IGNORED

Article: dCS Bartok Review

Excellent review, very well written, full of details and comparisons. Thank you!

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Very useful review for folks seeking a new DAC.  Very thorough and informative.  Thank you.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Great, accomplished review. Q&A really helped display the team’s design goals.

Whoever wants to compare this to a half-baked review of the Bartók, have a read at the PT-Audiophile website (I can’t even be bothered to link or mention the disgraced reviewer :ph34r:). Why they even bother with part 2? 

29 minutes ago, ted_b said:

Rajiv,

Great review!  I love both the writing style and the review outline/structure.  Great stuff.  I am only saddened to know that you got to hear the Rossini.  :)  Oh well, bucket list stuff. 

Great review, Rajiv.  I have the Bartok and agree with every point you raised but must admit to be saddened when you brought in the Rossini...had always assumed, as you did, that the improvements would be apparent but modest...oh, well!   As mentioned above, bucket list stuff!

@ted_b, @wdw More folk like me put the Bartók on the bucket list, which is more saddening (kidding). One of dCS’s traits is to continuously develop their current equipment via firmware updates, and the Bartók has only just been released. It’s entirely feasible for Bartók’s performance to get closer (to very close) to the Rossini at some point, but there’s no certainty to it.

2 minutes ago, taipan254 said:

Great review, Rajiv. Actually reading this at the Odd Duck on S. Lamar. I dig your city! 

Cool! That's a great spot.

2 minutes ago, taipan254 said:

I will admit that the thought of a DAC that can't be improved with upstream tweaks scares me a bit... I guess I'd have to learn how to build speakers! 

Well... not quite "can't," just not as much. Remember - I said I was tempted to stop tinkering... not that I would actually stop!

4 hours ago, ted_b said:

I am only saddened to know that you got to hear the Rossini.  :)  Oh well, bucket list stuff. 

4 hours ago, wdw said:

must admit to be saddened when you brought in the Rossini...had always assumed, as you did, that the improvements would be apparent but modest...oh, well!   As mentioned above, bucket list stuff!

So true. I'm like a moth drawn to flame. But I couldn't resist!

3 hours ago, tmarshl said:

Dear Rajiv,

Thank you for a detailed and objective review.  This review is refreshing, considering so many "fanboy" reviews that are published.  I have owned the Bartok since it first became available, and I consider it to be a perfect piece of gear for me.  I feed it with a Roon Nucleus via Ethernet.  I discover and listen to a lot of music via Tidal Masters and Qobuz.  I have been re-listening to my entire music collection on the Bartok, and have been amazed at what I have been missing (I upgraded from the Chord Dave).  The organic realism of the sound from the Bartok into my Focal Utopia headphones (also with Transparent Ultra balanced cable) and Raal Requisite SR1a "earfield speakers",  without warning will jolt me out of my listening reverie with sound so authentic that I could swear I am in the same room with the musicians. 

Thanks. I really need to get my hands on the RAAL. Time to go to a CanJam!