IGNORED

Ripping your digital files to vinyl

Silly product but could be fun novelty for some.

I wonder though how this sounds like (need a YouTube video). Would be impressed if the cut 10" disks eve n halfway sounds decent...

I don't think they said how much for each blank disk.

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

30 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Absolutely!

The other day they asked one of my granddaughters that they had to bring something technologically weird and different to school. I gave her some audio tubes and not even the teacher knew what they were or what they were for ...

Roch

1 hour ago, Archimago said:

I wonder though how this sounds like (need a YouTube video). Would be impressed if the cut 10" disks eve n halfway sounds decent...

I don't think they said how much for each blank disk.

You would also first need to use RIAA EQ before cutting it, in order to play it back with a normal Vinyl setup.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

• 2 weeks later...

I'm truly amazed at how far off the mark these responses are!  No audiophile would actually want to rip digital files to vinyl copies, especially given the data storage and cost limitations of a 10" record that will cost at least $10 - that's not the target market.  The stylus is projected to be good for about 100 discs - but it's part of the cutting head, which is not user replaceable and will apparently have to be exchanged when a new stylus is needed.  They do not even project a cost range for this, and you know it ain't gonna be cheap.   

The Phonocut is for more specialized use, e.g. as a niche tool to mix digital files into "cool" mix discs for amateur DJs at parties (and maybe even to impress a hot date...).  It's for pro and competitive DJs wanting to put specific sounds on their own discs for scratching / scrubbing.   Even better, if the quality is there, this device would be a very useful adjunct to anybody's recording setup for direct to disc live capture of one or two tunes. And it could also be useful for mixing down and mastering high quality digital recordings directly to vinyl (e.g. as one-off gifts or demos). 

This'd be great for students of the music and recording business to learn and develop their interest in and skill with vinyl.  It also offers a way for an artist to prepare a pretty special press package to promote himself or herself and to stand out from the pack of those who hand out CD and USB sticks or download links.  With printable labels, jackets and sleeves, such a demo could be a really powerful intro to an unknown.  If used by an independent studio whose clients are budding pros, it'd get the job done a lot cheaper and faster than having to send the recording to a mastering / cutting lab for a few discs.  I can't find any mention on their website of whether it will cut a second side.  I suspect not, but putting 4 tunes on a 10" disc that sold for $35 might even make it useful for indie artists and bands who do it all themselves.  That market seems to value spontaneity and coolness over perfection in performance and recording.

I couldn't find any useful tech info on their website, so I have no idea how good it is electronically or mechanically.  They're apparently testing prototypes in LA studios right now, so if it's any good we'll almost certainly hear about it. They do offer an interesting video of a live session in which they make comparison of a tune from vinyl that was cut the "real way" on a Scully with the same performance cut at the same time on the Phonocut. Unfortunately, it's only an mp4 , so I didn't learn much from it except that the Phonocut is not a toy.

It's hard to imagine that it rivals a Scully at a projected price of $1200 - but how many Kickstarter projects actually end up selling for their projected price?  I'm looking forward to seeing and hearing what it can do.......and at what final price.