IGNORED

SOtM sMS-200 Neo Upgrade - DIY Capacitor Details

Thanks for this. I may give this a try.

PS. How do you change the SMS 200 to 12v rather than the 9V design.

Analog: Rega P8 > Ortofon Cadenza Black > Bob's Devices 20:1 SUT > EAR 834P Deluxe MM/MC tube phono stage

Digital: Shanling ET-3 CD Transport. Streaming via SoTM SMS200 Ultra Neo w/ SPS500 power supply > Chord Hugo TT2

Sound: PS Audio PowerPlant3 >  Naim Supernait3 > Harbeth P3ESR

4 hours ago, creativepart said:

PS. How do you change the SMS 200 to 12v rather than the 9V design.

The internal change is only required on Ultra models, as it pertains to the sCLK-10Ex clock board.  I'm attaching a picture that was provided previously by SOTM which shows the positions on the board you need to look for, along with pictures of my own boards (my SMS-200 ultra has rev 1.3 and my tx-USB ultra has rev 1.2). 

For rev 1.3 boards, you just need to remove one or two jumpers.  For version 1.2 it's necessary to remove a blob of solder that connects two solder tabs on the board labelled as R342.  I highlighted jumpers with red circles, and the solder points with blue.

SOTM sCLK-10Ex Jumper setting1.jpg

SOTM sCLK-10Ex rev 1.2.jpg

SOTM sCLK-10Ex rev 1.3.jpg

• 2 months later...

Thanks so much for this info, electrafixion. I am on the verge of buying the old SMS-200 which I've found on sale, so this is very handy and I will surely upgrade myself. Do you still think the best bet is the Kemet, or have you found other candidates? I wonder what is the most important spec in this position in the power supply, low ESR maybe?

When you find the trick to upgrade to the Ultra let us know please 😊

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply. 

If you're handy then I'd go with the Kemet, but the Nichicon is a much cleaner fit. 

That's a good question about which electrical qualities matter most.  The Kemet is rated to handle very high ripple, but unless you're powering your SMS-200 with a super crappy power supply, that isn't likely to be needed.  The original Elan Tonerex is an "audio grade" cap (a notion of which makes some electrical engineers cringe); generally audio caps have poorer overall specs than other series, and they usually physically larger.  The Kemet is the biggest, so maybe that's what matters most!

As for upgrading to a regular SMS-200 to Ultra, adding a tx-USBultra after your SMS-200 should get you the same results.  That said, I was surprised to discover that adding the tx-USBultra after my SMS-200ultra resulted in a significant improvement in my system.  

• 5 weeks later...

Good work, electrafixion!

Learning from your mod, I did also on mine. Since I have caps around, I was able to fit a Kaisei 4700uf. The size is 25mm diameter x 35mm length. Link to the cap here:

https://www.partsconnexion.com/ANKECAP-83880.html

There is still about 3mm extra room at the diameter and about 7mm at the length so the fit is just right. I thought the capacitance is too big which is twice that of the Elna Tonerex that it replaced. I was concerned it will blow up because of the longer current load but after a couple of "burn-in" on and off cycles, everything is fine.

I was ready to add a coupling cap just in case I lose my highs. Audio Note also does not advertise the ESR of Kaisei but, to my surprise, transparency is even enhanced. Highs are preserved and even provided more clarity and details. Mid is magical and sweet. Mid bass is now more pronounced. Bass is driven with ease and the unit is not even fully burned-in yet. Wonderful mod. Thanks, electrafixion!

image.thumb.png.def4f44e070c1aeb3c0af4279f18d85a.png

image.thumb.png.a0e936ce87aa03ff95b4f9de5e7f4c64.png

image.thumb.png.68bed9876861caa7a568bf6474cd8faa.png

image.thumb.png.b772f5fcc676a13543f162cc2d5f215e.png

• 1 month later...

TopQuark, nice job with the installation. The Audio Note Kaisei caps ranks among the best of electrolytics. Can you please report back if your unit is still stable with the cap with 2x the capacitance of the stock cap?

4x20A circuits | Shunyata Triton + Typhon | Source 1: HDPlex HD100 PSU -> OCX clock + EtherRegen -> Paul Hynes SR4T + HDPlex HD500 PSUs -> Music PC w/JCAT XE nic, HQPlayer, Roon, Tidal / Qobuz |  TotalDAC D1 Twelve DAC + Mk II Streamer | Source 2: Acoustic Signature Ascona with Kuzma 4 Point tonearm | Koetsu Rosewood Signature cart | Pass XP-15 phono pre | Audionet Pre G2 preamp | Audionet Max mono blocks | Vivid Audio Giya Spirits |  4 JL Audio Fathom subs | Echole ICs /SCs / Siltech King jumpers, Shunyata/Audioquest PCs / Eth. Cs | Critical Mass CS2s -> components, Isoacoustics -> speakers + subs | Adona Eris II rack w/ Herbie's titanium footers | Fully treated and dedicated 2 channel room

I asked a friend who builds amps for a rec on which cap to buy. He's had good luck with Nichicon and suggested this one:

https://www.partsconnexion.com/NICHICON-76223.html

All I had to do was bend the leads to fit it on the board, and sounds great. 

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

38 minutes ago, audiobomber said:

I asked a friend who builds amps for a rec on which cap to buy. He's had good results with Nichicon and suggested this one:

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

1 hour ago, audiobomber said:

I asked a friend who builds amps for a rec on which cap to buy. He's had good luck with Nichicon and suggested this one:

The Nichicon KA series cap you used is an excellent general use audio cap, but the Nichicon KG series cap that I listed in my original post is Nichicon's highest grade cap for this application.  The KG costs twice as much, but it's a direct fit on the board, and it's specifically made for high end audio power supplies.

Parts Connexion is great for boutique parts, but they only carry a small percentage of Nichicon's product catalog.   Digikey and Mouser offer significantly more choices, faster shipping, and better prices.  Anyone can order from Digikey and Mouser, and there's no minimum order.

• 3 months later...

I just found this thread, and I'm about to do this mod. Going from TopQuark's post, are we not limited 3300uF?

Mundorf Mylitic comes in 4700uF 25V.

@electrafixion Do you think it would be worthwhile to try that?

Also, I'm going to replace the wiring on the SMS200. Any idea of what gauge to use? Are these wires just carrying audio signal or also current?

Right, I should've looked at the dimensions. But, first, I'm wondering if we have some room in the values and if high-end audiophile caps are worth looking into. 

I'd gladly pay the price of that AN Kasei if it improves on the Evox. 

Also, please let me know if you have any ideas about the wire. I have some 6N silver I repurposed from head phone cables, but I think it's only around 28AWG maybe. I wonder if that will do. 

I installed the AN Kasei and it was easily noticeable versus the stock Neo cap. better tighter and fuller bass and a bit more effortless in the overall sound FWIW. 

4x20A circuits | Shunyata Triton + Typhon | Source 1: HDPlex HD100 PSU -> OCX clock + EtherRegen -> Paul Hynes SR4T + HDPlex HD500 PSUs -> Music PC w/JCAT XE nic, HQPlayer, Roon, Tidal / Qobuz |  TotalDAC D1 Twelve DAC + Mk II Streamer | Source 2: Acoustic Signature Ascona with Kuzma 4 Point tonearm | Koetsu Rosewood Signature cart | Pass XP-15 phono pre | Audionet Pre G2 preamp | Audionet Max mono blocks | Vivid Audio Giya Spirits |  4 JL Audio Fathom subs | Echole ICs /SCs / Siltech King jumpers, Shunyata/Audioquest PCs / Eth. Cs | Critical Mass CS2s -> components, Isoacoustics -> speakers + subs | Adona Eris II rack w/ Herbie's titanium footers | Fully treated and dedicated 2 channel room

I used Connex 20awg silver hook up wire and Cardas silver solder. The distance to the pads is so short I doubt it makes much if any difference.

I believe the wiring was inter - board connections and probably 20 awg, maybe thinner. 

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Ricardo007 said:

Any tip to modify to SE status SotM master clock and Txusb ultra ? 

Does thé SMS 200 ultra  mods above apply ? 

The filter cap in the power input board is only applicable on the SMS-200 and SMS-200 Ultra.  That cap is the only difference between the later Neo models and the originals.

• 6 months later...
On 7/23/2020 at 1:02 AM, electrafixion said:

The USB-TXultra does not have a similar cap, the power goes straight from the power input board to the clock board.  Since SOTM doesn't make a "Neo" version of the USB-TXultra, so it's going to be hard to replicate one.

Hello

There is an SE version of TxUSB Ultra involving Evox caps change, since you have also this TxUSB Ultra any idea what kind of caps inside could be upgraded?