The Computer Audiophile

JRiver Media Media Center 25 would like to record this computer's screen?

Rate this topic

Hi @jriver, any idea why macOS Catalina pops up this message when I launch Media Center 25?

Media Center 25 would like to record this computer's screen.

Grant access to this application in Security & Privacy preferences, located in System Preferences. 

Screen Shot 2019-10-25 at 10.02.42 AM.png

Founder of Audiophile Style

Sounds like more security on Catalina side, not to do with JRiver.....

Current:  JRiver 24 on Win 10 PC (AMD Ryzen 5 2600 with 32 GB RAM) or Daphile on an I5-2500K with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Audio Research SP-16

Amplification - PS Audio S300

Speakers: Wharfedale Linton Heritage

Cables:Tara Labs and DiMarzio Interconnects

29 minutes ago, botrytis said:

It definitely is more security, but the only other app that has asked this exact question is Quicktime when I purposely created a screen recording. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

Heh..it seems even the audiophile software vendors are now jumping on the Big Brother bandwagon. There's probably some shady deal in place to sell off your "anonymized" listening/viewing preferences to 5th parties in JR25.

Its "almost" as bad as my Google Pixel phone harassing me every few hours that it needs access to the Microphone/Camera & Body Sensors in order to allow me to use the phone to dial a number 🙄

On 10/25/2019 at 1:13 PM, botrytis said:

Probably.  I've been using v25 since its release and never had such a message..............................from Win10.

Kal Rubinson

Music in the Round

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I think it is just a question asked because jriver do many things apart music... images, movies, streaming, tv... i would have answered NO if it was asked to me 😀

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini, i5, 2.5GHz, SSD, 16Gb, 10.15 > Audirvana Plus 3.5.24 > Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition >
Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series > Audirvana Remote > iPhone 8

That's a Mac thing, nothing we've changed.  I have no idea why they think we're recording the screen.  Our drawing is all our own, so that may confuse them.

Catalina has some new requirements.  We'll have a newer build in a week or two that should be less trouble.

Apple is requiring some new "notarization" of programs.  I'm traveling, so I haven't had a chance to find out more.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

15 hours ago, cjf said:

Heh..it seems even the audiophile software vendors are now jumping on the Big Brother bandwagon. There's probably some shady deal in place to sell off your "anonymized" listening/viewing preferences to 5th parties in JR25.

Your speculation isn't helpful.  There are no deals.  We'd ask you if we wanted to collect any data.

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com