I downloaded The latest Catilina on my MacBook Pro and now Audirvana is giving me an error message when I try to log into Audirvana. I can't get into Audirvana for anything. 

Any suggestions?? 

Do you have the latest version of Audirvana?

From the Audirvana support page: Audirvana 3.5 for Mac is 100% compatible with Catalina, since 3.5.23.

- got the AIFF on the APFS -

What's the error message?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> eero Pro router -> EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen (powered by LPS-1) -> Ghent JSSG360 USB cable -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

8 minutes ago, kirkmc said:

that an app hasn't been updated by its developer to work correctly with a new operating system?

I'm not sure that's actually the situation. It works fine with Catalina here.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> eero Pro router -> EtherREGEN -> microRendu -> USPCB -> ISO Regen (powered by LPS-1) -> Ghent JSSG360 USB cable -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC -> Spectral DMC-12 & DMA-150 -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

I'm not sure that's actually the situation. It works fine with Catalina here.

Then it's a specific user who has apps that are conflicting with Audirvana. But it's not some dumb reason like Steve Jobs reaching out from the grave to limit someone's access to high-res music. Some people here need to grow up a bit. 

I write about Macs, iTunes, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of iTunes 12

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

I imagine it wasn't meant to be taken completely seriously. I have my own peeves about MacOS and Macs when it comes to audio regarding hangovers from the Jobs era (limited internally to 24/96; no native DSD, just DoP available without proprietary drivers).

Well in fact - look, it's quite true that the world is using mp3 and Apple's lossy compressed equivalent, not Redbook or hi res, all because Steve Jobs wanted to be able to advertise the original iPod as "a thousand songs in your pocket." But with storage requirements and Internet speeds at the time, he wasn't wrong. And even today, high speed cell coverage is sufficiently spotty and 128GB iPhones a tight enough storage requirement that trying to make a music ecosystem on the basis of 24/96 resolution isn't yet timely from a customer experience perspective. And for Apple, the higher end computers are going to serve the phones for the foreseeable future.

Before the iPod, other devices were using MP3s. It's not about marketing, it's about storage space. Back in 2001, storage was at a premium. (Remember, the first iPod was 5 GB.) And, as you say, it's not ideal to use very large files on mobile devices - honestly, given the way most people listen, with a lot of noise around them, I don't see the point - and I can't see that changing in the near future. There has always been a difference between what fixed computing devices and mobile devices can do, and while we're getting close to a period when data will be faster, even unlimited for many people, we're not there yet. I understand people who want to, for example, take a bunch of high-res files on their phone to play on their computers at work, but I don't understand anyone who wants to listen to high-res while walking or in the car. 

And AAC is not "Apple's lossy compressed equivalent;" I would have thought that most people here knew that. It's part of the MP4 specification. Apple Lossless, however, is a codec that Apple created, but it's been open source for many years. 

The point is that AAC is lossy and compressed. And I pointed out that Jobs wasn't wrong, and still isn't in terms of consumer experience on mobile devices.

Jobs' excellent authorized biography by Walter Isaacson has the "thousand songs in your pocket" marketing slogan story.

By the way, I enjoy hi res in my car. 🙂 Driving back from this year's RMAF, my neighbor and I entertained ourselves for a good half of the 6 hour trip with it.

Edit: Also, I find hi res over good IEMs is just the thing for hour-long walks out in quiet, unpopulated desert. But this of course isn't the typical experience walking with a mobile device.

And your car stereo and speakers are capable of handling the audio?

Even so, you can't deny that you lose most of not all of the advantages of high-res audio in a noisy environment like that. (Unless, perhaps, you have a Bentley...)

2 minutes ago, kirkmc said:

And your car stereo and speakers are capable of handling the audio?

Even so, you can't deny that you lose most of not all of the advantages of high-res audio in a noisy environment like that. (Unless, perhaps, you have a Bentley...)

You're absolutely correct, you lose a lot of the music to ambient noise in the car. On the other hand, the same is true of lossy compressed audio. 🙂 And when there isn't a lot there in the first place, I wonder what the effect of losses to ambient noise is.

What really gets me is the aggression of some people in forums like this, as if listening to compressed music is somehow evil. I have often thought about writing an article about this, but, to be honest, the percentage of people who really care is so small that it's not worth it. I love single malt whiskey; I wouldn't criticize someone who drinks Johnny Walker. I like first-flush Darjeeling tea; I don't criticize people who make tea from teabags. And there are so many other examples. While something may be technically inferior if you look at specs, that doesn't mean that the person who disagrees with you has any less pleasure because they choose different options. 

Just now, Jud said:

You're absolutely correct, you lose a lot of the music to ambient noise in the car. On the other hand, the same is true of lossy compressed audio. 🙂 And when there isn't a lot there in the first place, I wonder what the effect of losses to ambient noise is.

My guess is that it is exactly in those areas where high-res is said to be better: dynamic range and higher frequencies. 

It amazed my that Neil Young had people listen to his Pono device in a car... 

3 minutes ago, kirkmc said:

My guess is that it is exactly in those areas where high-res is said to be better: dynamic range and higher frequencies. 

It amazed my that Neil Young had people listen to his Pono device in a car... 

You seem to've pretty well nailed me - when I used to commute an hour each way to work every day, I liked listening to my Pono in the car! 😀

I enjoy the heck out of lossy compressed music too. I grew up with transistor radios, car radios and 45s on cheap turntables, and had a great time with all of it.

BTW, when I can (if the car audio has a miniplug Aux input), I run the iPhone digital output for hi res through a portable DAC before sending it to the car amp and speakers. Also go through the portable DAC for long flights.

Does any of this make a particle of difference? Don't really care, I'm just enjoying my music. 🙂

@The Computer Audiophile Why was my 2 responses to @kirkmc deleted or not posted what did i say that was so bad? no more sarcastic or humorous than any anyone else's and i certainly wasn't being aggressive( i think i once told someone to 'bugger off') and that is about as aggressive i have ever been (and it wasn't deleted) compared some am i now banned? you usually have something to say if someone does something bad.

thanks bobbmd

5 minutes ago, bobbmd said:

@The Computer Audiophile Why was my 2 responses to @kirkmc deleted or not posted what did i say that was so bad? no more sarcastic or humorous than any anyone else's and i certainly wasn't being aggressive( i think i once told someone to 'bugger off') and that is about as aggressive i have ever been (and it wasn't deleted) compared some am i now banned? you usually have something to say if someone does something bad.

thanks bobbmd

You're not banned, but your first post was dumb, and your second was a bit aggressive to me, so I deleted them. (I have moderator rights in this forum.)

Sometimes you really don't need to chime in if you have nothing constructive to say. 

6 minutes ago, bobbmd said:

thanks bobbmd

Hi Bob - Kirk is the moderator of the "Apple" forum here on AS. I'm sure it's nothing personal that you guys can't resolve here in public or via PM. You're both good guys. 

Founder of Audiophile Style

@The Computer Audiophile @kirkmc whatever i said i am so sorry that it offended you and i will never come back to this forum have no need was just bored and had nothing else to do yesterday---'aggressive' ?me?(what gives you the RIGHT to allude to me but deleted my posts?) but no one calls a 72 year physician's comments or him DUMB and BTW i have 10000 reason(purchased originally at about 8$/share) why i have the right to say anything i want about APPLE(they have done very well for me and all my equipment is APPLE) so bye bye now

BUT i demand you put back my posts they were not dumb or offensive except to your thin skin and PLEASE allow this post to stay