miska said:

Actully, we had RL01/RL02s, and actually I believe that RK05s came before RL01s.

RSX11Mplus is/was actually a really cool, hyper efficient OS.   I'd give my eye teeth for the source of RSX11D/IAS though -- I don' tthink that it was ever released.   'D' was a fatter 'M', but Mplus almost caught up.   I liked the idea that I/O drivers are almost like programs on RSX11D.  That scheme isn't as efficient as the actual drivers used in 'M', but the 'M' driver abstraction was more limiting.

(I used to really enjoy studying OS source code to understand how the 'competion' did things.)  Working at Bell Labs gave me access to a lot of stuff like source codes (not so much on the DEC stuff, but I already had studied those OSes while using them.)

John

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Nowadays, you can boot TOPS-10, TOPS-20, Tenex, RSX11M, Mplus, IAS, RSTS, and a lot of old OSes on your PC today.  VMS is a bit more of a problem because of the built-in licensing.  Some people are even running Multics!!!  It is really cool to have a computer that is probably 100X faster than the fastest DEC-10, of course doing nothing  useful writing Algol or BLISS programs 🙂

3 minutes ago, jabbr said:

;)

I once wrote a peephole optimizer for the VAX LISP compiler ... in FORTRAN 😂😂😂

It is amazing what people sometimes had to do in fortran...  I had to do similar kinds of things also -- it was always Fortran.  I did try to use Pascal for one such project  -- it was garbage, because the compiller was a true Pascal compiler...  Evil thing.   Pascal is one of those languages that it is nice to have additional features...

john

7 minutes ago, John Dyson said:

It is amazing what people sometimes had to do in fortran...  I had to do similar kinds of things also -- it was always Fortran.  I did try to use Pascal for one such project  -- it was garbage, because the compiller was a true Pascal compiler...  Evil thing.   Pascal is one of those languages that it is nice to have additional features...

On one track, once Pascal developed into Turbo Pascal which developed into Delphi, it is pretty great.

On another track, once Pascal developed into Modula/2, and then Oberon and finally into Ada, it is also great.

But I do my things in C++11, C and assembly... For practical reasons, not beauty. (for the math stuff I could as well use Fortran, but I don't)

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

7 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

I'm a bit surprised to see that thread going on. 

There's strictly no reason why the same filter (in HQP in my case), or DAC, functions equally well @ 44 96 or 192. So any test is flawed to start with. Only thing that matters is how a 24/96 as delivered to the artist (per today recommendations) sounds compared to the 16/44 offer on each and everyone's system. 

You lost me there, do 24/96 files sound the same as their 16/44 version to you, depending what filter you use in HQP? 

Dual post

90% of this thread is off topic. Go away!

Hi-Res - Does it matter? Blind Test by Mark Waldrep

Hi-Res does matter to me as for whatever reason I enjoy music more in DSD and Hi-Res PCM over standard resolution (16/44.1).

Also I think Mark Waldrep is very brave in offering this test since his business (AIX records) sells only 24/96 DVD-Audios and 24/96 Blu-Rays.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

43 minutes ago, Teresa said:

Hi-Res does matter to me as for whatever reason I enjoy music more in DSD and Hi-Res PCM over standard resolution (16/44.1).

Also I think Mark Waldrep is very brave in offering this test since his business (AIX records) sells only 24/96 DVD-Audios and 24/96 Blu-Rays.

Or very canny.. 

11 hours ago, Allan F said:

The last machine that I saw running FORTRAN was an IBM 1620. The 1620 was famous for not having any addition circuitry. Instead, it used addition tables in memory. Many therefore referred to it as the CADET, for Can't Add Doesn't Even Try. :)

The last machine I saw running FORTRAN was the HLRE-3 Mistral supercomputer at the German Climate Computing Center in Hamburg. Almost all climate modelling is partially or fully FORTRAN and these codebases have been maintained and expanded over many generations and architectures of compute.

Now back to topic ;)