IGNORED

macOS catalina

bobbmd

any advice on this ?? will it degrade my streaming hires music playlists and my itunes library 800+cd's in AIFF/sound quality from tidal qobuz roon and a+3 ??

haven't updated since el capitan because of supposed sound quality issues/degradation of sound quality-am perfectly happy with what i have currently

On 10/10/2019 at 4:44 PM, bobbmd said:

any advice on this ?? will it degrade my streaming hires music playlists and my itunes library 800+cd's in AIFF/sound quality from tidal qobuz roon and a+3 ??

haven't updated since el capitan because of supposed sound quality issues/degradation of sound quality-am perfectly happy with what i have currently

BTW, IMO it is better to post in the already existing Catalina thread than to open a new one.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

2 hours ago, bobbmd said:

@matthias  thanks didn't know this existed but again the advice is about what i got before and am sticking to tried and true El Capitan and as someone else said what do i need access to 50000 emojis for if i just listen to music read my emails and this illustrious forum and do EMR's??

If you buy a new Mac, do you think you are going to be able to run something like El Capitan on it? I'm pretty sure you won't be able to, because old versions of macOS cannot support hardware newer than the OS...

It is sort of futile exercise to stick to some ancient OS version, apart from many potential security problems. At most you can stick to current minus one.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

25 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Lots of systems available used or as refurbs in the Apple Store.

It won't be futile for several years.

Refurbs in Apple Store? Never seen such... Do you mean a physical Apple Store? There's no such anywhere within several hundred km or maybe even over 1000 km.

Also newer versions of applications won't support older versions of macOS. For example development tools I use now support minimum 10.13. Of course one can stick with everything-old.

My old Mac Mini won't get OS udpates anymore (security problem). And the old iMac is so horribly slow that it is not so useful anymore. So I switched to a new iMac with i9-9900K it is sooo much faster - and runs Mojave minimum.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

@Miskawhat i have twice now is removed the original 1TB HD from my late 2012 mac mini replaced it with a WD 2TB hd and recently replaced that with a 4TB WD SSD HD superfast efficient( done at a certified Apple repair store never go to an Apple store) kept my OS as el capital and like @wgscott just listen to music from TIDAL Qobuz  or use ROON/A+3 and do few other thing mail searches and my EMR all my photos are there etc and i have made 4 different backups plus 3 older HD's

again why upgrade and risk Apple 'playing' with your music listening enjoyment just so you can have access to 50000 new emojis and 'security' have never had an issue with that use malwarebytes and never open anything that is suspicious or sketchy