IGNORED

NAS confusion

17 hours ago, nemick said:

I am planning on purchasing a Linn Selekt early next year and I want to connect to a QNAP NAS which I will also be purchasing. The NAS will be replacing a USB hard drive and the Selekt will be replacing my Mac Mini and my current MF DAC and the spdif converter or whatever it is.

I want to continue using JRiver Media Center, as I have gotten used to it and I like what it does. Can someone help me understand how I implement JRiver into all of this and whereabouts it lies in the system, etc?

As @PARhas already pointed out, it looks like you've also got an audio file player confusion - given your plan of purchasing a Linn Selekt network audio file player, yet still wanting to continue using JRiver Media Center:

- Have you realised you will no longer be using JRMC as the audio file player?

JRMC will be just controlling the Linn which will actually be playing the audio files, though you should still be able to engage JRMC's audio engine as a transcoder - so perform any required resampling & other DSP (if that's one of the reasons you 'like what it does') on the audio file tracks before they are sent over the network for the Linn to play;

- Do you know that the Linn Selekt will not support gapless playback when controlled by JRMC?

This is because JRiver only supports standard UPnP/DLNA streaming, not OpenHome (aka UPnP with Linn extensions) streaming and Linn DS devices only support gapless playback when used as OpenHome streamers. So be prepared for gaps between album tracks that are not meant to be there.

Also, assuming your current version of JRMC is running on the Mac Mini with attached USB HDD, ditching the Mac Mini & USB HDD for a QNAP NAS appears to be an odd decision as there isn't a version of JRMC designed specifically for running on a QNAP NAS. It may be possible to get around that problem, but be prepared for a fair amount of Linux DIY using Docker:

JRiver on QNAP

It would be useful to know what exactly are your reasons for wanting to continue using JRiver Media Center?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

1 hour ago, jcbenten said:

There is an app for QNAP for JRiver: https://is.gd/SKFe0e

If you to go the JRiver forum thread I linked to in my last post, it does mention that very same QNAP app and it is no longer supported by JRiver - the advice is not to use it as it is unreliable and if you must run JRiver on QNAP, use the Docker method instead. See also:

MC22 for QNAP (TS-453b mini 8GB)

MC22 for QNAP (HD-Station) aborts after entering Master License for MC23

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox