IGNORED

Airplay to HQPlayer on Windows 10

Jerry

I'm currently running Tidal -> Roon -> HQPlayer -> DSD256 EC on a PC, I know running HQPlayer embedded will accept DLNA source but wondering what would be the best (bit perfect) setup to send audio (mostly Redbook) by Airplay to a Windows 10 PC and convert to DSD by HQPlayer? Thanks!

With S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) or AES/EBU from suitable source device.

Cheaper options like Airport Express. But if it absolutely doesn't have to be Airplay, Chromecast Audio serves same purpose and is more flexible.

Or more flexibility (and price) with something like Bluesound Node2i.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

Thanks Jussi, I remember you mentioned the S/PDIF solution which is hardware based (so is Airport Express), I'm more interested in a software solution, ie. Airplay server to HQPlayer that does it bit perfectly.

I have tried Shairport4w (Airport Server) -> Virtual Audio Cable -> HQPlayer, it works, but HQPlayer shows 32bits input where the source is clear 16bit. I'm hoping for an elegant solution like Roon that tells me the whole signal path is bit perfect from Airplay input to HQPlayer. Thanks!

2 hours ago, Jerry said:

Thanks Jussi, I remember you mentioned the S/PDIF solution which is hardware based (so is Airport Express), I'm more interested in a software solution, ie. Airplay server to HQPlayer that does it bit perfectly.

I have tried Shairport4w (Airport Server) -> Virtual Audio Cable -> HQPlayer, it works, but HQPlayer shows 32bits input where the source is clear 16bit. I'm hoping for an elegant solution like Roon that tells me the whole signal path is bit perfect from Airplay input to HQPlayer. Thanks!

Hardware solutions are just easy in some ways... Like I play from Mac Mini over AES to HQPlayer Embedded server.

I wouldn't worry about 16 -> 32 bit, it doesn't necessarily change anything. CoreAudio is 32-bit floating point anyway.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers