IGNORED

Hi-Res - Does it matter? Blind Test by Mark Waldrep

Ajax

1 hour ago, Confused said:

I signed up, but have not received the files.  Is it just me? 😕

I signed up twice, via two different pages, almost two weeks ago. No files so far. I'll try once more. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

14 hours ago, Allan F said:

Would you care to share what evidence you have to support your contention that "chip manufacturers never could give a good reason why they included DSD"? I strongly suspect that you are presenting your opinion as fact.

Allan I asked about DSD when I was researching MQA. I have regular contact with people in the top ten semiconductor companies in the United States. And less regular contact with others. My mentor (and client) worked for two of them. ESS was very helpful about MQA and other formats.

6 hours ago, mansr said:

Many DAC chips likely support DSD because there's sufficient demand for the feature that the relatively small effort needed is worthwhile. These days, they probably simply paste in their existing DSD handling block with minimal tweaking for each new chip.

I was under the impression chips with sigma-delta modulation, which may produce DSD or other formats, originally took over from chips without because the chips with SDM enabled the total package, including hardware, to be less expensive.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

12 hours ago, Jud said:

I know that's what you were talking about. But I asked a different question. How many of Spotify's genres (and which) would be unhealthy and failing by your definition?

Going back to my original vaporware post you would have to say jazz, classical reggae, new age, world and children's aren't doing too well. If you aren't up there with stage and screen at just under 3% of the US Market in 2018 can you say things are OK?

37 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Going back to my original vaporware post you would have to say jazz, classical reggae, new age, world and children's aren't doing too well. If you aren't up there with stage and screen at just under 3% of the US Market in 2018 can you say things are OK?

What's the percentage for stage and screen if you eliminate the Frozen soundtrack? 😉 (Not asking seriously.)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

39 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

I think classical will probably be OK for the time being. It hums along without anyone expecting breakout hits.

I wonder about the jazz demographic.

I meet a surprising number of people into New Age type music (this is northern New Mexico), but I’m hearing far less Michael Hedges type greatness and way too much “easy listening.” For me personally not much of it is worthwhile, but perhaps there is enough of a niche market to keep it going.

Reggae I’m afraid has seen its peak. Too bad, because I like it.

World (of which I think reggae is a part) will probably do all right. Lots of exciting artists getting popular in faraway places (Europe more than here).

5 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Today, of course, there are cheap op amps that could do the job easily (Like the TI LME47910, for instance with it’s 2 nV/root-Hertz of self noise). But in the 1980s when I owned the B&O stereo mike, a transformer was de riguer.

Hi George

I presume that you meant the LME49710 ?

The HA (metal can) version is even better, and I use a couple of them in my DIY DAC

Kind Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

26 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Hi George

I presume that you meant the LME49710 ?

The HA (metal can) version is even better, and I use a couple of them in my DIY DAC

Kind Regards

Alex

Yes, I did mean the LME49710. Typos happen. And I agree about the HA variant. It seems to be even quieter than the DIP version (!!??). I suspect that the metal moves heat away from the chip better than does the encapsulating plastic of the DIP.

George

5 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Agreed. I once had a B&O (Bang & Olufsen) stereo ribbon mike. Two figure-of-eight mike units were stacked, one atop the other and the top one could turn, right to left with regard to the bottom one. The mike was gorgeous satin chrome and it came in a beautiful, padded rosewood case with gold lettering. Aside from the fact that at the time, I couldn’t find a mike preamp that was quiet enough to give a decent S/N, and that the top end only went to about 13,500 Hz, recordings made with it sounded marvelous in spite of the noise! I finally sold it due to my inability to find a suitable mike amp (one of life’s little regrets). The mike was designed to be used with a B&O stereo tape deck which contained a pair of proprietary transformers to boost the minuscule ribbon output to a level where it could be electronically amplified without the amp needing 70 to 80 dB of gain! The transformers were not available separately! Today, of course, there are cheap op amps that could do the job easily (Like the TI LME47910, for instance with it’s 2 nV/root-Hertz of self noise). But in the 1980s when I owned the B&O stereo mike, a transformer was de riguer.

Ever think that maybe ribbons with a slower transient response are providing a beneficial limiting upon the rate of change in a digitally sampled system?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

39 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Yes, I did mean the LME49710. Typos happen. And I agree about the HA variant. It seems to be even quieter than the DIP version (!!??). I suspect that the metal moves heat away from the chip better than does the encapsulating plastic of the DIP.

Hi George

I have suggested the same previously. In fact, with the HA version it felt warm enough that I even fitted a push on heatsink to mine with the LME49720HA and decided to do the same here with the single version.

Kind Regards

Alex

SC DAC -Modified Output PCB.jpg

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

3 hours ago, Allan F said:

Are you seriously asking us to believe that you asked chip manufacturers whey they included DSD and they couldn't give you a reason? And if you insist that was the case, then surely you spoke to the wrong people at those companies. :)

I don't consider it is a check the box feature to be reason. But this happens a lot look the stickers on a receiver.

5 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

I really don’t understand your use of the term “vaporware”. In the computer world, vaporware is a product that developers/manufacturers keep promising to bring to market, but never do. If I’m not wrong, you are using the term to mean a product that doesn’t perform to it’s makers’ promises. Is that right?

George

7 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

I really don’t understand your use of the term “vaporware”. In the computer world, vaporware is a product that developers/manufacturers keep promising to bring to market, but never do. If I’m not wrong, you are using the term to mean a product that doesn’t perform to it’s makers’ promises. Is that right?

Until Tidal started streaming MQA, vapourware was an appropriate term. A handful of demo tracks does not a product make.

13 hours ago, mansr said:

These days, they probably simply paste in their existing DSD handling block with minimal tweaking for each new chip.

Looking how couple of recent AKM chip generations behave, that is not the case...

For me, the more interesting part are all the different discrete designs though.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

1 hour ago, gmgraves said:

I'm using it in its original use in software. The reference is to Xenix. This was discussed in the Vaporware thread.

8 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Nor does a few thousand tracks make a product.

No, but it’s not like it DOESN’T Exist, though. I have Tidal, and I look for the “M” after new titles when they are released every Thursday. What bothers me about MQA, is that while Tidal’s software tells you that you are playing an MQA title, what I don’t see any indication of what is the actual bit depth and sampling rate of the selection to which you are listening. Same is true with the AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt the dragonfly logo glows purple when a MQA file is encountered, but again, is it 16 or 24 bit? 48 KHz? 88.2 KHz,? 96 KHz? There is nothing to tell you to what you are actually listening!

George

15 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

No, but it’s not like it DOESN’T Exist, though. I have Tidal, and I look for the “M” after new titles when they are released every Thursday. What bothers me about MQA, is that while Tidal’s software tells you that you are playing an MQA title, what I don’t see any indication of what is the actual bit depth and sampling rate of the selection to which you are listening. Same is true with the AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt the dragonfly logo glows purple when a MQA file is encountered, but again, is it 16 or 24 bit? 48 KHz? 88.2 KHz,? 96 KHz? There is nothing to tell you to what you are actually listening!

When Xenix was declared vaporware its market share actually went up a little. So it existed but was like selling smoke.

Part of the beauty of MQA is amount of 16/44.1 files processed.