IGNORED

Hi-Res - Does it matter? Blind Test by Mark Waldrep

Ajax

3 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Now it is possible to optimize one’s system for vinyl playback because there are so many variables. There’s the ‘table itself, the arm, the cartridge, the phono preamp, all of these affect playback quality, but with digital, you really only have the DAC and will not just affect playback of Hi-Res material, but of standard resolution material as well. You can’t separate the two. It’s like trying to optimize your phonograph set-up for 45 RPM LPs over 33.3 RPM LPs. The same equipment plays both and there is simply nothing you can do to make your system favor one over the other.

As we seem to be caught in a circular argument, there is no need to respond, Frank. I have nothing more to say on the subject, and you just seem to be restating your position, and I simply do not buy your conclusions. See you in another thread!

For someone who has played with electronics, George, you don't seem to have much insight as to what's going on 😉 ...you see, a DAC is a machine, just like a TT is a machine - and everyone who plays with machines knows that a particular beast will just do a better job with some 'materials', input for a myriad number of perhaps subtle reasons. Including making 45 RPM sound better than 33.3 RPM - didn't you know there is a whole mini industry doing special issues of 45's versions of 33 RPM material - because they "sound better", 😉.

It appears that you have a belief that digital audio, and DACs, are some type of impenetrable "magic" - not for mortal men to try and fathom the dark secrets within ... well, I don't have time for sort of thinking; a $100,000 DAC in a rig that makes it sound like crap is a piece of crap - and should be thrown in the bin if you "can't fix it". There are always subtleties that can make or break kit - my interest is in understanding why this occurs, in each particular instance.

12 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thanks for the correction. RMAF of course :~)

Very interesting topic.

Note to self, stop neurotic audiophiles form purposely damaging hearing in order to pass blind high resolution test. 

🙂

Looks like you've been to a few too many audiophile shows Chris...

As per other aspects of human cognition and perception, once we start looking at the extremes, deviating from the "neurotypical", we are bound to find a few cases here and there of remarkable abilities.

I suspect most of us would not necessarily desire to have such abilities if there is a price to pay like being able to enjoy the music and experience how it was meant to be heard! YMMV.

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Blokes spend too much time 'analysing' what to listen to - females who couldn't give a damn about the audiophile game, casually listening, are usually spot on; when it's 'off' they're quickly bored, and move on; when it's 'right', they hang around, and ask for other stuff to be played ...

8 hours ago, Archimago said:

🙂

Looks like you've been to a few too many audiophile shows Chris...

As per other aspects of human cognition and perception, once we start looking at the extremes, deviating from the "neurotypical", we are bound to find a few cases here and there of remarkable abilities.

I suspect most of us would not necessarily desire to have such abilities if there is a price to pay like being able to enjoy the music and experience how it was meant to be heard! YMMV.

It's a bit like wine, if you enjoy plonk, good for you, its much cheaper than a good Bordeaux, but please know you are not a connoisseur and are missing out big time and you're not qualified to advise others. 

2 hours ago, Rexp said:

It's a bit like wine, if you enjoy plonk, good for you, its much cheaper than a good Bordeaux, but please know you are not a connoisseur and are missing out big time and you're not qualified to advise others. 

Or as I would say if you can’t tell me why  the former lead singer of the band Tool and Highway 47 are important in the wine world you are Just a wine snob. And unqualified.

43 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

Or as I would say if you can’t tell me why  the former lead singer of the band Tool and Highway 47 are important in the wine world you are Just a wine snob. And unqualified.

A connoisseur is an expert in matters of taste, and a wine snob presumably buys wine on the basis of the label or cost, not sure your point? 

8 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

it may not be the impurities but the grain size for salts

mea culpa, I have 3 different kinds of salt + regular salt for cooking....

I concur, I have different grain sizes, for a salt and pepper steak or chicken I use large grains and larger lumps of pepper, you get a stronger hit of each as you encounter a piece, whereas finely ground pepper and salt gives you an overall salty/peppery taste. Depends on the dish and the taste experience you want.

A good example of expectation bias, was people being given cheese and onion in a salt and vinegar packet, they all got the flavour wrong!

1 hour ago, marce said:

I concur, I have different grain sizes, for a salt and pepper steak or chicken I use large grains and larger lumps of pepper, you get a stronger hit of each as you encounter a piece, whereas finely ground pepper and salt gives you an overall salty/peppery taste. Depends on the dish and the taste experience you want.

A good example of expectation bias, was people being given cheese and onion in a salt and vinegar packet, they all got the flavour wrong!

So you're an expert in the taste of salt? I mean in comparison to the average Joe who could care less? 

1 hour ago, marce said:

Which brand? If it was the boring Walkers, I'm not surprised. There's hardly any correlation between the flavour name and the actual ingredients.

My apologies for the on topic post here, but has this "Hi-res" test actually started yet?  I signed up a while ago, but heard nothing since.  Has the test not started or have I missed something?

I notice that most posters in this thread have very established views, but I am interested in trying the test myself, if only for my own interest in what I can discern with my own ears in my own system.

I much prefer New World wines to a French Bordeaux by the way, but that's just me.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

3 hours ago, jabbr said:

It has been reported in the literature that ultrasonics can affect tinnitus. This is by definition a non-linear effect ie the ultrasonics are not directly heard, rather modulate the hearing system. 

The reason this is so important is that it provides a clear cut mechanism for the audibility of ultrasonics — not that you can hear, for example, a 30 kHz tone, rather that the full range sound of a cymbal might sound different than the 20 kHz stopband filtered recording of this cymbal. 

There are many people who are certain that Redbook CD contains all that we can possibly hear because of something they read about concerning the cochlea. The fact that ultrasonics modulate hearing means this belief is not grounded in certainty. 

Wasn't this only at very high sound levels where the ultrasound was making the air non linear?

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.