IGNORED

macOS catalina

bobbmd

any advice on upgrading to this from el capitan

will my streaming music sound quality in cd/hires from roon a+3 tidal qobuz be degraded in anyway have no interest or skills to do 'workarounds' if needed

am perfectly happy with what i have now for macOS

thanks

bobbmd

I've been using Catalina beta for the past month or so. No problems at all in regards compatibility with software I use ( Tidal, Audirvana ). Sound is fine. I don't use Room or qobuz. If you have concerns you might wait until the final version ofCatalina is released.

22 hours ago, avta said:

I've been using Catalina beta for the past month or so. No problems at all in regards compatibility with software I use ( Tidal, Audirvana ). Sound is fine. I don't use Room or qobuz. 

Would you say music via Catalina/Audirvana sounds better than via the former Mac OS/Audirvana?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

The only issue I have that's preventing me from updating my music streamer (also a Mac mini) - and this might not affect a lot of other folks here - is that I use iTunes with the BitPerfect app, which adds on-the-fly resolution switching and integer mode (making all output... bit-perfect). And I am pretty sure that the move from iTunes to the Music app will break BitPerfect. And since Mojave created a small bug in BitPerfect, which the developer still has not patched, I am pessimistic about BitPerfect ever being compatible with the Catalina Music app. So my music streamer stays at High Sierra unless or until I decide to totally switch my playback software.

@wgscott@tmtomh thank you and wg like minds....have you listened to 'saint of circumstance' yet what do you think and my almost 40yo just told me about 'reckoning' don't think i ever listened to it??!!

am getting new gungnir multibit and raggy2 with legacy audio hd stereo monitors can't wait..wg what do think of that setup? would you biwire the speakers and what about adding a pair old cambridge soundworks passive/slave subwoofers(just run wire from amp through the woofers to the legacies) or just an old cambridge soundworks powered subwoofer as an out from the ragg2(henry kloss's old last company)?

On 10/10/2019 at 10:48 AM, bobbmd said:

any advice on upgrading to this from el capitan

will my streaming music sound quality in cd/hires from roon a+3 tidal qobuz be degraded in anyway have no interest or skills to do 'workarounds' if needed

am perfectly happy with what i have now for macOS

thanks

bobbmd

Roon is currently not working properly with Catalina according to numerous posts on their forums. 

On 10/11/2019 at 9:47 AM, bobbmd said:

@wgscott@tmtomh thank you and wg like minds....have you listened to 'saint of circumstance' yet what do you think and my almost 40yo just told me about 'reckoning' don't think i ever listened to it??!!

am getting new gungnir multibit and raggy2 with legacy audio hd stereo monitors can't wait..wg what do think of that setup? would you biwire the speakers and what about adding a pair old cambridge soundworks passive/slave subwoofers(just run wire from amp through the woofers to the legacies) or just an old cambridge soundworks powered subwoofer as an out from the ragg2(henry kloss's old last company)?

Sorry, only just saw this.  I haven't heard St. of Circumstance yet, but Reckoning (which was once also published under the title "For the Faithful" if memory serves) is outstanding, and acoustic.  I don't have any experience with the components you are getting, sorry.  

The other thing about Catalina is 32 bit programs will no longer work, if that is a concern for you.

My 2014 Mac was in bad need of a refresh so I just completed the disk wipe and reinstalled the OS and then upgraded to Catalina.  Just for the heck of it, I bought Bitperfect to try out Apple Music service.  I must say, it sounded pretty good, probably better than Spotify.  But because I go DAC direct to amp, I do not have good control of the volume, the default level is way too loud so that will not work as my wife thinks I play music too loud anyways.  I see no way to adjust the system volume level?

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available