IGNORED

Hi-Res - Does it matter? Blind Test by Mark Waldrep

Ajax

49 minutes ago, mansr said:

The duration is unimportant. The frequency content is determined by the rise and fall times. It starts at zero and extends higher the steeper the slopes are. There will thus be some audible frequencies also in a very short pulse.

Right. So the question is, granting there is an upper frequency limit to human hearing of tones, (for younger women perhaps near 20k, for me around 16k a couple of years ago if the online test I did at that time is to be trusted), do we experience a transient that includes some inaudible frequencies any differently than a transient containing all the same audible frequencies?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

5 hours ago, Jud said:

So the question is, granting there is an upper frequency limit to human hearing of tones...do we experience a transient that includes some inaudible frequencies any differently than a transient containing all the same audible frequencies?

When you say "experience", you mean "hear" right?  If not, what do you mean?

The question seems to be asking if there the widely recognized limit's on hearing are "broken" or "different" if you take a tone (by which I think you and Miska mean a rise and fall) and only look at a rise (Miska refers to a 'wavelet').

Also, @esldudeposted some measurements on some thread (can't remember which one) where he looked for a "transient" or 'rapid rise'  of the usual suspects (a drum and a brass instrument if memory serves).  He could find none if I recall correctly.

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

15 minutes ago, Jud said:

which may get into whether different neurons are involved in assessing the sharpness of transients vs. ascertaining pitch of tones.

By the way: I'm aware of research showing extreme neuronal specialization with regard to vision: not just some neurons specialized for color and others for motion, but down to the level of some neurons being stimulated by motion in a horizontal plane, others in a vertical plane; others by stationary objects in the visual field lying mainly in the horizontal plane, yet others by stationary objects lying mainly in the vertical plane.

I don't know if there are indications one way or the other regarding specialization or lack thereof of neurons involved in processing auditory stimuli. If anyone knows of good papers in peer-reviewed journals, references would be appreciated.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, jabbr said:

Ok the point is that ultrasonics modulate sound. When you remove ultrasonics, this modulation is also removed. The overall perception is altered. 

You are probably going to argue that we could apply an equalization filter to the audio to reproduce the perceived sound, except that this modulation differs from person to person and is not guaranteed to be constant over time. You could try to encode the modulation ... then you’d be doing something like MP3... alternatively you could simply record and distribute the full range audio including ultrasonics.

The examples of ultrasonic effects are either via bone conduction or focused ultrasonics.  Neither are comparable to just listening to wide band music via air conduction.  

So ultrasonics in recordings in my opinion matter somewhere from very, very little to effectively not at all.  If you think they matter, then record to 88 or 96 khz.  You are covered. This also happens to Mark Waldrep's opinion which he apparently now doubts.  Thinking maybe going beyond 48 khz is meaningless or close to it. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Absolutely correct, esldude.  But I am with Jabbr as to keeping HiRes as HiRes - we don't know where that frequency is exactly, and it is prudent to maintain anything that might be there assuming no over-weaning costs or trouble to do so.

And I am keeping my HiRes salt too!  If nothing else, it can be sprinkled on trolls.

27 minutes ago, Jud said:

By the way: I'm aware of research showing extreme neuronal specialization with regard to vision: not just some neurons specialized for color and others for motion, but down to the level of some neurons being stimulated by motion in a horizontal plane, others in a vertical plane; others by stationary objects in the visual field lying mainly in the horizontal plane, yet others by stationary objects lying mainly in the vertical plane.

There is the idea of the proverbial “grandmother” neuron which fires when you see your grandmother. The existence of face recognition neurons in the IT cortex is very well known. The essay “The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat” was written about a person who had a stroke in this area.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

18 hours ago, jabbr said:

No. First of all I think that the wavelet model that @Miska mentioned more closely responds to the cochlea that the FFT model. I'm not convinced one way or another but erring on the side of caution prefer music in as high a resolution as was recorded/available. Also design equipment to handle above 20kHz ... that isn't difficult ... high-res audio isn't gigaHz. Really I'm just saying that CD Redbook is an assumption.

I have been capturing in DSD for over a decade, now, for that very reason. I rarely listen in DSD except on my computer. Ironically, except for my Oppo 205 (the analog output of which is not connected to my amplifier), my main system’s DACs do not support it. No biggie though; If I make copies for anyone (usually the group members, or the orchestra association for the use of the conductor as a “study CD”), I give them Redbook transfers from the master. I also make hi-res LPCM transfers for myself (or my clients, if they wish) which I copy to my NAS for listening on my main system.

George

2 hours ago, gmgraves said:

I have been capturing in DSD for over a decade, now, for that very reason. I rarely listen in DSD except on my computer. Ironically, except for my Oppo 205 (the analog output of which is not connected to my amplifier), my main system’s DACs do not support it. No biggie though; If I make copies for anyone (usually the group members, or the orchestra association for the use of the conductor as a “study CD”), I give them Redbook transfers from the master. I also make hi-res LPCM transfers for myself (or my clients, if they wish) which I copy to my NAS for listening on my main system.

I think I have only three DACs that don't support DSD. All the rest do support DSD, even up to DSD1024...

When I buy content I prefer to buy it in the original recording format, not some conversion.

I very rarely send LPCM to a DAC though.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

5 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes, quite a lot of people care about hires (PCM and DSD). All the time new material coming, to nativedsd.com, highresaudio.com and even HDtracks. Nowadays more are more at DSD256 rates. 

I have two DSD256 capable AD/DA converters (RME ADI-2 Pro) and my own recording software. But of course many of the recordings are made using Merging, TASCAM, Korg or Mytek hardware and edited in Pyramix or Sonoma. Now Merging has three DSD256 capable recording devices (Horus, Hapi and Anubis). All those can do also playback, in addition to their NADAC.

NativeDSD, Highresaudio and HDTracks are three of the 10 sites I looked at to make the case nobody cares.

In my case I use DSD as a sound effect on a few harmonicas and some older resonator guitars. I like to fiddle with things, some say too much.

12 minutes ago, Miska said:

Like Sennheiser MKH-8020 for example that goes to 60 kHz? Or the DPA microphones like 4006 and especially 4007 that go to 40+ kHz? Or Sanken CO-100K that goes to 100 kHz, used for example by Five Four?

What I've looked, for example in recordings made by 2L, content goes up to about 60 kHz. So you need at least 120 kHz sampling rate for those.

Those are the ones, alright! I was unaware of the Sennheiser, but the DPA and the Sanken mics I was aware of!

2L is a Swedish audiophile label, and I have a couple of their Blu-Ray releases. If you want to capture the 60 KHz on them, you do definitely need at least a 120 KHz sampling rate (likely either 176.4 or 192 KHz), but I seriously question why. BTW, I doubt seriously (in fact , I know) that you won’t find the mikes you just mentioned being used on a regular basis at MCA, Warner, EMI, TelDec, or DGG!

George

13 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

2L is a Swedish audiophile label, and I have a couple of their Blu-Ray releases. If you want to capture the 60 KHz on them, you do definitely need at least a 120 KHz sampling rate (likely either 176.4 or 192 KHz), but I seriously question why. BTW, I doubt seriously (in fact , I know) that you won’t find the mikes you just mentioned being used on a regular basis at MCA, Warner, EMI, TelDec, or DGG!

I know both especially the DPA but also the Sennheisers being used for lot of classical recordings by different labels. Especially if you look at 5.1 channel Decca-trees or similar suspended from concert hall ceilings. Like here in Helsinki. DPA used to have 130V phantom versions of 4006 etc, and especially those are used in high quality recordings. Many still have the original versions under B&K brand, before DPA split.

When I'm looking at for example HiFi-News reviews of recent hires recordings, many of the 96k tracks, or even most, have content reaching the 48k Nyquist.

If someone is making hires releases, it only makes sense to invest into hires capable microphones as well.

P.S. 2L is Norwegian, not Swedish... ;)

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

12 minutes ago, Miska said:

I think I have only three DACs that don't support DSD. All the rest do support DSD, even up to DSD1024...

When I buy content I prefer to buy it in the original recording format, not some conversion.

I very rarely send LPCM to a DAC though.

My DAC in my main system is a Yiggdrasil, it doesn’t do DSD. Like I said, while my    Oppo UDP-205 with it’s high-end ESS SabreDACs, does do DSD (well, it does SACD, anyway. I’ve never tried it for DSD files), I don’t have the audio output of the Oppo connected to my amplifier system. Right now, I am using an AudioQuest Cobalt in my office system, AFAICS, it does not support DSD, but the Chord Quetest that I have on loan does, and I have used it to listen to my DSD master files. Without that, I have to rely on my Kong MR-2000s or MR-1 to play them back!

George