IGNORED

Dominique Fils-Aime live and gratuit in Paris, Nov 29th

Dominique Fils-Aime, the wonderful singer/artist from Montréal, is announced as performer for the 20h concert at Friday 29th of November 2019 at the Festival Aurores Montreal @ the Centre Culturel Canadien in Paris, Rue Faubourg Saint Honoré.

Places are to be obtained for free by online reservation on the site.

https://canada-culture.org/en/event/dominique-fils-aime/#booking

Good luck & see you there 😎

A+ Tom

insta-artiste-1080x1080-DFA-1024x1024.jpg

• 1 month later...

Concertt review Dominique Fils Aime @ Centre Culturel Canadien , Paris

Last Friday I went on the French highways to make some 400 miles for Dominque Fils-Aimé , heading to vibrant Paris from my sleepy suburb close to a sleepy university town in the sleepy Val de la Lore. Yawn.
I spent about 7 hours on the road and about 90 minutes in the train to arrive perfectly timed for my first ever rendezvous with some smoked ale by Raftman as appetizer for the long anticipated concert in the Centre Cultural Canadian in the heart of Paris.
The concert, organized in the frame of the Festival Aurores Montreal, was for free and were announced via social media and the media partners of the CCC (look @ their twitter 4 quality videos of the event: https://twitter.com/cc_canadien). It happened inside the centre at an venue for about 400 people which to my surprise was not fully packed.

Dominique played with her "small" band, without Didgeridoo, Piano and horns.
The setup comprised on her right side the rhythm section with Danny Trudeau on bass /  Salin Cheewapansri on drums, while at the left guitarist v Etienne Miousse  and keyboarder Jean-Michel Frédéric enjoyed the audience. Dominique did not play any manual instrument live, she is the vocalists and her voice could count as one,  usually dominating the scene and the songs.

I have posted the playlist in the other thread, which indicated that the entry had been a couple of songs from the Nameless album, while the core of the set had been taken from the red "Stay Tuned" record, from which I bought the vinyl version before leaving for the outskirt train.
I enjoyed the "blue" songs a lot, but it proved difficult to create the acoustic atmosphere of the album that evening.
Listening to her songs from the red album live finally convinced me of their qualities, which hadn't be the case when listening to them via Qobuz.
During the last days I have heard "Stay Tuned!"on a daily basis and I need to admit the songs are really growing with me. I feel that in my system the High-Res version at 24/96 has sonic advantages compared to vinyl. Especially in the clear presentation of the low ends, i.e. Gun Burial.

The performance of Dominique was very intense & beautiful, thus I feel the band would merit a real jazz club atmosphere. The artist is just at the beginning of her career with 35 years of age, and her voice is sometimes close to the classic female jazz artists and at others just brings Sade and Marvin Gaye to mind. Her music from 2019 is particularly more related to soul and less of our beloved acoustic arrangements. Though she is not only vocalist but as well the songwriter/composer, which might explain why in my first impressions the songs gave me the idea of being much less in balance as the music from her first record and showing at times a light unfinished character. This might sound a bit unfair, because the 2nd coming is always the hardest. Especially if the first oeuvre had already been stellar.
On stage, supported by her personal aura the new compositions worked a lot better (for me).  Like a charm, actually ;-)
The concert were running a bit longer than an hour, though it was fully packed of soulful tunes, emotional driven moments , excellent musicians and a typical cold Paris audience.Enthusiasm is not theirs, sadly.

I like to risk a bigmouth shout out: We have seen a rising star!!! This hours was worth to invest half a day of travelling, and I would even have considered to pay  the 27 Euros admission to tomorrow's venue in Fontainebleau, but there is a general strike in Paris starting this evening.
I fully agree the way FIP has put it: "
Dominique Fils-Aimé alterne douceur et fureur sur les 15 titres de Stay Tuned! où s'entremêlent avec subtilité les langages blues, gospel, folk, soul, jazz et parfois trip hop"
"Dominique Fils-Aimé alternates sweetness and fury on the 15 tracks of Stay Tuned! where blues, gospel, folk, soul, jazz and sometimes trip hop languages are subtly intertwined"
Don't miss her next time !!!
Cheers, Tom