IGNORED

Using Uptone LPS 1 On Downstream FMC

1 hour ago, FIndingit said:

I do just that and it certainly is of merit. Although I have modded my MC-100CM to accept 3.3v in. Recommended. 

That's the FMC I am using.

What is the default voltage for the power supply? Does it not accept the LPS 1's selectable voltage range which is why you had to modify it?

2 hours ago, mikey8811 said:

That's the FMC I am using.

What is the default voltage for the power supply? Does it not accept the LPS 1's selectable voltage range which is why you had to modify it?

I've had those. 5v to 9v I believe is the range (unless modified I guess). The Sonore opticalModules are in another league altogether if you can ever stretch to at least one on the endpoint. Best practice is to be sure to plug the sending and receiving FMC's on different circuits for true isolation. I have the streamer on it's own dedicated circuit as well (the opticalModules aren't dedicated circuits, just different). 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

@wklie and @charlesphoto thanks. That was very helpful.

I will try 7V as it is in between and what worked in the @austinpop post linked.

@charlesphoto unfortunately, I can't afford to spring for the Sonore Optical module. What were the sonic differences you had with that?

Also, i noticed you are using the Ghent Neotech 7N solid JSSG DC cable. Is this it?

http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc-7n16c.html

I was thinking of getting one or the higher gauge one 7N18C.

How does that compare to the Sonore Cardas DC 4 or Gotham GAC 4?

Thanks

9 hours ago, mikey8811 said:

@wklie and @charlesphoto thanks. That was very helpful.

I will try 7V as it is in between and what worked in the @austinpop post linked.

@charlesphoto unfortunately, I can't afford to spring for the Sonore Optical module. What were the sonic differences you had with that?

Also, i noticed you are using the Ghent Neotech 7N solid JSSG DC cable. Is this it?

http://www.ghentaudio.com/part/dc-7n16c.html

I was thinking of getting one or the higher gauge one 7N18C.

How does that compare to the Sonore Cardas DC 4 or Gotham GAC 4?

Thanks

That's the cable I'm using; I had DIY'd a Neotech 12ga cable and really liked the sound (basically just two very short wires separated by air to plugs) but that wan't usable when I changed setup. No experience with the Gotham or Sonore cable, but pretty sure you can't go wrong with any of them. 7N18C is a smaller gauge cable than the 7N16 (remember, the smaller the number, the bigger the wire). The solid cable can be difficult to manage, so measure appropriately and consider using 45 degree connector(s) if necessary. 

The oM compared to the TP-Link: The TP's I always thought were doing 'something' positive, but it was always hard to really pin it down it was so subtle. Nothing subtle about the oM's - my analogy is like applying a sharpening filter in PS to a CMOS camera sensor (but not too much). The information is all there, but the oM just snaps it into place. Bass control (and bigger), details, cleaner treble, all the usual. Big difference on using an LPS-1.2 vs LPS-1 on the final oM (my LPS-1 fried in a downed line incident and Uptone gave me a great deal on an upgrade as the LPS-1 was still under warranty). Not as big a difference using two oM's, but still a change from TP>oM. The MC100CM won't 'play' with the oM though, only full gigabyte LC converters. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab.