IGNORED

Mac OS Catalina Disaster With Sonos and Roon

Mac OS Catalina has been a total disaster for me so far as far as music goes.  

I have used iTunes (Music) for years as many have.  The first issue is that I lost about 1/4 of my 2800 album covers.  Thankfully I have kept an archive of my album art as I quite frequently like to compare cover versions to get the best quality I can.  However is was a very tedious task of re-adding all those covers. The second issue with Music for me personally is the loss of the Column Browser function with Artwork in the Songs view.  I used this extensively for searching my collection and making metadata edits.  I really miss it.  I also do not like the loss of the Genre category that use to be available along with Artists, Albums and Songs.

I have Sonos equipment that I use. Now with Mac OS Catalina my Music Library is no longer available to me.  No matter what I do to create a new path to my library, the same path as used by Music my library won't load.  I can still play my library through Music (iTunes) using Airplay but I have reasons that I use Sonos at times.

The same thing holds true for Roon.  I can no longer access my library files for Roon.  Each time I try to set the path I get an error message that access is not authorized.

I've reach out to all three companies for support but as of now I don't have any answers to solve my problems especially with Roon and Sonos.  The loss of features in Music I will just have to live with.

If anyone is using Mac OS Catalina and Music and also Sonos and/or Roon successfully and could provide any insight your help would be greatly appreciated.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
6 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

anybody know how to kill the obnoxious upgrade annunciator in System Preferences?

1) Open Terminal (Finder > Applications > Utilities > Terminal)
2) Run: sudo /usr/sbin/softwareupdate --ignore "macOS Catalina"
3) Enter your login password if asked, hit Enter and you should get confirmation that “macOS Catalina” updates will be ignored.

When you want to allow the update again, you can run:

sudo /usr/sbin/softwareupdate --reset-ignored

On 10/25/2019 at 4:15 PM, wgscott said:

Streamer = proprietary computer in an inaccessible black box

Indeed.  But the streamer usually works.  The computer, not so much.

Just had a meeting of our audio club.  Our host has everything (music/movies) on his computer.  During our meeting he only had to reboot once.  a triumph!   

Computer Audio is fine if you like to tinker or you are a computer scientist.    For the rest of us........

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

1 hour ago, NOMBEDES said:

Just had a meeting of our audio club.  Our host has everything (music/movies) on his computer.  During our meeting he only had to reboot once.  a triumph!   

Taking a Bluesound Node2i into use was such a nerve wrecking experience that I've never had with a proper computer. And it still cannot play Amazon Music, although Amazon Music can be played for example on my phone. Go figure...

I only reboot my computers when required by software update, which is not frequently.

Most streamers are computers running Linux, typically some ancient mangled version. My computers are also running Linux, but up to date one...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Many are running dedicated Linux you mean. They still have the same issues, you just can't do anything about it when they break or have software issues.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Taking a Bluesound Node2i into use was such a nerve wrecking experience that I've never had with a proper computer. And it still cannot play Amazon Music, although Amazon Music can be played for example on my phone. Go figure...

I only reboot my computers when required by software update, which is not frequently.

Most streamers are computers running Linux, typically some ancient mangled version. My computers are also running Linux, but up to date one...

Many are running very out of date hardware too. I mean Bryston charges 1K for their Raspberry Pi player which has a $40 USD computer in it.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

I'm a newbie to both Mac (bought a Macbook Pro a few days ago) and started a Roon trial yesterday. I copied all of my music from an external drive (FAT 32 formatted) to the Mac and Roon reads them just fine. I do have a few missing covers, but it's not a huge deal to replace them. I haven't tried reading from an external drive, and I'm not in any hurry to mess things up!

I'm not 100% certain it came with Catalina, but I assume it did, and when I saw a software update, I clicked on it. Since it took about 90 minutes to update, I'm now guessing I had Mojave unless all OS updates that long. If I did have Mojave before, I'm now kicking myself for "updating"!

B&W 803D3 speakers

McIntosh MA9000 integrated amp

Esoteric K-03 SACD player; Chord Qutest DAC

VPI Prime Signature turntable/Ortofon Cadenza Bronze cartridge

Sennheiser HD800s, Audyssey LCD-xC headphones

4 hours ago, botrytis said:

Many are running dedicated Linux you mean. They still have the same issues, you just can't do anything about it when they break or have software issues.

Yes, although it is also not as easy to mess it up as regular OS like Windows.

For my software, I'm providing similar "firmware" images that run on a regular PC. If it goes broken, you can just reflash it. While of course the software can be also run on a normal Linux distro, so the choice is available.

So there are different shades of gray between the extremes. It is not as simple as having two silos; streamers and computers. That is also reason why I hate the term "streamer" because it is quite loosely defined alternative term for computer + software combo.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

24 minutes ago, Miska said:

Yes, although it is also not as easy to mess it up as regular OS like Windows.

For my software, I'm providing similar "firmware" images that run on a regular PC. If it goes broken, you can just reflash it. While of course the software can be also run on a normal Linux distro, so the choice is available.

So there are different shades of gray between the extremes. It is not as simple as having two silos; streamers and computers. That is also reason why I hate the term "streamer" because it is quite loosely defined alternative term for computer + software combo.

I prefer to be able to fix it myself.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

6 hours ago, DeathFugue said:

I'm not 100% certain it came with Catalina, but I assume it did, and when I saw a software update, I clicked on it. Since it took about 90 minutes to update, I'm now guessing I had Mojave unless all OS updates that long. If I did have Mojave before, I'm now kicking myself for "updating"!

The MacTracker app (free at the Apple App Store) or https://everymac.com/systems/apple/index-apple-specs-applespec.html will tell you the original version of MacOS when your model Mac was introduced.

If it is Mojave or older, you can revert to Mojave by downloading the installer:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-mojave/id1398502828

You'll have to install Mojave on an empty partition, then use Migration Assistant to copy your apps, data, prefs, etc from your backup of your current Catalina volume.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

3 hours ago, kirkmc said:

Yet another developer - Roon - who ignored what Apple told them to do regarding file and folder permissions. Just like that DJ software that was making the rounds a couple of weeks ago, attempting to pin the blame on Apple, whereas it was just lazy developers. 

Agree. Catalina works pretty well, if there is a problem (or "disaster" according to OP) it is with several particular software developers, who didn't make necessary changes yet.

It is just like MS and Win 10. The developers do not listen to MS and we have issues and then blame the OS.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590