The Computer Audiophile

LattePanda Alpha Just Arrived!

Rate this topic

44 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

It can run Windows, Linux, Android, and macOS (hack). 

Tons of cool features. 

How are you thinking use this for audio? As a mini Roon server? I haven't read the features tbh.

Forrest:

Win10 i7 3770k HQPlayer>Win10 NAA

DSD512>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Just now, The Computer Audiophile said:

I’m going to try it as a little bit of everything. 

LOL, ask a stupid question...  :)

Forrest:

Win10 i7 3770k HQPlayer>Win10 NAA

DSD512>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

GPIO

does it have GPIB??

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

3 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

I don't see any hard points to mount missiles on

"The overwhelming majority [of audiophiles] have very little knowledge, if any, about the most basic principles and operating characteristics of audio equipment. They often base their purchasing decisions on hearsay, and the preaching of media sages. Unfortunately, because of commercial considerations, much information is rooted in increasing revenue, not in assisting the audiophile. It seems as if the only requirements for becoming an "authority" in the world of audio is a keyboard."

-- Bruce Rozenblit of Transcendent Sound

6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Certainly. 

Thanks. Could you please elaborate on the use of the streaming cable? Read information on website but still don't understand!!!

40 minutes ago, chauphuong said:

Thanks. Could you please elaborate on the use of the streaming cable? Read information on website but still don't understand!!!

Yes. I have it in my hotel room right now. 

when I have a minute tonight I’ll go into detail. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

3 hours ago, chauphuong said:

Ok, here's the deal with the streaming cable

It isn't needed, but may be really nice under certain circumstances.

Right now I have Windows 10 Pro installed on the 64GB eMMC. I can use the streaming cable to connect directly from my laptop to the Alpha, and pull up an RDP remote desktop session. This cable has 5GB of bandwidth. But, the cable just acts as another network interface on both host and remote devices. Once connected, I just launch remote desktop and connect to the IP of the streaming cable. 

I can also just use an Ethernet cable connected to my laptop and the Alpha's Ethernet port and do the same thing. 

The streaming cable is much more handy for other operating systems in that one can connect it and use software to run remote sessions. It's essentially another network card with direct connection and possibly some other benefits that I've yet to discover. 

OK you've got my interest!  The m3-8100Y CPU has a really good single thread performance and only 2 amps / 10 watts max!

Could the streaming cable for LattePanda be used for endpoint/server functionality?

7 minutes ago, Gavin1977 said:

OK you've got my interest!  The m3-8100Y CPU has a really good single thread performance and only 2 amps / 10 watts max!

Could the streaming cable for LattePanda be used for endpoint/server functionality?

It’s a really cool product. 

I think companies could also build hats (DACs, D to D converters, etc...) for these are well because of the exposed GPIO pins. 

The streaming cable is only for controlling the unit. I suppose you could make it an endpoint with it but I see no need because its Ethernet port is more than capable for streaming audio. 

I would love to see it powered by one of these: https://www.mpaudio.net/product-page/the-new-ald-hpuln-ps (this is sufficiently spec'd to power two units in server/endpoint)

Would need to have a small sealed Toroidal transformer, or a regular DC supply beforehand through.

I would test, but have just invested in some other power supplies for testing on NUC's...