IGNORED

Schiit Yggy GS

bobbmd

Question

just noticed this version of Yggy on Schiit web page but i don't understand difference between Analog 1 and Analog 2- the GS is Analog 1

i was planning to buy new Gungnir multibit but GS is only few 100$ more and if it is a Gen5 USB with the 'better' more expensive DAC chips seems 'too good to pass up'--the web page description isn't really clear

does anyone know definitively if the GS is GEN5USB and is a multibit DAC or should i stick with buying new multibit Gungnir??

thanks bobbmd

10 answers to this question

the a1 boards are the original boards for the yggy.  as chris mentioned, the a2 boards were implemented in the v2 yggy.  the a1 boards were very good, the a2 supposedly sound a bit better.

with the yggy gs, you'll get the a1 boards, the usb gen 5, and upgraded firmware (a1 yggys could not get this unless they sent their unit in for an upgrade).  you'll also have the option to upgrade to the a2 boards for $650 (see the website) plus roundtrip shipping.  you'll also have the option to upgrade to the unison usb boards when they are available.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100

@The Computer Audiophile: Yep that's what it is but what is an Analog 1? Is it a Gen5USB? From what I can gather it must be multibit because it's a Yggy correct? and has the same expensive DAC chips that are 'better' than chips in Gungnir multibit but it is 'used' with new Analog 1

What do think Yggy GS or brand new Gungnir multibit either will be paired with new Rggy 2(just an amp) and new set of Legacy Audio Studio HD monitors

All I listen to now is HD/HiRes streaming from TIDAL/Qobuz web pages or from ROON/A+3 and my 800 ripped CD's in apple lossless incorporated into all of above

This probably at my age is my last system and satisfies my CFO to KISS so i want to make the correct decision would appreciate yours or others opinion have posted this elsewhere on different forums and have emailed Schiit for their input

bobbmd

@The Computer Audiophile thanks that was my idea simply because of chips and your original review of it-Yggy ( and my CFO shouldn't catch on that it's little more than what I said was going to for the DAC and Rggy 2)

FWIW I think they infer you can't upgrade that GS but I didn't understand everything they said about it

thanks for you opinion was hoping you would say that!

bobbmd

7 hours ago, bobbmd said:

@Bobcatva did you get it in black ? got the DAC and the amp in black--glad you are pleased as am

@bobbmd Yes, I got the black. I really didn't want silver and passed on Gumby when only available in silver a few years back and went with Cambridge Audio Azur 851D.  I do have to look at the equipment racks and want it to look as nice as possible. The Mrses also appreciates that.